DCA Cole Memorial "Sweetheart" Show thank you

Guest NOS_Z06

Guest NOS_Z06

My family and I want to thank the Desert Corvette Association and Mrs. Cole for awarding our ?NOS Z06? Corvette the Cole memorial best of show Corvette trophy. The 12th annual Sweetheart's car show was a great success despite the weather. I was impressed with how well it was organized and run.

Over the past 25 years I?ve restored and/or built over a dozen muscle cars. I also have quite a few car show and drag racing trophies. But the Cole Memorial trophy will be front and center. I?m honored to have built a Corvette deemed worthy of the memory of a fellow Corvette fan.

DCA_2005_3rdPlace_tn.jpg

DCA_2005_Cole_memorial_tn.jpg

What is the significance of the Cole memorial trophy?

Er, umm...best of show Corvette out of 9 different Corvette classes?

Guest NOS_Z06

Here's a quick review of how the judging took place. Popular voting was used for the individual classes while the final 6 special trophies were judged. I thought it was the reverse. Since I showed up kind of late - just 20 minutes before they closed registration at 10:00 - many of the early bird club members had already cast their votes. One of the cars that beat me in my class didn't have the hood open or windows rolled down. The only "mod" seemed to be a custom hood. So it was kind of a popularity contest. But they went at least 3 places deep in every class - 6 places deep in the stock C5 class - so nearly half of the cars got something.

Here's my two cents on doing car shows. Call ahead and find out all the particulars of the show. If it's popular vote get there as early as possible and get that number tag on your car quickly. Try to find a shallow class you might qualify for. [The Modified B (late model) class actually had quite a few cars (they were spread out). But there was a Custom B class with only one car. The car had some ground skirting, but I'm sure I've got more invested in my billet chrome. I noticed some guys switched classes but I stayed put.]

Clean your engine bay and open the hood. Also open the trunk or at least detail the visible area and keep it void of personal items. Or, stay by the car when its judged to show them the engine or answer questions (this is what helped me at the DCA show). Also scrub the underside, wheel backing, wheel wells, etc. Finally, don't ditch any portion of the awards ceremony. You might be pleasantly surprised. I was tempted to leave early because I figured there was only one trophy per class and I didn?t really know how the special awards were determined. I?m sure glad I stayed.