WickiDadio Loop Sunday May 6th

oldmxdog61u

oldmxdog61u

Here it is.

Meet at oasis bagels for breakfast/snacks coffee etc and a 8am departure time. plenty of parking, and a starbucks next door for the hopelessly addicted, and a gas station on the corner of the lot.

Oasis Bagels

17650 West Elliot Road, Goodyear, AZ 85338

Depart 8am for a backroads trip to wickenburg via the infamous vulture mine road. No freeway from estrella. It will be all backroads. (approx time to wickenberg 1.75 hours).

Gas up in wickenberg at the vulturemine rd/74 gas station, drain the lizard. Kick tires.

Approx 10am depart for bagdad via kirkland junction and yarnell hill.

depart bagdad for wickenberg We are NOT stopping at Bagdad.

Arrive Wickenberg for lunch approx 1pm unless we stop and kick tires.

Wickenberg, lunch around 1- ish at

Anita's Cocina

57 North Valentine Street, Wickenburg, AZ 85390

I am open to a good parking location with good food. if the group is large we may switch venues, but for mex feed this place is tops.

Return to valley on 74 after lunch. east siders may split at cavecreek, west siders at the 303.

let me know if you are interested.

Here is who I think said they were going for a drive with us:

2)dave64

3)Chameleon

4)PhilV

5)AndyKalz

6)StevieG

7)Pittmd1

8)XOXXOX

9)DavidpbjZ

10) Shockwave

11) HarleyPat

12) CU4L8R

13) Jeffsvette

14)

anybody else?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldmxdog61u

• coconut girl

• Chameleon

• StevieG

Here it is.

Meet at oasis bagels for breakfast/snacks coffee etc and a 8am departure time. plenty of parking, and a starbucks next door for the hopelessly addicted, and a gas station on the corner of the lot.

Oasis Bagels

17650 West Elliot Road, Goodyear, AZ 85338

Depart 8am for a backroads trip to wickenburg via the infamous vulture mine road. No freeway from estrella. It will be all backroads. (approx time to wickenberg 1.75 hours).

Gas up in wickenberg at the vulturemine rd/74 gas station, drain the lizard. Kick tires.

Approx 10am depart for bagdad. (approx 1 hour)

depart bagdad for kirkland junction (approx 45 minutes hr)

depart kirkland for wickenberg (approx 45 minutes hr)

Arrive Wickenberg for lunch approx 1pm unless we stop and kick tires.

Wickenberg, lunch around 1- ish at

Anita's Cocina

57 North Valentine Street, Wickenburg, AZ 85390

I am open to a good parking location with good food. if the group is large we may switch venues, but for mex feed this place is tops.

Return to valley on 74 after lunch. east siders may split at cavecreek, west siders at the 303.

let me know if you are interested.

So far I have dave64 going.

Sat the 5th might work a little better than Sun the 6th.

Bruce, great job stepping up as a newbie! :ACE:

I'm 50/50 for this right now. Won't know for sure until the date gets closer. . .

Sat the 5th might work a little better than Sun the 6th.

Not necessarily so. . . the 5th is Cinco de Mayo, lots of things going on around town that day.

Also, the occasional Sunday event allows peeps who have to work Saturdays an opportunity to get in on an event.

oldmxdog61u

some humor. I picked sunday the 6th as: 1) sunday traffic is much lighter where i plan to go 2) saturday the warden has plans for me. My pass is only good for sunday. 3) Saturday is cinco de mayo. on the west side this translates into drinkin de my-doh! 4) After 47 years of racing motorcycles on sundays, its the only day that comes to mind when i think of these things. 5) 47 years of motorcycle racing has my wife used to me bugging out sunday for most the day. (See #2) 6) My C-6 is part of my 12 step program for quitting motorcycle racing while I can still walk (kinda sorta). 7) to better understand my motivation, Watch the movie "on any sunday". enuf said. Hope this helps. I understand if it doesnt work for many people. As much as I would like to show folks some back roads they may or may not have seen, I want to enjoy myself too and sunday is MY day. Plus I really enjoy showing people some really off the path roads. Sure, most of you may have been to Bagdad, but have you ever parked on an overpass on I-10 for a group shot without traffic for miles? It can be done. bruce

Hi Bruce. Count me in for the run. I'll be coming from Chandler. If any one else on the east side wants to meet up and caravan over to the west side let me know.

