C7 powered by LT1 direct injected V8...

Big Poppa

here are my thoughts

-Where is the Power steering pump? are we going to have electric power steering? They have it on the BMW ant he TOp Gear peeps hate it!

-I think the Intake manifold people are out of business (aka F.A.S.T). Gm seems to have this unit dialed in with Billion$s of R&D, id be surprised of an aftermarket company could compete.

- So with Direct Injection, what does that do for the supercharger/Forced Induction peeps? GM will HAVE to come out with a Forced Induction unit of the 6.2. I bet the current pump is already capable of producing the increased pressure needs of a Forced Induction. But what if you needed MORE? do you have to replace the Cam [because this pump is cam driven]

-piston oil squirters? on a base LT1 engine? ohh la la fancy.

- the exhaust appears to be a "shorty" headers already from the factory. ..nice

My responses in order:

Tom and I have argued over this, I believe he is right, and it will have a conventional hydraulic arrangement

Show some jacked up dyno figures and folks will flock to an aftermarket intake, but FAST probably has the corner covered with their composite intakes.

FI and DI get along just fine, with a fuel pressure at 150 BAR, the one BAR from a factory forced induction system is not going to adversely affect the system.

Oil squirters are a windage nightmare, mt bet is they are there to genericize the block for the coming supercharged LT4

Very nice exhaust, but not as nice (or expensive) as stock Z06 manifolds

According to one writer, they want to keep the power up when on 4 cyl for better fuel economy, so the driver didn't feel the need to put his foot in deeper and force it back to running on 8. They apparently couldn't get enough low end torque with the 5.5 motor.

I suspect there will be a higher power quicker reving version in the same manner as the L99 relates to the LS3. Apparently it's not that big a deal to switch production from one method to the other.

That makes very good sense. I guess for those vette guys who aren't waxers, LOL. It will be interesting to see if they indeed come out with a non-AFM version.

What deeply intrigues me is how the powertrain team debunked and in fact poo-pooed the idea of a twin turbo six. I worked directly with a GM team that stated we would see a turbo six in the Y car, though possibly not the first year. Maybe we will see one, or maybe there was just too much pressure from marketing.

On a different note, I need to talk to you about a roll bar.

dont forget the c6 had the LS2 (bastard child in my opnion) for 2 years.

I consider the LS2 a "go between" from the LS1/LS6 years and the LS3/LS7 years

LS2 was 3 years. '05, '06, and '07.

According to one writer, they want to keep the power up when on 4 cyl for better fuel economy, so the driver didn't feel the need to put his foot in deeper and force it back to running on 8. They apparently couldn't get enough low end torque with the 5.5 motor.

I suspect there will be a higher power quicker reving version in the same manner as the L99 relates to the LS3. Apparently it's not that big a deal to switch production from one method to the other.

That makes very good sense. I guess for those vette guys who aren't waxers, LOL. It will be interesting to see if they indeed come out with a non-AFM version.

What deeply intrigues me is how the powertrain team debunked and in fact poo-pooed the idea of a twin turbo six. I worked directly with a GM team that stated we would see a turbo six in the Y car, though possibly not the first year. Maybe we will see one, or maybe there was just too much pressure from marketing.

On a different note, I need to talk to you about a roll bar.

Sorry, no rollbars. Not enough people to put down deposits. It's the old story that money talks and BS walks. I needed 10 orders to cover first batch costs, just to break even. I already put up $900 to advertise for 3 months, so I had no intentions of spending another $10K to build and hope for the best.

It seems that a lot of guys are willing to spend big bucks to make the car faster, but would rather get booted after 1 or 2 runs, than spend anything to comply with the safety rules. Actually, there are some who only run at a track rental where the cost is around $150-200 each for the day, just to avoid buying a rollbar.

Looks to be the most expensive water pump ever. It's all the way off the side of the engine...

But you get a free alternator bracket in the deal. :smilelol

what caught my attention is the amount of head work ..... swapping intake and exhaust .... and as mentioned earlier, valve alignment .... I like how the plug is set in but thought a bit more directional with the injector would have been better .............. but what do I know .... I have problems finding the keys ... (oh yeah ... you don't need one) .... :partydance:

One side benefit to the valve layout, is the intake manifold is a little closer to the front of the block, which allows the engine to be set farther back. (better weight distribution) Notice where the front engine mount is compared to the LS motors.

Sorry, no rollbars. Not enough people to put down deposits. It's the old story that money talks and BS walks. I needed 10 orders to cover first batch costs, just to break even. I already put up $900 to advertise for 3 months, so I had no intentions of spending another $10K to build and hope for the best.

It seems that a lot of guys are willing to spend big bucks to make the car faster, but would rather get booted after 1 or 2 runs, than spend anything to comply with the safety rules. Actually, there are some who only run at a track rental where the cost is around $150-200 each for the day, just to avoid buying a rollbar.

Well, that sucks. Not that I will break any rules the first few trips out. I am completely unaccustomed to racing a street car, but with any luck I will need one in the near future. I'd rather spend my money here than elsewhere, but I understand. Guess I was just a tad late to the ball on this whole deal, but without 9 friends, I may have been out of luck altogether, anyway.

Nice new motor. I am wondering what the crate 'not street legal' versions are going to be like :) ..and then .. wonder what Nelson Racing Engines will do with 'em. As for bettering the stock parts .. aftermarket usually manages to better the hp-torque because they throw away a lot of the compromises the 'factory' has to deal with. I expect FAST intakes and LFG headers an such will do just fine :) Banzaii Baby :) -Frank aka GE

here are my thoughts

-Where is the Power steering pump? are we going to have electric power steering? They have it on the BMW ant he TOp Gear peeps hate it!

-I think the Intake manifold people are out of business (aka F.A.S.T). Gm seems to have this unit dialed in with Billion$s of R&D, id be surprised of an aftermarket company could compete.

- So with Direct Injection, what does that do for the supercharger/Forced Induction peeps? GM will HAVE to come out with a Forced Induction unit of the 6.2. I bet the current pump is already capable of producing the increased pressure needs of a Forced Induction. But what if you needed MORE? do you have to replace the Cam [because this pump is cam driven]

-piston oil squirters? on a base LT1 engine? ohh la la fancy.

- the exhaust appears to be a "shorty" headers already from the factory. ..nice

My responses in order:

Tom and I have argued over this, I believe he is right, and it will have a conventional hydraulic arrangement

Show some jacked up dyno figures and folks will flock to an aftermarket intake, but FAST probably has the corner covered with their composite intakes.

FI and DI get along just fine, with a fuel pressure at 150 BAR, the one BAR from a factory forced induction system is not going to adversely affect the system.

Oil squirters are a windage nightmare, mt bet is they are there to genericize the block for the coming supercharged LT4

Very nice exhaust, but not as nice (or expensive) as stock Z06 manifolds

thanks for the responce,

-ok so the system will have a conventional power sterring (in theory).

is ti me or all the accessories only on one side of the block? what are they making room for?

.. turbo inner cooler? (similar to the water to air units BMW is using)

- good point skew the dyno and people will buy FAST all day long.

- I am ignorant with the dynamics of DI. so if im reading you right, I can add another 14lb of boost (1 BAR yes?) and it wont make a dent in the 150 BAR capable fuel pump?

sweet...

-I completely agree that they are making the block 'generic' for the Forced Induction LT4 in regards to the oil squirters.

thanks for the responce,

is ti me or all the accessories only on one side of the block? what are they making room for?

- I am ignorant with the dynamics of DI. so if im reading you right, I can add another 14lb of boost (1 BAR yes?) and it wont make a dent in the 150 BAR capable fuel pump?

sweet...

-I completely agree that they are making the block 'generic' for the Forced Induction LT4 in regards to the oil squirters.

I have no idea what they are making room for, maybe the dry sump tank, but it appears, and I completely agree with you, they are definitely making room for something.

Yep, it's the new sneakers syndrome; new sneakers make you run faster, right?

DI and boost get along famously, ask Audi

The LT4 better be an earth shaker, but I guess we will see. I really don't want to hear about how it makes less power, but thanks to excellent drag coefficients and weight of the car, it will be just as fast as what came before. Give us something we can go head to head against the top of the line Mustang with at a stoplight, at least.

'Give us something we can go head to head against the top of the line Mustang with at a stoplight, at least' Screw head to head .. I prefer embarrassing the *crap* out of 'em :) -just sayin -Frank

thanks for the responce,

sweet...

I have no idea what they are making room for, maybe the dry sump tank, but it appears, and I completely agree with you, they are definitely making room for something.

They didn't put all those holes in the end of the head for nothing, but I won't say for sure that where the PS pump will mount, because without a pulley on the engine for a belt it makes one wonder. The opening in the lower block that has holes around it kinda smells funny too, like a dry sump odor. :lol

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I youtubed the c7 and i think it was car/driver or track, anyway they talked to the design engineers about the car, its going to have eps but instead of designed like bmw they modeled it more to the porsche. i like the aluminum frame and i think i did see a dry sump tank in the backround like the one on the current z06.