New Walbro 450 (E85) pump and C6 Z06

phxcobra

Anyone know if the new walbro 450 pump will work with the stock fuel assembly on a c6 z06 (e85 build). My stock pump is running out of steam in the upper rpms and looking for a drop in solution. The 450 is e85 compatible and and I believe should flow more than the stock z06 pump.

The 450 does flow more than a stock pump and should help you achieve your goals. Have you given thought to running a BAP and increasing voltage to your stock pump? It would certainly be much less of a headache.

Nice build you have there. I am at 540 rwhp but wanting more so trying to decide wether to mill the heads and go straight E85 or yank the motor and forge it and add nitrous.

The 450 does flow more than a stock pump and should help you achieve your goals. Have you given thought to running a BAP and increasing voltage to your stock pump? It would certainly be much less of a headache.

NicD seemed to have some reservations with BAP and the big cam I'm running in terms of how to tune the BAP. I'm not a tuning expert so I defer to NicD. I tihnk he was talking about using vacuum to control the BAP and this cam doesnt have much or something along those lines. Maybe he can chime in with a better explanation.

Nice build you have there. I am at 540 rwhp but wanting more so trying to decide wether to mill the heads and go straight E85 or yank the motor and forge it and add nitrous.

If you can put up with finding e85, i think it's the best way to go.

NicD seemed to have some reservations with BAP and the big cam I'm running in terms of how to tune the BAP. I'm not a tuning expert so I defer to NicD. I tihnk he was talking about using vacuum to control the BAP and this cam doesnt have much or something along those lines. Maybe he can chime in with a better explanation.

Gotcha, in N/A applications, usually you forgo the hobbs switch and have them on full time. This makes it a lot easier to initially set up and tune, especially on a returnless car.

Gotcha, in N/A applications, usually you forgo the hobbs switch and have them on full time. This makes it a lot easier to initially set up and tune, especially on a returnless car.

Interesting. It'd certainly be easier than dropping the tank(s) to install a new pump. Any issues with running a BAP full time? I'll inquire further with NicD. What brand BAP for a vette. I know Kenne Bell has one for Fords.

Interesting. It'd certainly be easier than dropping the tank(s) to install a new pump. Any issues with running a BAP full time? I'll inquire further with NicD. What brand BAP for a vette. I know Kenne Bell has one for Fords.

All of my experience is with the KB BAP on Fords (Terminators, mainly).

I know the Ford guys love to run those suckers all the time and just connect the wires together ditching the hobbs switch. I don't know how the factory LS7 pump does with a higher voltage full time though so I didn't want to suggest it. The other thing I've done on some cars is use the MSD BAP that's programmable and set a curve for voltage related to vacuum, only problem is that Pete's car has little vacuum at idle with that monster camshaft and I didn't think it would be too happy bumping the voltage all the time just taking off from a stop. LOL! Maybe the factory pump wouldn't care too much, just haven't done any testing in regards to having the voltage kicked up all the time.

Yep, if Pete were to make the investment in HPT and use a Pro unit, you could use one of the MPVI EIO outputs to trigger a relay to switch the BAP on at MAP over 80 or so. Still a pain for the initial tune, though, since fuel delivery at that point will spike and not be linear.

Yep, if Pete were to make the investment in HPT and use a Pro unit, you could use one of the MPVI EIO outputs to trigger a relay to switch the BAP on at MAP over 80 or so.

Still a pain for the initial tune, though, since fuel delivery at that point will spike and not be linear.

Well that's what I like about the newer MSD BAP, it's programmable to boost voltage in any curve that you want based on a MAP input so nothing else is necessary. You can make it about as linear as possible so it's not an on-off switch like the older MSD BAP or KB BAP. If his cam had more vacuum I would like to do it that way but just wiring a KB BAP so it's always on and just not on kill might be the best option at this point if the Walbro 450 won't fit.

I agree, I don't think it is going to have to be set on 40 or anything for Pete to meet his goals and keep the car safe. The 450s are still pretty new, though. It would be nice to have some solid feedback before making that leap.

Hmmm, I've read some other info that says don't run the BAP fulltime otherwise you'll burn the pump out pretty quick though. I don't want to band-aid it only to have to do a real fix (new pump) down the road. I'd prefer to pony up the $$ to do it right the first time. I guess I'll have to call the local shops to see what they think about putting the 450 pump in and how much it'll run. I know the the pumps are the cheap part (~200 from what i see) and the labor is the biggie. Still I'd rather pay more the first time and be done. Does the differential/trans have to be dropped to drop the tanks? Pete

It's easier if the rear cradle is dropped. Also, not sure the 450 has provisions for the siphon jet pump, so you may want to research how folks are handling that.

• 2 weeks later...

How tough is the install for a KB BAP? If it's not cranked way up, do you guys think the pump will last? Nic, I don't think I need that much more fuel do you. Thinking maybe the BAP is the thing to try first. Also, which BAP 20 amp or 40?

I don't think it needs that much more fuel so the KB BAP wired on full time should work, nothing says it needs to be set on kill either. I would try it and set it to like 20% which is only a few volts bump. I would think the pump should live a long life with just a few more volts going to it but I don't have any data on that particular pump in relation to voltage.

• 3 weeks later...

If you decide to go the fuel pump route i personally have dropped the tanks w/ the entire rear still in the car on manual transmission cars w/ no issues. I've got it down to a pretty fast science now haha. But I think you would be just fine w/ a BAP and set it low since you don't need much more fuel to achieve what you are wanting to do.

• 1 month later...

If you decide to go the fuel pump route i personally have dropped the tanks w/ the entire rear still in the car on manual transmission cars w/ no issues. I've got it down to a pretty fast science now haha. But I think you would be just fine w/ a BAP and set it low since you don't need much more fuel to achieve what you are wanting to do.

Hi Joe,

Sent you an pm.

Thx,

Pete

• 3 months later...
joe@cpr.com

fyi we just did one of those pumps in mike steig's car and it was a very easy install (as far as canister fitment lol) you just slightly modify the canister to allow the sock to be on the outside of it. other than that she goes right in!

It's good to know that the strainer will sit outside of the bucket. That alleviates any concern over the bucket filling siphon being necessary, hopefully.

I hope I never have to do another corvette fuel pump. They suck.

Pay Joe or LPM or someone to do it. Even with a lift I can't stand doing fuel pumps. For the last 1000 miles I've been driving on 1 tank since the siphon isn't working. Just took it apart and hopefully it is fixed now.

I'm next for one of these. Too bad they don't make an external 450 also. Dual 450's would make me more than set for fuel. So I will have one 450 and an external 255.