oldmxdog61u

Great andy! Should be fun miles. Hope a few more turn up. I plan on getting to oasis bagles for a breakfast and cofee around 7am and see who else shows. Thanks. Bruce

oldmxdog61u

Only if I ride my 1960 Royal enfield bullet 500 with 4 speeds and twenty neutrals and a trail of oil. Nah! Bruce

O my. 'On Any Sunday' .. I took my wife to see it when it came out. I laughed to tears. I started ridin motocross (right here at Cycle Park down in the riverbed) about a year before. I had done *every* crash in that movie at least once .. and more than a few that weren't shown :) Every time a friend thought it would be cool to join me they would break a major bone (or bones) and be laid up for months .. LOL. ..got to the point I didn't tell anyone what I was doin on weekends anymore. Then I joined the USAF .. when I came back from Basic I took my bike out and I had literally lost my grip .. ..I could not go fast and hang on at all the way I useda.. I could not clamp down on the handlebars hard enough to keep under control at 70mph+ across the open desert and my stamina was definitely lessened. Ended up sellin my 250CZ for what I had in it .. decided to stick with drag racin ..then later learned to fly (solo'd when I was 43) Flying brought all the same feelings back ..man-machine interface, thinking ahead, pure FUN with no speed limits (mostly ) -GE aka Frank

oldmxdog61u

Hope ya show up to swap old mx stories. How about the great track across from Legend City? We used to go to jacksons for the pop machine. Coronado grad myself. I raced a cz400 in vintage AHRMA for a number of years until I started having back problems. Switched to a long travel bike and continued another 8 years on a....drum roll please....... Maico 490. Hope you can do the run with us. I finally gave up mx last year. Traded all my bikes in and bought the C6.

Guest racingchester

Wow....1960 Enfield 500...had a 1959 Enfield TT500 amoungst other 500s...1954 AJS....Don't remember the year Yamaha about 79 I think..

Wow....1960 Enfield 500...had a 1959 Enfield TT500 amoungst other 500s...1954 AJS....Don't remember the year Yamaha about 79 I think..

Chuck! You should come on this cruise! :3gears:

oldmxdog61u

This is a driving get together. More than 100 miles. Probably around 200 range. It was always been fun for me, so I thought I would share. The portion near bagdad is almost as twisty a road as old 666 is, and is very absorbing to drive. Yes mex food will be great. Yes kickin tires and hob nobbin will be fun. But this is a drive, not a show run. Hope this helps and hope you can go. I love backroads, hate freeways.

We made it to AZ and are kind of moved in to our new house in Anthem. Looks like I will have my new GS coupe sometime next week (23-27). We were trying to decide on what to do for our first trip and this loos like fun. Count us in. If we can't keep up due to breaking in the car we catch up when you stop.

oldmxdog61u

I will provide map and stop pts, plus I want to keep us together. Its more fu.n that way. I hope to have radios so I can have a sweep car in the back so we don't lose anyone. With the map and planned stop and catch up the group pts we should all be together thru out. Should be fun.

oldmxdog61u

I did some google map mileage checks and it looks like a little over 200 miles. A drive in the country as I said. I love driving my car so this will be time well spent. Almost 100 miles of turns in/out of bagdad. Up the hill to yarnell used to be more fun until they began timing traps. In any event, a nice Sunday driving experience. Wanna check? Estrella to 355th/I10 first stop. Second stop wickenberg. Third stop bagdad via yarnell. Fourth stop wickenberg via 74 for lunch. Return after lunch. Enjoy!

oldmxdog61u

A spotter at the bottom records the vehicle and time and at the top of the hill they look at your elapsed time to determine if you have exceeded the speed limit. Probably because too many crotch rockets were blowing up the hill with avg speeds over 80mph (corners and all). Ahem. Not that I know personally of anyone speeding up the hill, but this is what I saw the last time I was there. I of course split the uphill with a stop and pause that refrfeshes which also gives me a respectqable elapsed time. Thankfully I always observe the posted speed limit.

Joyce and I are in. If we have a little trouble making the 8 AM departure, we'll shoot over to Henry's on the 60 and meet up there. If you can lock up a solid time and location for the lunch, maybe some others who don't care to make the longer trip can make a short cruise just to Wickenburg and join the rest of us for lunch.