The ever unpopular "I need to lose weight" thread

FNBADAZ06

Have you considered hiking? You'll get cardio from the varying inclines and not shock your knees and ankles nearly as much. Speaking from experience a few years back I wish I hadn't jogged, fast-walked, or run. My knees and ankles hurt so bad now its ridiculous.

Because I'm walking/jogging at 4:00 a.m. or 7:00 p.m. , hiking is not very pratical as it's dark out. While I have hiked the trails at Thunderbird Park and Deems Hill (?) (new trails on the north side of Stetson Hills community), the uneven surfaces that you hike over and climb put even more stress on my ankles, hence I usually have to use my hybrid mid-top hikers. The other thing is conviencence....I don't have to do anything other than walk out my front door to begin my run/walks with my current circuit. THe more inconviencence you add to the task, thru time wasted or logisitics, the more appt you are to fall off your plan. Plus, I like having my current route all to myself at those times, instead of dealing with the throngs of "hikers" you have to navigate thru :banghead

If I find that my weight loss doesn't offset the stresses on my knees and ankles and I start experiencing comfort issues, I'll return to my walks and use low impact training such as elipticals, bicycles, etc.

After 10+ years playing football in my early years in the running back position, short track sprints and hurdles in my track days, I've been blessed with zero ankle or knee issues (other than an occassional high ankle sprain), but I am cognicent of the fact that I just turned 49. :thumbs

Walking.... or working? :lol

i trying to use the eliptical when i can...

You've got to get it into your routine....period.

Even if it's a little bit....15 minutes or less, you'll win both physically, and probably just as important, physcologically.

The head games that we use to excuse why we can't do something is probably more difficult to overcome initially, than the actual work itself. :yesnod

I have always felt I get a better workout on the eliptical, higher heart rate and I can do it in the nud... umm barefoot! :lol

You need to invest in a really good pair of shoes. And from the sounds of it you need to work on some ankle conditioning exercises. If you don't use your ankles regularly (strenuously) they will be very weak and you will "roll" them very easily. You really need to build all the muscles in your legs in order for them to support the stress that they are being subject to. Conditioning is so so so important, not just cardo.

• Upvote 1

I have always felt I get a better workout on the eliptical, higher heart rate and I can do it in the nud... umm barefoot! :lol

Good deal........stay with it !!!!!!!! :partydance:

You need to invest in a really good pair of shoes. And from the sounds of it you need to work on some ankle conditioning exercises. If you don't use your ankles regularly (strenuously) they will be very weak and you will "roll" them very easily. You really need to build all the muscles in your legs in order for them to support the stress that they are being subject to. Conditioning is so so so important, not just cardo.

That was my point, Mir. I don't know if you've ever tried to walk as fast as you can for one hour straight, but the amount of push off and strain you do to keep your velocity up is pretty demanding (I was over 4 MPH in a walk). The conditioning of my legs and lower extremities is a DIRECT result of my walking routine I 've had in place for the last couple of weeks....meaning, my strength and conditioning has gone up a lot since I began the routine. But, mechanically, there is a significant difference between a walk (one foot is ALWAYS in contact with the ground, and your heel is the first part of your foot to strike/make contact with the ground), and a jog/run where you're not only are airborne completely during your stride, you are jumping to begin the motion and landing/using the balls of your feet (unless you're flat footed, which is REALLY bad) with much greater force. Your technique in performing either task can have a more significant impact on getting shin splits or rolling an ankle than the actual equipment or conditioning.

For me, my conditioning (so far) has paid off to were I can now jog comfortably at a 50% (10 minute mile pace) for 1.2 miles ......even with my extra body weight I'm currently carrying.

That was my point, Mir. I don't know if you've ever tried to walk as fast as you can for one hour straight, but the amount of push off and strain you do to keep your velocity up is pretty demanding (I was over 4 MPH in a walk). The conditioning of my legs and lower extremities is a DIRECT result of my walking routine I 've had in place for the last couple of weeks....meaning, my strength and conditioning has gone up a lot since I began the routine. But, mechanically, there is a significant difference between a walk (one foot is ALWAYS in contact with the ground, and your heel is the first part of your foot to strike/make contact with the ground), and a jog/run where you're not only are airborne completely during your stride, you are jumping to begin the motion and landing/using the balls of your feet (unless you're flat footed, which is REALLY bad) with much greater force. Your technique in performing either task can have a more significant impact on getting shin splits or rolling an ankle than the actual equipment or conditioning.

