Its that time again...

Bigfoot

...for my USBC Nationals bowling tournament. This year is in Baton Rouge, LA. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I've been practicing the last two weeks on the oil pattern that is being laid down out there...or at least a close facsimile they've been putting down at the Luke bowling center. During the first 36 games I threw...I was horrible (maybe averaging 150). It's a VERY demanding pattern and has been driving me nuts. I went in for my last practice session today. For 6 of the games I was trying to throw for score I managed a 203 average. I managed to find a little something that I hope translates to success in LA. So the game plan is there, its just a matter of executing and hoping for the best now. I wonder if Timmy can get me some VIP treatment on SWA when I fly out on Sunday. :lol Wish me luck...I REALLY need it this time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigfoot

• F22trainer

• Desertdawg

• P51tj

I wonder if Timmy can get me some VIP treatment on SWA when I fly out on Sunday. :lol

Give me your flight # and I'll see that you get moved to 1st Class.... Good luck throwing you balls down in Baton Rouge!

Extender32

Good Luck in LA Sean. I am a little concerned with someone who admits to playing with his balls.

Good Luck in LA Sean. I am a little concerned with someone who admits to playing with his balls.

Try it...you might like it. :lol

PM inbound Tim. :thumbs

Knock em down Sean, good luck and kick some ass !

Desertdawg

VIP treatment on SWA

good luck with that ......

And good luck at the tourny.

Best of luck to ya for the tournament. You certainly have the balls to win. :thumbs While you're in Baton Rouge, run over to the State Capitol building and take a pic of the "new" plaque that's on the podium by Gov. Claiborne's statue in the rotunda. They took down the Wikipedia page 2 days after I spotted it last year. :smilelol

Extender32

Try it...you might like it. :lol

Isn't that what girlfriends are for so I don't have to?

PM inbound Tim. :thumbs

F22trainer

makes me wish I were going. Don't let the spares get away - they can save your bacon! ;o) GOOD LUCK!

makes me wish I were going.

Don't let the spares get away - they can save your bacon! ;o)

GOOD LUCK!

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!

With the difficulty of the oil pattern, spares are at a premium to save your scores.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone...time to go back...plane leaves in less than 24 hours.

And thanks Tim for the 1st class upgrade. :yesnod

:lol

Awww come on man, you can't leave us hanging like that. Spill teh beans.......

Dawg, Worst bowling experience of my life. Not LA or their hospitality. I was pleasantly surprised by the state and its people for the most part. For the USBC Nationals tournament, they always put out a difficult pattern. But this years was WAY beyond that. I've averaged in 220's around the valley the last 2 years in 6 different bowling alleys. I've played multiple different angles and consider myself a pretty damn good bowler. This year alone I threw 4 games of 300 and 1 set of 825 (which included a 300, 226 and 299). I practiced 45 games on the oil pattern here at home before leaving. For the first 36 I could do NOTHING!!! The last 9 I thought I had found something...but that must have been a fluke. I threw an hour practice in LA at the center on the same pattern and seemed ok, but not really (and it played just like here). I get into my 3 sets for the actual tournament and only averaged 170. I felt like I had no shot anywhere on the lane. Hell my highest set was thrown with a plastic ball...which I generally only throw at spares since it goes straight down the lane with no hook. In total, I spent well over $1,000 in airfare, rental car, tournament entry, practice (not counting my time), etc. to have a bad time. No thank you. They invite 60,000 amateur bowlers to come out to this tournament and in essence say, "we want you to give us your money, but we're not going to allow you to throw good scores." They forget the audience they are inviting out and say "screw you." Yes there are people that can and did score on the pattern...but what must be understood here is that no matter what pattern you put out, someone will score. Overall, scores are WAY down across the board this year and its just not fun when you put so much effort into the game, but the only time you see conditions this difficult is at a tournament like this and are expected to be ok with it. So I quit. I will not bowl this tournament any more. I even contemplated quitting the game (albeit that is unlikely). I may one day attend this venue again, but not if they are putting ridiculous patterns like this out. I was up there with a group of 60 bowlers and there are at least 5 high average guys that I was talking to that won't be going next year for sure. Sorry for the long winded response...but you asked.

Sorry to hear it sucked, maybe it's time for a new hobby. I hear batmitton has some pretty lax rules!

Sorry to hear it sucked, maybe it's time for a new hobby. I hear batmitton has some pretty lax rules!

Never heard of "batmitton" before. :lol

And yes, the change of hobby did cross my mind. :facepalm: