Wanna see what life without health insurance looks like?

Big Poppa

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shifty

• Big Poppa

• Eddie44

• wickedfastvette

I assume it's the hospital? I wonder which one? I went to Oro Valley and it was double that.

Glad i have insurance even though i pay $175 a month for the family! It seems cheap! My girls mom works for Mayo hospital so its also 0 deductible! You guys need any help let me know Kathy used to run the billing department at John C Lincoln and as the transplant coordinator for mayo she knows of alot of programs to assist!

Glad i have insurance even though i pay $175 a month for the family! It seems cheap! My girls mom works for Mayo hospital so its also 0 deductible! You guys need any help let me know Kathy used to run the billing department at John C Lincoln and as the transplant coordinator for mayo she knows of alot of programs to assist!

That seems cheap because it is. While my line of work doesn't lend itself to great healthcare benefits, my last employer-offered family plan was a $5,000 deductible Standard PPO for $995 per month.

I think it's great they give you a break for cash but that just means the hospital is making it up on the patients with insurance. The insurance company passes it on to their customers and my rates go up. Why should I get penalized for your bill? The American public is blind to crap like this!

Where you are being penalized Eddie, is teh non-insurance customers that don't pay. I intend to, as long as they can deal with my payment schedule, which should be fairly aggressive-I don't want this damn bill either! Since I'm a single-income household with a 15 year mortgage (went that way because teh males in my family don't live very long, and I wanted to make sure my wife has a place to live), I really couldn't afford insurance without skipping other trivial bills, like electricity or water....

I'm not blaming you, it is the system and Americans are ignorant to the finances of this. When you pay a cut rate for "cash" then the insurance companies pick up the slack. If the hospitals gave insurance companies the same rate as "cash" customers then our insurance rates could go down and maybe you could afford it without selling your Vette! We'd all benefit. It's the same argument for bankruptcy. You declare bankruptcy and your creditors write off your debit. Do you think that is the end of it? No, they pass that on to paying customers in the form of higher interest rates, etc. They have to keep their stockholders happy and they can't do that writing off bad debts. You are aware I hope that if your job or your wife's offers insurance and you opt out you will soon face a penalty under our new government program (name omitted to avoid politics).

I thought it was teh other way around? When using insurance, teh prices are jacked way up to compensate for delayed payment, etc....when I go to my heart doc, he actually dropped my bill when they found I was going to pay in cash-I didn't ask him to do so....

I thought it was teh other way around? When using insurance, teh prices are jacked way up to compensate for delayed payment, etc....when I go to my heart doc, he actually dropped my bill when they found I was going to pay in cash-I didn't ask him to do so....

When you pay in cash they keep 100% of it which is more than if your insurance pays because they dictate the % the office or hospital keeps. In order to keep the same amount of income, they have to bill several times the real cost.

Drew is correct, your doctor will keep 100% of your cash payment and doesn't have the expense of processing the claim and fighting with the insurance company. If they insurance co got the same rate then their costs would be less and they could charge less.

I really hate to say this and flame me if you want. But having health insurance is alot more important than owning your corvettes. If you can afford to pay insurance on your vette and possibly be even paying on them monthly with a payment then you guys have your priorities wrong. Not trying to bash either but really rethink whats important in life and a Corvette is not your health is.

I would tend to agree with Mike on this one. I've been fortunate to be covered my entire life, but I could not imagine the bills we would have if not. On top of that, my mom would probably be gone right now. She had successful liver transplant surgery back in October and is doing well. Her insurance has covered almost the entire bill. She's had to pay very little if any at all...and the bills have been in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I really hate to say this and flame me if you want. But having health insurance is alot more important than owning your corvettes. If you can afford to pay insurance on your vette and possibly be even paying on them monthly with a payment then you guys have your priorities wrong.

Not trying to bash either but really rethink whats important in life and a Corvette is not your health is.

Meh, no payment, and limited mileage insurance, it costs even less than my beater, but for full coverage. I wouldn't even have a C5 if I hadn't done a ton of internet selling of teh C4 corpse and other things. But, ya, I was just about to enroll in january...

Insurance is just abet against your health, life or you having an accident and you lost the bet in this case. The price now will be a large hospital payment and an insurance premium. Bet you wish you'd have enrolled last year.

Its interesting that no one comments to much on the charges medical facilities charge ...... as Chris pointed out earlier in this thread about his charges for just two nights ..... doesn't that seem a bit ridiculous ????? Not a good topic for me as I've never quite got how any of this works ..... and of course the fact that having paid the amount of money over many many years (all kinds of insurance) and have never had a claim ........ though I have to agree with Mike on this issue as I hate seeing our brothers taking such a financial hit, I can also see why so many people "opt out" .... I guess the thought of legalized protection just doesn't sit right so how ........... Posted Image

Insurance is just abet against your health, life or you having an accident and you lost the bet in this case. The price now will be a large hospital payment and an insurance premium. Bet you wish you'd have enrolled last year.

I couldn't have afforded it last year, but ya....

Geez.....nothing like kicking a guy when he's already down. Hindsight is always 20/20; I say lesson learned, let this go and stick to input that can help a brother out

Geez.....nothing like kicking a guy when he's already down. Hindsight is always 20/20; I say lesson learned, let this go and stick to input that can help a brother out

Sorry it wasn't touchy freely enough for you! Next time I see him i'll give him a hug. There are times to say it as it is and skip the sugar!

Thanks Eddie, I already know how it is, and wish I could have a much higher paying job, but that's life-teh world needs a few non-ballers too.

Thanks Eddie, I already know how it is, and wish I could have a much higher paying job, but that's life-teh world needs a few non-ballers too.

I sincerely apologize if I offended you as much as I obviously offend others. At times this place just gets a little sweet for my taste and I have to say it as I see it. I think you know you screwed up and would probably do it much differently if given the chance. I'm out!

I feel for you too, at 29 with the highest cost full coverage insurance I am kicking myself for doing it... I did it mainly for my son then had to go to court after open enrollment was closed and the Ex wanted him on her new husbands plan. I hated the idea but after looking it over I will be switching next year to the same style for the time being. I never got to the Dr but its true it only takes one visit. However at this point I am losing over 200 a month in insurance costs just for myself to have the best insurance rate and its because of the Cash vs Insurance be date. For someone like myself who hardly ever goes to pay 200+ a month just to cover themselves at 29 is ridiculous. I will be taking more of a gamble with the other plan but at least I can still have coverage and not take such a heavy hit just to cover myself. Although I am sure once 36 or so hits I will be switching back to a higher cost plan.