For me, my conditioning (so far) has paid off to were I can now jog comfortably at a 50% (10 minute mile pace) for 1.2 miles ......even with my extra body weight I'm currently carrying.

I typically can't walk that far. I get hip and knee pain really easily, especially knee pain. I had knee surgery 4-5 years ago and despite the "100% recovery" that I was told I had achieved, it's never been quite right. I do a lot of eliptical work because it's significantly easier on my knee. My point was for hiking that you should work on some resistente training with your ankles so that you can build the muscles that you don't necessarily build while just walking/running. Your feet stay pretty naturally straight when you're walking/running, but when you're hiking your faced with more adverse terrain and your ankels may not be sturdy enough not to roll over on very uneven ground when you've only trained them for walking/running.

I typically can't walk that far. I get hip and knee pain really easily, especially knee pain. I had knee surgery 4-5 years ago and despite the "100% recovery" that I was told I had achieved, it's never been quite right. I do a lot of eliptical work because it's significantly easier on my knee. My point was for hiking that you should work on some resistente training with your ankles so that you can build the muscles that you don't necessarily build while just walking/running. Your feet stay pretty naturally straight when you're walking/running, but when you're hiking your faced with more adverse terrain and your ankels may not be sturdy enough not to roll over on very uneven ground when you've only trained them for walking/running.

I believe my ankles are sufficently strong, but whenever I go "hiking", a wear at minimum a mid top "hiking" style crosstrainer shoe to support the ankles (others may wear a dedicated hiking "boot"). Most of the rolled ankle injuries I've seen are a result of poor footings giving way while you are pushing off or landing your feet....especially when you're on a descent, where gravity helps accelerate your pace and requires a more controlled action.

Bummer about your hips and knees.....I've been blessed that my joints have never had any issues...really suprising given the sports I participated in back in the earlier days.

It was suggested to me by an old physician friend from college that my playing tennis back in those days may have had a positive influence in conditioning and adding strength to my joints, do to all the abrubt stop, starts, and accelerations required to go after tennis balls flying at you at 100+ MPH :)

I dont like doing cardio. I do maybe 2 sessions of LISS a week for 20-30mins.

Not suprising at all. Many of my body builder friends didn't mess with cardio either.

Not suprising at all. Many of my body builder friends didn't mess with cardio either.

Its just so boring to me. I do it mainly for recovery and it helps with calorie partitioning as well as keeping fatloss pathways active. Besides, Id rather just eat like 300 cals less lol. I follow an IF approach so even on 2000 cals Im not as hungry as I used to be when eating more frequently.

Its just so boring to me. I do it mainly for recovery and it helps with calorie partitioning as well as keeping fatloss pathways active. Besides, Id rather just eat like 300 cals less lol. I follow an IF approach so even on 2000 cals Im not as hungry as I used to be when eating more frequently.

I'm guessing my BB friends, which were in the 270 lbs range (6'0 tall), just were carrying around some much muscle mass for their frames that it might have made it uncomfortable...but I'm not sure. I doubt many of them could run a sub 10 minute mile, if they could even finish a mile run.

I much more enjoy being outdoors doing cardio (at least during the cooler days) versus being in a gym on a piece of cardio equipment. With my music blaring thru the ear buds and enjoying the scenery, I never gotten bored.

Passed my first real test of self control tonight...... Met some friends at Spinato's tonight and ate SALAD for my meal !!!!! Of course, it was an antipasto salad with their house italian dressing, but I had pizza staring me in the face and showed restraint :partydance: Now, off for my walk. edit: make that a 1.2 miles walk and a 1.2 mile jog on the return leg !!!! :partydance: I'm so pleased I can do this....sooner than I had expected :thumbs

We are one month out from the start of this thread......has everyone that started a fitness/weight loss regiment still on it ? For easing into my jogging routine, I'm going to limit the jogging to Monday/Wednesday/Friday mornings and see how my ankles and knees do..and modify the plan from there. I'm going to continue my 4.2 mile walks every evening along with my morning jogging routine so I'll be getting in roughly 6.7 miles in a day for 5 days of the week. :thumbs My primary weight lifting routine will also be on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday evening schedule, though at times I get in a quick 10 minute free weight workout with my curling bar before jumping in the shower and heading to the office. I've settled into eating a 1/2 cup of instant flavored oatmeal every morning for breakfast, along with two servings of whey protien drinks a day. I'm eating apple slices for snacks, and continue to eat salads and chicken breast for my primary meal at dinner, which I try to keep at 4:30-5:00 p.m. Saturday and/or Sunday are my eat anything day(s), but even then I'm still concious of what it is that I'm eating....plus, my appetite has shrunk a bit since starting the health thing. I've stayed pretty consistent with my limit's on beer consumption during happy hour....no more than two. Interestingly enough, the carb boost I get from the beer actually gives me more energy for my walks and weight lifting, which are performed within an hour or so of drinking......pretty funny.

I've faltered some since the BBQ run, but I'm counting again since yesterday.....

I've faltered some since the BBQ run, but I'm counting again since yesterday.....

Hang in there, Dwayne. Whatever your eating and/or fitness routine is, just be as consistent as possible. :thumbs

• 2 weeks later...

Mid month gut check !!!!!! 223 lbs...down 3+ since the beginning of the month, and getting close to officially hitting the 20 lbs loss mark from my peak weight of 242 :thumbs Not to shabby, considering I split a Pappaduex's Seafood Platter with my Dad last Saturday (all fried seafood...with fries), a side of read beans and rice, and a couple bites of sweet potatoe pecan pie !!! :partydance: Then, on Wednesday I hit up the Spinato's for pizza and beer :smilelol I walked/jogged my 2.5 mile route both in the morning and in the evening on Monday and Tuesday....then walked/jogged on Wednesday morning. Wednesday during the day, I could feel the soreness in the knees so I took Thursday off from walking or jogging. This morning's jog was without soreness ( 1.25 miles completed in 12 minutes...knocking off a full 1.5 to 2 minutes off my time !!!! :partydance: )At this point, it looks like my knees like jogs three times a week, and no more. Lifting weights in the morning (5:00 - 5:30 a.m.) has been a challenge, especially after the jogs, as I just don't feel the energy to push much weight around. I do better with it later in the evening after I eat my early dinner, but there are more distractions to contend with. At least I've stayed consistent with lifting three times a week, regardless of the schedule. Eating oatmeal for breakfast with my apples and protien drink is going OK, but I'm getting hungrier an hour earlier than I usually do. I'm guessing this might be due to the carb and sugar spikes I'm getting, along with my raised metabolism from the jogs in the morning. I'm thinking of switching to having egg whites and turkey/veggie omeletes to drop the amount of carbs and raise the protien content, but that's obviously not going to be as convienent as the quick packs of oatmeal. Overall, I think I'm on target to hit my 220 lbs goal by the end of the month, and I'm holding steady at roughly 8 lbs loss per month :thumbs

Very nice Victor. Congrats on keeping up with it so well! I don't know what's up with me lately. I'm not eating great, but not horribly either. Probably somewhere around 1500 calories a day and definitely having my share of booze. I haven't been on a scale but I'm estimating about 5lbs because my pants are loose and so are shirts that used to be very tight. I like it!

Very nice Victor. Congrats on keeping up with it so well!

I don't know what's up with me lately. I'm not eating great, but not horribly either. Probably somewhere around 1500 calories a day and definitely having my share of booze. I haven't been on a scale but I'm estimating about 5lbs because my pants are loose and so are shirts that used to be very tight. I like it!

Good deal, Mir.....any fat loss is a good thing. 5 lbs is the equivalent of 2/3 of a gallon (of water)....imagine that amount of water around your waist and you'll get an idea of what 5 lbs would look like. As long as you're seeing results and have realistic expectations, you're doing great :thumbs

I'm not really keeping an accurate account of the caloric content of what I've been eating, but I'm pretty sure I'm under 1800....concentrating more on eating chicken, salads, fruits (primarily apples)and my veggies (oh, and the protien drink).

I don't have a lot of outside influences that can impact my eating/drinking habits as you might...and certainly no one that can put a crimp on my schedule.

You're 223, I'm 255... Who's chasing who?

You're a bigger dude than me.....and you started at a way more heavier weight than me. You're probably closing in on your target weight you want to be at....I'm still a good 40 off mine, but I will succeed :partydance:

You're 223, I'm 255... Who's chasing who?

You're a bigger dude than me.....and you started at a way more heavier weight than me. You're probably closing in on your target weight you want to be at....I'm still a good 40 off mine, but I will succeed :partydance:

Ya, I feel that I'm getting pretty close. I don't have a weight goal, more of a "what I look like" and fitness goal. I assume I'll end up around 240 when I'm happy, maybe a few lbs more than that depending on how much muscle I put on. I got into 38" jeans, and I'd like to hit 36". There was a day when I wore a 34", but I was like 180 lbs. REALLY skinny. No interest in that at this point. So I assume I need to drop another 20 lbs of fat and put on 10 lbs of muscle. We'll see.