Mod advice

dude1812

I have a 2008 C6 A6. Mainly use it as a street car but also would like to use it on the track. I have a few mods in mind and am looking for the best value to hp gains. I plan to do them in this order and would like input on if you think I should do something else, or different order etc. All input positive or negative is appreciated. I am on a budget so a supercharger etc. is out of the question right now, maybe down the road sometime. 1. Swap chrome gumby 18/19 staggered and run flats for TSW Nurburgring 18x10.5 Nitto 555 275/35 all around. From the reading I've done having a square set up will improve handling and allow me to rotate tires. Going from the gumby tires to TSW's I should lose about 7 lbs per wheel. Was hard to get weights on the gumby wheels I think they're about 25 and TSW are 21 plus about 5 lbs per tire getting rid of the run flats. Since I'm not sure of the exact weight I went with a conservative 7 lbs difference. $2000 - $1300 (sell gumby and tires not sure if this is accurate just going by what some are selling for on ebay) $700 2. Airaid intake and 160 thermostat $300 3. Diablosport Trinity handheld tune. From what I have read a canned tune can help a A6 for about 15-25rwhp and this will also allow me to re-tune if I get any more mods as well as leave it open for a custom email tune if I want at some point. I can also log data for better custom tunes down the road. I don't have time to learn hp tunes so I figure this is a ok compromise. $600 From mods 2 and 3 I expect about 25-35 rwhp total and from 1 better traction, handling and rotational weight reduction (not sure how much added speed this corresponds to). About $1600 total for the mods

Loud Pedal

Intake, exhaust, and a tune is always a good starting point. These cars respond well to improved airflow. I would definately stay away from the diablo tuner though and have it tuned by an expert on a dyno. The risk/reward just isn't there and you could be leaving ponies on the table.

Just some additional input. I put a shirt shifter on and hands down would do it 1000x other again. Night and day. Plus this is great since your on the track.

Just some additional input. I put a shirt shifter on and hands down would do it 1000x other again. Night and day. Plus this is great since your on the track.

I think I already have the shortest short shifter possible, mine's an automatic lol. I assume yours is a manual or am I missing something

Intake, exhaust, and a tune is always a good starting point. These cars respond well to improved airflow. I would definately stay away from the diablo tuner though and have it tuned by an expert on a dyno. The risk/reward just isn't there and you could be leaving ponies on the table.

How much is a dyno? I it the same price if I want to do it again later down the road if I get new headers or something. And how much to return it to stock? You can pm if you want

And what rwhp gains can I expect? I understand this is approximate.

I think I already have the shortest short shifter possible, mine's an automatic lol. I assume yours is a manual or am I missing something

Yes I have a Manuel

Intake, exhaust, even headers if possible. Tune will wake it up huge. NicD is the best tuner in AZ and one of the best period. Much better than a crappy hand held. Also I would get a trans cooler to help that auto live longer around the track. Ignore the t-stat though, those are a proven myth. I don't road race so the wheel/tire selection is your choice. I will however recommend not buying wheels until you consider a wide booty. It's not much in parts as they're factory pieces and let you put more meat on the car. There's my .02 to start.

Desertdawg

My suggestions start with some old autoX advice.

Learn to drive what you have before you go for more horsepower.

Start with suspension and tires.

Loud Pedal has some really cool coilovers (link ----->Click Here!!!)

436hp should get you around the track pretty good until you get a solid feel for the car, then you can start adding hp.

Here's a link to mine with less than $1000 in mods and tune = 460hp

http://www.arizonacorvetteenthusiasts.net/arizonavette/forums/index.php?showtopic=17622&st=0&p=245140&hl=dyno&fromsearch=1&#entry245140

Shortest economical route to LS3 power is a Vararam CAI, Z06 exhaust manifolds/downpipes/H or X pipe reduced to 2.5" in the last foot, something other than stock mufflers (Z06 mufflers give you options), and a tune. About $1200 in parts plus labor. Buy cheap wheels and really good tires for track only duty. How cool or ugly it looks doesn't affect lap times. Keep the street wheels/tires for the street. Good track tires will not survive street use very long. If your budget doesn't allow for all the above, just get the track wheels/tires and forget the rest for now. Brakes will be important at some point. Usually you'll know that when they fade and you miss the turn.

I recommend the Pfadt Johnny O'Connell shocks and sways. Totally transformed my base C6 and is still comfortable enough to daily drive. I sold my stock wheels for 18/19 TSW wheels. I want another set now. The NT05's lasted 6000 miles with one track event and the rest street driving. I'm going to get a dedicated track set of wheels and tires. The only power mod I have is a cold air intake. Since you have an auto, you will benefit from a trans tune. I hate the stock GM shift programming. You may as well tune the engine at the same time. Nic has tuned so many LS cars that it won't take him much dyno and street time to sort your car out.

Start with suspension and tires.

Loud Pedal has some really cool coilovers (link ----->Click Here!!!)

436hp should get you around the track pretty good until you get a solid feel for the car, then you can start adding hp.

Here's a link to mine with less than $1000 in mods and tune = 460hp

http://www.arizonacorvetteenthusiasts.net/arizonavette/forums/index.php?showtopic=17622&st=0&p=245140&hl=dyno&fromsearch=1&#entry245140

:shifter:

HP and mods is sexy, fun and a great way to personalize your car to be yours, but for teh most part, teh car is already faster than you are, unless you've mastered a bunch of HPD schools. Just sayin'. :howdy

Probably the best advice. I'm sure my car is much faster than my driving skill

As already stated no Diablo go see NicD, not to mention last time I checked Nic was around 400 for a Dyno Tune but it may have changed some (I actually think it was less but I would hate to have remembered wrong)

As already stated no Diablo go see NicD, not to mention last time I checked Nic was around 400 for a Dyno Tune but it may have changed some (I actually think it was less but I would hate to have remembered wrong)

I am going to see NicD after all the recommendations. I think it will definitely be worth it.

I am going to see NicD after all the recommendations. I think it will definitely be worth it.

Give me a call at the shop and I can get you set up with him.

Hey Steve, is that Dyno Day for AZFBA still happening? I wanted to come up and Dyno the Vette and I have some free time this weekend... lol.

Blackwing intake, Delete cats and weld in new pipe (pro muffler will do for 50 bucks a cat) SLP catback system, Cam kit, and a Nicd tune... +60-80 rwhp (depending on which cam). Around 3000 all said and done.

Give me a call at the shop and I can get you set up with him.

Nic wont tune unless there are at least SOME kind of mods... he will tell you to go free up your exhaust and open up your intake system AT THE VERY LEAST. Tune gains aint worth the money without at least a few mods under the hood

Just an update for anyone that's interested. After a lot of looking at people's opinions (and there are A LOT on the different boards) and doing some research. I ended up going with kooks 1 7/8 coated headers, 3x3 x pipe, hall tech super bee and tune from NicD. Thanks for all the advice.

Unless you plan to go force induction, 1 7/8" headers are not worth the extra money. :2cents

Just an update for anyone that's interested. After a lot of looking at people's opinions (and there are A LOT on the different boards) and doing some research. I ended up going with kooks 1 7/8 coated headers, 3x3 x pipe, hall tech super bee and tune from NicD. Thanks for all the advice.

Sounds like a pretty good start IF you plan to go FI down the road. :thumbs

Great minds think alike. :lol

Unless you plan to go force induction, 1 7/8" headers are not worth the extra money. :2cents

They were $20 more so I figured it would be worth it.

Great minds think alike. :lol

And your's was a few seconds quicker.