Championship-winning Owens Corning C3 for sale!

MOTV8

The World’s Most Successful Racing Corvette is for Sale – 2012 Monterey Auctions

July 17, 2012 by Nick Kurczewski, Road & Track

Posted Image

With an unbroken history of ownership, and a raft of victories on its resume, this 1968 Chevrolet L-88 Corvette is both an awesome machine, and a unique piece of American racing history. A recent “re-restoration” has probably brought the car to an even higher standard of finish than when it was new. Fitted with an original L-88 engine putting out an estimated 685-bhp at 6,600 rpm, power is then fed to the rear wheels via a Muncie M-22 “Rockcrusher” transmission. This is not a car for the faint of heart.

Posted Image

RM Auctions will put this very car on the auction block next month in Monterey, where it’s expected to command a price in excess of $1-million. For that significant outlay, someone will be getting a car that RM Auctions hails as the most successful racing Corvette of all time. That kind of statement will definitely get the auction paddles waving when this red-and-white Vette rolls onstage. Finished in its 1971 24 Hours of Daytona Owens Corning Fiberglass livery, you can’t help but love the “Coke bottle” shape, large hood bulge, and pair of vicious-looking side exhaust pipes. This Corvette is pure adrenaline on wheels.

Posted Image

It was also wildly successful when raced by Tony DeLorenzo and Jerry Thompson, who competed on the SCCA Divisional and National circuit, along with U.S.-based FIA distance races, such as Sebring and Daytona. This car’s racing resume includes 1969 and 1972 SCCA National “A” Production Championships, second in the GT category at the 1969 12 Hours of Sebring, and 1969 and 1970 GT class wins in the 24 Hours of Daytona. Racing in an era that included legendary cars like the Porsche 917, Ford GT40 and Ferrari 512; this L-88 waved the Corvette flag high and proud. From 1969-71 this car, along with its fellow team Corvette, managed to win 22 of 22 SCCA/FIA National Events.

Posted Image

We hope to see (and hear!) this vintage Vette tearing down a racetrack sometime soon.

Here's your free wallpaper shot...

Posted Image

what are theses metal things (three of them) on the drives door?

Those were for /// ask Dean it was 1968.

From the front view is appears they are on the passenger side as well. 60's era camera mounts??? I haz no clue

what are theses metal things (three of them) on the drives door?

Those were for /// ask Dean it was 1968.

My theory would be that they are lights to shine on the number 12 so the car would be easily identifiable on track at night during the endurance races at Sebring and Daytona. They remind me of the lights you used to see over motorcycle plates back in the day.

• 4 months later...

Amazing car - anyone know the details of the sale? Did it happen? What did it end up selling for? Very cool photos! Adam

Amazing car - anyone know the details of the sale? Did it happen? What did it end up selling for?

Very cool photos!

Adam

I read it did NOT sell at a bid of $730,000. :bang

After much inebriation, I located my secret stash of up-close-and-personal pictures of iconic Corvette race cars. Car pron, whatevah.

Anywho, these are obviously from before the "re-restoration" run at the auction block, but it would appear the light binacle theory was...spot on?

Enjoy the eye-candy, it's free. :lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://images26.fotki.com/v937/photos/5/53649/5206807/MyPictures0331-vi.jpg

http://images51.fotki.com/v303/photos/5/53649/5206807/MyPictures0332-vi.jpg

After much inebriation, I located my secret stash of up-close-and-personal pictures of iconic Corvette race cars. Car pron, whatevah.

Anywho, these are obviously from before the "re-restoration" run at the auction block, but it would appear the light binacle theory was...spot on?

Enjoy the eye-candy, it's free. :lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://images26.fotki.com/v937/photos/5/53649/5206807/MyPictures0331-vi.jpg

http://images51.fotki.com/v303/photos/5/53649/5206807/MyPictures0332-vi.jpg

Dang it! I knew I should have bid - could have gotten it on the cheap. :lol

Dang it! I knew I should have bid - could have gotten it on the cheap. :lol

You'll get another chance...the car has been consigned to auction at Barrett-Jackson. As lot #5041, it will be sold primetime Saturday, Jan. 19th.

If you do buy it, I heard Ted has offered to crazy shine it for free. :lol

After you purchase and Ted crazy shines It , I'll show you how to drive it at the the next Indie track day :banannarainbow:

• 1 month later...