63 split window 5-speed swap

Bromley's Corvettes

Bromley's Corvettes

Out with the old 4-speed in with the new 5-speed. Huge up grade for the car low first gear and a over drive makes it super fun to drive. Also real easy to shift and it looks stock from the top so clean install. Next the car is getting power disc brakes so it will stop when you want it too not when it feels like it lol.

WOW ..... is that a numbers matching car ??? .... certainly a nice to have ... but at what cost .???

Bromley's Corvettes

Not numbers matching or he would not have done the swap. Its kinda a bolt in swap so it could be put back to stock if it would have a big impact on the value of the car. He never plans to sell it and if he did the 4-speed and all the stock parts will go with the car. Its a real nice up grade but not cheap. After all the parts and labor it takes about 5k. His 4-speed needed some work and a clutch job. The fork was installed wrong on the throw out bearing so they adjusted the crap out of the linkage to try and make it work. The car never shifted right and its probably what messed it up. He looked at what it would cost to have 4-speed rebuilt and clutch job and how much more to up grade and he wants to drive the car a lot so it was worth it to him. The disc brake up grade will be a stock vette parts so it will look like it came that way from factory. Same with the power steering system I used all stock vette parts.

awesome ...... love seeing those kinds of upgrades to those early years when you can get away with it ...... good catch on the fork and throw out .... not many who would have caught that ..... good job man !!! Posted Image

Bromley's Corvettes

Now we need pics of the Vette with your models. :edward:

[/quote We have a shoot planned when the brake up grade is done Posted Image

Bromley's Corvettes

awesome ...... love seeing those kinds of upgrades to those early years when you can get away with it ...... good catch on the fork and throw out .... not many who would have caught that ..... good job man !!! Posted Image

I sent the customer some pix to see if he would notice what was wrong lol. He was like something does not look right lol. He said the clutch never felt right and they had a hell of a time to get it adjusted.

Bromley's Corvettes

that cool thanks for taking the time to post pictures.

Thanks I enjoyed the project and love taking pix as I go. More pix coming when I do the brake up grade and when its finished and all detailed. Melissa loves the car she cant wait to model with it. Shes going to be Corvette girl and point out the new up grades Posted Image

hummina hummina hummina.....I just drooled all over my keyboard. That is a sweet car for sure :3gears: Am sure there are plenty of us here that would offer to break in the new clutch for him if he doesn't have the time :devil

Bromley's Corvettes

hummina hummina hummina.....I just drooled all over my keyboard. That is a sweet car for sure :3gears:

Am sure there are plenty of us here that would offer to break in the new clutch for him if he doesn't have the time :devil

I already broke in the clutch lol.

Bromley's Corvettes

Doug, what trans did you put in it? The Tremec?

Dave

Yes a Tremec TK500. I bought the kit from All Mustang in phx they are the largest Tremec dealer in AZ. They had the tranny and most of the parts in stock.

Cool. I'm starting to get mine broken-in, so it's starting to shift a bit smoother. You might check with Keisler to see if you have the new-improved speedo cable. I have the old one that leaks. I contacted them about it and they told me they have a new cable (they sent me one) that has solved the leaking problem. Give me a call (623.326.0251) about another issue with the kit. Dave

Bromley's Corvettes

Keisler is a joke I wont do any biz with them anymore. They take forever to send out a tranny kit and I did a hyd clutch install on a 79 vette with a TK500 and the first one did not work at all they sent me another one and could not tell me how to make it work. The tech department was a joke giving me wrong info and making me engineer there expensive product. It sucked bad for me I had a ton of time into the install and they never comped me in any way. Sorry for the vent lol. I did my own cross member mod so the 4-speed could be removed easy and the 5-speed could be installed without a fight. Its a race car style that bolts in so its super easy to pull tranny when needed. Also no risk of messing up the clutch or presser plate or bearing on install because you can just slide the tranny right in Posted Image I have also noticed that when you put some miles on a Tremec they get better. They are kinda stiff at first and you have to be shore you get it all the way in reverse but they get better pretty fast.

I'm guessing any of the 6 speed options would have required a hydraulic clutch retrofit ?

I'm guessing any of the 6 speed options would have required a hydraulic clutch retrofit ?

The LT1 style T56 uses a mechanical fork, but the clutch options are limited. Also had to use a really heavy extremely thick pressure plate. LS style T56 does use a hydraulic system. The 5speeds have a better contour for the older transmission tunnels. Usually with a 6speed a new trans tunnel has to be made.

Bromley's Corvettes

The 5-speed bailey fits its taller then a 4-speed so the top of the case hits the tunnel. I am shore a 6-speed could be done but the tunnel would need to be modded. The 5-speed is such a huge up grade you really don't need a 6-speed.

Bromley's Corvettes

I want one in my '65

[/qu

I would like to install one in your vette. Posted Image You will love it and wish you had done it sooner lol. I bet Tony would let you take his 63 for a drive around the block. You will leave a deposit as soon as you get back lol.

In order to put the 6-speed to use, you'd have to be doing some serious speed. The TKO 600 in my '64 really lugs the engine at anything below 55mph in 5th gear. Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Bromley's Corvettes

More pix now all the car needs is more power lol. 435 h.p or more would be sweet with the 5-speed Posted Image

• 1 month later...

Doug, maybe I'm slower than everyone else, but I can't find pics of the '63 trans install...