1 Post Wonders

Bigfoot

Ladies and Gentlemen: Please stop with negative comments about people signing up and posting for sale. The rules do allow this, provided that the person is not a re-seller (dealer) of some sort. If we want to do away with these kind of posts, then as a forum we need to change the rules. However the rules were recently changed by majority decision by the Admin/Mod team. If you have a problem with this, please PM one of us and we will look at a change...again...if the majority of ACE decides to vote that way. It was changed to allow people to come on and sell Corvettes/related items...possibly availing the crew as a whole of possible good deals. In the mean time, please refrain from making any comments/posts in a for sale thread that detract from the sellers ad or are off topic of the ad. Thank you

for what its worth, I think your rule change was a good idea. A month or so ago a lady posted a triple black C5 convertible with about 24,000 miles on it for sale here. It was her only post. I knew a member of Fast Glass that was looking for a 2nd vette exactly like that one. I passed contact info back and forth between the parties and by the Prescott show the deal was done. The Fast Glass member brought both his vettes to the show and couldn't be happier with his purchase. That would never have happened if the seller were prevented from posting.

I don't agree with allowing 1 post wonders, but it's not my forum so it's not exactly my place. Whatever works for this forum works for me. :ACE:

I don't agree with allowing 1 post wonders, but it's not my forum so it's not exactly my place. Whatever works for this forum works for me. :ACE:

This is OUR forum and by being a member you are part of it and you have a say.

The reason we changed it was to be able to give ourselves the opportunity to get some good deals from people that may just need/want to get out of a car or parts.

But still, no dealers.

We could open the for sale section up for non-members to start new threads, it would eliminate thier need to register but the mods will need to constantly watch it for spam. I would rather see 1 post wonders than deal with a scum that would over run an open forum though...

Why not start a 'basement' section for this and allow people to opt in?

So what's the difference between signing up as a member and opting in?

Anyone can already be a guest to read everything.

As a member, who would bother to go to this 'basement' section to read what a guest wrote?

Personally, about 99% of the stuff I read is in 8 sections. I'd guess most members limit themselves to just a very few areas too.

No, what I'm saying is if someone wants to sign up just to post something for sale, then let them post it in a section that requires a password which we could publish in a sticky. Those posts would then not even be displayed unless a member enters to password for that section - effectively filtering them out of their view.

Some forums have it set up to not allow posting in certain sections unless that person has a certain number of posts. I don't know how the software here works or if that's a possibility. I feel like forums like this are a community. And a benefit of being a member of this community is to buy and sell things, possibly at a greater deal for all. I'd rather see my stuff go to you guys for a good deal than some craligslist idiot for even a little more money. I feel like when there are 1 post wonders they are taking advantage of the community that we have and that we are apart of and that we have built. Just seems to me like 99% of them don't have an interest in being a member of the community, but rather selling something and never returning. Again, just my opinions..

The main reason we changed the rule in the first place is people would sign up make 25 stupid posts and then advertise their car for sale. Or, they would post their for sale ad in the wrong section altogether to avoid the restriction. So we changed the rules to avoid having to deal with those issues. People just need to not interfere with any for sale ads regardless of the poster. If you don't like an item for sale, don't buy it. Like another person already said, we have had people successfully sell their cars with only 1 post.

How do we tell if a new member is a 1 post wonder to stick them in the special section before they post in the regular 4 sale section?

Putting a new member there would be a little demeaning, your asking them to prove they want to be a member after they just registered...

I feel like when there are 1 post wonders they are taking advantage of the community that we have and that we are apart of and that we have built.

What if the next 1 post wonder lists a silver ZR1 with 100 miles on it for $1000 and you get it?

We have also had a 1 post wonder sell thier vette only to come back 6 months later with a new one and became part of the community for awhile, can't remember the name though.

Is this really a big problem? How many "one post wonders" have we had since the rules were changed ?

