Newbe Questions

Guest Nick 02 Z06

Guest Nick 02 Z06

Just a couple of questions: Is there a dyno (prefer Dyno Jet) near yuma (Other than Extreme or AS&M?) Someplace that could handle a Dyno day type event? Is anybody other than me interested in getting some dyno tuning done?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Nick

As best as I can remember, there aren't any dyno's in Yuma, We talked about setting up an ACE dyno day while everyone was together at the BBQ on Saturday.

Looks like our options are either Extreme, or getting with Todd at ProDyno.

Stay tuned, we will post about a dyno day as soon as we get one setup....

BTW, welcome to the ACE forum :howdy:

I am definitely interested in getting mine dyno tuned. I've been checking prices with shops in the Phx area and trying to get recommendations. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I want it done right.

Well, if we do a "dyno day" there won't be any tuning getting done. Dyno days usually end up with the cars strapped in for 1 or 2 runs and then they pull that one off and put the next one on.

If you want tuning, the best place in town is in Chandler. They are called ADS, Automotive Diagnostic Specialties. http://www.adsaz.biz/ . You will get recommendations for at least a few A.C.E. members about ADS.

We are working on a Dyno day, hopefully this spring.

Guest Nick 02 Z06

Thanks for the quick responses! :cheers:

Maybe I should have said tuning day rather than a dyno day. I'm not really interested in putting my car on the dyno without making some changes based on the results.

I'm interested in finding a dyno that isn't associated with a major seller/tuner. One that will allow someone else to come in and do some tuning and not jack the price of dyno time up because the one doing the tuning isn't their tuner.

I think that the prices in some of the big name shops in AZ have gotten really silly when selling anything that has the Corvette name attached to it. (Corvette Tax) No offense to any shops that view this site. The only reason I am able to have a Corvette is because as a Marine I haven't had much opportunity to spend money in the last 5 or so years.

I know a reputable tuner that will fly in from the East Coast to do some tuning provided there are 12 or more cars and the price will be more reasonable than what other shops in AZ are charging. The other beniefit is that updates to the tuning are provided for free afterward. The only money you will spend afterward is for dyno time/shipping. He is also able to do LT1 tuning.

I guess I am just trying to figure out if it is even possible to set something up like this without driving 150 plus miles and spending $500 plus dollars for tuning. Based on what I'm reading so far, it may not be an option.

Thanks again for the responses. :)

Well, I don't know of any shops that will let you bring in your own tuner.

I recommended ADS before, and still stand by them.

I took them a 1980 Corvette with an aftermarket injection system that they did not install. I gave them the car for a week and what they gave back to me has been the best running sports / muscle car I have ever driven.

The set up the entire fuel map, the entire ignition map, found and fixed other problems and made the car run better than it ever had before. I had some problems when I left with a lean spot that was not apparant on the dyno runs and their tuner hopped in the car with me and we drove around for about another hour with him tuning the car while I drove. We found fuel system problems, engine problems, exhaust problems, cooling issues and addressed them all. I paid about $1K for my dyno / tuning time and I feel that every penny was well spent. I don't have ANY spare cash in my life, but the money I paid to them was well worth it.

My car can now idle perfectly, run 1/4 miles, road course race and will drive all day long without skipping a beat. I can go from the 1100 foot elevation and 115 degree temps to the 8000 foot elevation of Flagstaff and it has the same reliability and smoothness.

Another member's car they found problems that another well known tuner in town missed and got him some serious HP gains and made his engine more reliable and less likely to have a major failure later on.

I don't remember their exact rate, but I would say that you should give them a call and explain what you want done and they can give you a quote.

Guest Nick 02 Z06

:howdy: Thanks!

I hope to attend some events here in the near future and meet some of you guys.

I am happy to say that my newbie question no longer applies. I recieved my tuning software and cables yesterday! So I will be flashing my own PCM.

On that note, if any of you local guys ever need to have your car scanned or log some data from your PCM, I have Auto Tap and EFI Live versions 5 thru 7.