C7 powered by LT1 direct injected V8...

Big Poppa

Seen a lot of info on FB this morning...

Posted Image

The C7 Corvette's LT1 V8 - Estimated 450 HP, 450 lb-ft Torque. 0-60 under 4 secs, 26+ MPG

Posted Image

Posted Image

Intake and exhaust valves have been swapped from the Gen4 design to allow for maximum power and a central plug design.

Posted Image

Direct injection system hidden under the intake manifold. Injector flow rate is 22.0cc/s@10MPa, up to 2,175psi (15MPa). 65-volt fuel injector controller. Highest flowing pump on the market and it is driven off of the camshaft with a unique lifter system.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=486369201393845

Testing rig for the new engine to test the oil pickup.

Posted Image

AFM (Active Fuel Management) lifter...

CVVT camshaft...

Fuel injection cam follower...

Posted Image

6.2-liter LT1 Small Block. Yes, LT1

You can also see that the valves are canted slightly to allow them to move towards the bore center when open, and that piston is designed to generate some serious swirl. You can also see the injector tip in the combustion chamber.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So they decided to keep the 6.2 liter displacement....interesting.

Very, my bet is the thing doesn't make as much power per cubic inch as they thought. I am also concerned because AFM engines controlled by the lifter are not known for fast revving visa-vis the current L99.

Looks to be the most expensive water pump ever. It's all the way off the side of the engine...

Very, my bet is the thing doesn't make as much power per cubic inch as they thought. I am also concerned because AFM engines controlled by the lifter are not known for fast revving visa-vis the current L99.

Excellent points !!!! I wondered if it was their inside "focus group" that felt public reaction (presuure) with going to a smaller engine....your idea makes more sense.

Looks to be the most expensive water pump ever. It's all the way off the side of the engine...

Yeah, and the inlet and outlet hoses are very close in proximity. LOL at the plastic water neck.

Posted Image

The new E92 PCM is supposed to be incredibly difficult to recalibrate using aftermarket software.

So with this obstacle and the VVT crap won't this motor be difficult or even cost-prohibitive to mod?

With the introduction of the direct injection feature, did GM also bump the compression up on the moter ? I would dig some direct injection, 13:1 compression LS7 motor :partygrnhat:

The new E92 PCM is supposed to be incredibly difficult to recalibrate using aftermarket software.

So with this obstacle and the VVT crap won't this motor be difficult or even cost-prohibitive to mod?

Yeah, must likely bumps in power from hard parts (no surprise there), but finding a lot in a tune will not be there, I do not believe.

With the introduction of the direct injection feature, did GM also bump the compression up on the moter ?

I would dig some direct injection, 13:1 compression LS7 motor :partygrnhat:

This one is at 11.5:1 :facepalm:

why hate on vvt ? all it does it make the motor more efficient (read torque) at all rpms.

Guest badbobs95

You can also see that the valves are canted slightly to allow them to move towards the bore center when open, and that piston is designed to generate some serious swirl. You can also see the injector tip in the combustion chamber.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You took the words right out of my mouth! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image That's exactly what I was thinking. Posted Image

According to one writer, they want to keep the power up when on 4 cyl for better fuel economy, so the driver didn't feel the need to put his foot in deeper and force it back to running on 8. They apparently couldn't get enough low end torque with the 5.5 motor.

I suspect there will be a higher power quicker reving version in the same manner as the L99 relates to the LS3. Apparently it's not that big a deal to switch production from one method to the other.

According to one writer, they want to keep the power up when on 4 cyl for better fuel economy, so the driver didn't feel the need to put his foot in deeper and force it back to running on 8. They apparently couldn't get enough low end torque with the 5.5 motor.

I suspect there will be a higher power quicker reving version in the same manner as the L99 relates to the LS3. Apparently it's not that big a deal to switch production from one method to the other.

That makes very good sense. I guess for those vette guys who aren't waxers, LOL. It will be interesting to see if they indeed come out with a non-AFM version.

What deeply intrigues me is how the powertrain team debunked and in fact poo-pooed the idea of a twin turbo six. I worked directly with a GM team that stated we would see a turbo six in the Y car, though possibly not the first year. Maybe we will see one, or maybe there was just too much pressure from marketing.

On a different note, I need to talk to you about a roll bar.

That makes very good sense. I guess for those vette guys who aren't waxers, LOL. It will be interesting to see if they indeed come out with a non-AFM version.

What deeply intrigues me is how the powertrain team debunked and in fact poo-pooed the idea of a twin turbo six. I worked directly with a GM team that stated we would see a turbo six in the Y car, though possibly not the first year. Maybe we will see one, or maybe there was just too much pressure from marketing.

On a different note, I need to talk to you about a roll bar.

dont forget the c6 had the LS2 (bastard child in my opnion) for 2 years.

I consider the LS2 a "go between" from the LS1/LS6 years and the LS3/LS7 years

what caught my attention is the amount of head work ..... swapping intake and exhaust .... and as mentioned earlier, valve alignment .... I like how the plug is set in but thought a bit more directional with the injector would have been better .............. but what do I know .... I have problems finding the keys ... (oh yeah ... you don't need one) .... :partydance:

here are my thoughts

-Where is the Power steering pump? are we going to have electric power steering? They have it on the BMW ant he TOp Gear peeps hate it!

-I think the Intake manifold people are out of business (aka F.A.S.T). Gm seems to have this unit dialed in with Billion$s of R&D, id be surprised of an aftermarket company could compete.

- So with Direct Injection, what does that do for the supercharger/Forced Induction peeps? GM will HAVE to come out with a Forced Induction unit of the 6.2. I bet the current pump is already capable of producing the increased pressure needs of a Forced Induction. But what if you needed MORE? do you have to replace the Cam [because this pump is cam driven]

-piston oil squirters? on a base LT1 engine? ohh la la fancy.

- the exhaust appears to be a "shorty" headers already from the factory. ..nice