New Walbro 450 (E85) pump and C6 Z06

phxcobra

GTABurnout

So I have one of these "updated" pumps sitting in the garage, for the Evo. But I just had a friend with the "updated" pump have his die after about two months of use. Little worried about wasting my time installing it just to have it fail?

So I have one of these "updated" pumps sitting in the garage, for the Evo. But I just had a friend with the "updated" pump have his die after about two months of use. Little worried about wasting my time installing it just to have it fail?

That's the problem with the latest and greatest. With as many of these pumps that went in, we will start seeing failures in he near future if there is an inherent problem with them. Sorry to hear about your friend's luck, was he on E85?

Man, that is really a crappy deal.

Hopefully it is an isolated incident. I am running an Aeromotive Pro Series Stealth pump, and they do not even make it anymore. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside....

• 4 weeks later...

Pete.....what was your final solution on the fuel pump issue ?

I actually haven't done anything yet. I kissed the wall at Firebird main a few months back (tore up my splitter, need a new bumper support) and have been so tied up with work that the car has just sat since then. I finally have some free time and looking to get the car squared away (fab a splitter, see what else under the bumper needs replacing) and will be looking at doing the e450 I think.

Pete.....what was your final solution on the fuel pump issue ?

I actually haven't done anything yet. I kissed the wall at Firebird main a few months back (tore up my splitter, need a new bumper support) and have been so tied up with work that the car has just sat since then. I finally have some free time and looking to get the car squared away (fab a splitter, see what else under the bumper needs replacing) and will be looking at doing the e450 I think.

Gotcha !!! :thumbs:

I can't remember....which cam did you go with on your build ?

Its a custom comp cams grind. NicD had it just over 600 rwp before fueling became a problem. He said it was still taking more timing but didn't want to push it. With the stock pump it gets a little lean in the upper rpms. Plus I do HPDE so I don't want to be running on the edge. From what I've read, the e450 should give me plenty of headroom and I think it's a better solution than a BAP imo.

I ran out of fuel pump as well, but with the Torquer. I wasn't making any more power, really, so I just will run with the OEM unit.....but my fuel pressure drops to 50-49 psi at WOT at 7000 RPM.

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd update this thread. Had Joe@CPR put in the e450 pump in and it really helped my fueling issue. First run on the dyno without any changes saw things go from kinda lean up top to quite rich. NicD adjusted the tune and the a/f looks really good now with room to spare. Though I shouldn't need it as my focus need to move to safety equipment, suspension, brakes, yada yada....it never ends. Glad I waited and did the e450 thought instead of adding a BAP to the Z. Thanks to Joe for stellar service and LPM/NicD for the dyno time and tuning.

cheers,

Pete

Just thought I'd update this thread. Had Joe@CPR put in the e450 pump in and it really helped my fueling issue. First run on the dyno without any changes saw things go from kinda lean up top to quite rich. NicD adjusted the tune and the a/f looks really good now with room to spare. Though I shouldn't need it as my focus need to move to safety equipment, suspension, brakes, yada yada....it never ends. Glad I waited and did the e450 thought instead of adding a BAP to the Z. Thanks to Joe for stellar service and LPM/NicD for the dyno time and tuning.

cheers,

Pete

Thank you sir for letting us work on that truly nasty Z. Pretty rare we have a C6Z come in now that really impresses us as most are just standard heads,cam and this one did it!

cheers,

Pete

Interested to see how that all works out. After speaking with a few sources we decided to run the factory pump in Victors car as he wanted to retain the venturi pump.

cheers,

Pete

Interested to see how that all works out. After speaking with a few sources we decided to run the factory pump in Victors car as he wanted to retain the venturi pump.

Don't forget we also put the Racetronix harness on as well, which supposedly is good for 1.2-1.5 volts and an additonal 10+ % fuel :thumbs

I also got the additional narness to interface with a BAP.

My factory C6Z pump which has 3k miles on it if that and has only seen E85 since i put it in just died on me yesterday. Putting the 450 pump in mine, way to many of these c6z pump's are going on e85. they either die quickly or live a long happy life lol.