I think theres been 3 or 4 since the rule was dropped.

The main reason we changed the rule in the first place is people would sign up make 25 stupid posts and then advertise their car for sale. Or, they would post their for sale ad in the wrong section altogether to avoid the restriction. So we changed the rules to avoid having to deal with those issues. People just need to not interfere with any for sale ads regardless of the poster. If you don't like an item for sale, don't buy it. Like another person already said, we have had people successfully sell their cars with only 1 post.

Ted is correct, Mark's rule caused some spamming, it was fun to watch for post #26 in the for sale ad and then they were gone. But we still had to deal with the first 25 post they made as spam.

Let them join, post thier ad and leave, we get rid of deadbeat accounts every month so it doesn't hurt us any.

I missed the newest problem, but I can guess how it went, I sure hope the members put thier best in thier replies, that 1 post wonder may come back next week as a great member and then the read what was posted.....

If you don't like a for sale ad, don't post in it. And if you think it's bad enough to not be on ACE then don't post in it, send an admin or mod a PM....

How do we tell if a new member is a 1 post wonder to stick them in the special section before they post in the regular 4 sale section?

Sorry, I didn't explain that well.

1. Create a new section "One and done for sale stuff" and password protect it like the basement.

2. Provide that password publicly ( sticky ) so everyone knows what it is and can subscribe to it ( including our 1 posters ).

3. If a member does not want to see the "One and done for sale stuff" posts, simply do nothing and they will not appear for them. Otherwise, they provide password and they will begin getting those posts in the "New Posts" feed.

Would that work? It sounds more complicated than I think it would be in practice.

Dave, some of us can't even remember the password for the basement :smilelol I hope I'm not coming off the wrong way about how I feel about 1 posters. It's not gonna hurt my feelings to see them. I probably wouldn't buy anything from them since A: I dont need anything right now and B: I like buying from sources I know but people enjoy the option so be it. If it works for this forum it works for me, just stating my opinions on the matter.

Dave, some of us can't even remember the password for the basement :smilelol

I hope I'm not coming off the wrong way about how I feel about 1 posters. It's not gonna hurt my feelings to see them. I probably wouldn't buy anything from them since A: I dont need anything right now and B: I like buying from sources I know but people enjoy the option so be it. If it works for this forum it works for me, just stating my opinions on the matter.

you did not come off wrong at all. Z06 MIR/Miranda

as an admin I mirror your feelings on this matter quite closely, and have expressed it to the other admins.

but a compelling argument has been made that the "1 and done's" are so far and few that no change needs to be made.

Putting a new member there would be a little demeaning, your asking them to prove they want to be a member after they just registered...

I feel like when there are 1 post wonders they are taking advantage of the community that we have and that we are apart of and that we have built.

What if the next 1 post wonder lists a silver ZR1 with 100 miles on it for $1000 and you get it?

We have also had a 1 post wonder sell thier vette only to come back 6 months later with a new one and became part of the community for awhile, can't remember the name though.

Is this really a big problem? How many "one post wonders" have we had since the rules were changed ?

I think theres been 3 or 4 since the rule was dropped.

Ted is correct, Mark's rule caused some spamming, it was fun to watch for post #26 in the for sale ad and then they were gone. But we still had to deal with the first 25 post they made as spam.

Let them join, post thier ad and leave, we get rid of deadbeat accounts every month so it doesn't hurt us any.

I missed the newest problem, but I can guess how it went, I sure hope the members put thier best in thier replies, that 1 post wonder may come back next week as a great member and then the read what was posted.....

If you don't like a for sale ad, don't post in it. And if you think it's bad enough to not be on ACE then don't post in it, send an admin or mod a PM....

Ya gotta love it....LOL. 3 or 4 one post wonders since the rule change but 22 posts in this thread to comment on it..

Just looking for a way to make everyone :banannarainbow:

Throwing an LPM BBQ would do the trick!