The ever unpopular "I need to lose weight" thread

FNBADAZ06

:smilelol So true. I gonna try in it's natural state first.........but peanut butter ......yummmm. Reese's are my archille's heel :facepalm:

If you're gonna add carbs and fat from the PB, I don't feel so bad about the Syntha-6, LOL

lol this x 100000000

:smilelol So true.

I gonna try in it's natural state first.........but peanut butter ......yummmm.

Reese's are my archille's heel :facepalm:

reeses after dieting for 30 straight weeks Im guessing equivelant to ecstacy. I had a budy that right after he stepped off stage "drank" a whole bag of reeses peices lol.

:funnypost: Maybe Dymatize needs to make ISO-100 in a Reese' PB flavor :thumbs Do you take creatine at all ?

:funnypost:

Maybe Dymatize needs to make ISO-100 in a Reese' PB flavor :thumbs

Do you take creatine at all ?

You would be surprised what flavors some companies have. Some interesting ones off the top of my head are grahm cracker, ice cream sandwich, cinnamon roll, just to name a few.

I do take creatine monohydrate. I wouldnt bother with the companies that sell these blends that have huge claims. Creatine is one of the most studied and proven supplements and has a track record of being safe long term. Ive had people say "I know doctors and they say its bad for your kidneys and will give you cancer." Most doctors are taught general nutrition and not much with dietetics in sports nutrition and such. Thats why most will say more than 1g protein is overkill because they are considering the person is sedentary and not an athlete. Not dogging doctors by any means but a lot of people think if someone has a PHD they know absolutely everything. Creatine is naturally produced by the body and is found in fish and red meats as well. 5g a day is more than enough and loading is not necessary as it takes a couple weeks for complete saturation. Loading is a scam by supplement companies for you to use more of the product and there is no benefit in doing so. Here is a little basic info on it but disregard the loading portion....

http://www.creatine-monohydrate.org/

I buy the primaforce brand which puts out some of the most pure/tested products.

You would be surprised what flavors some companies have. Some interesting ones off the top of my head are grahm cracker, ice cream sandwich, cinnamon roll, just to name a few.

I do take creatine monohydrate. I wouldnt bother with the companies that sell these blends that have huge claims. Creatine is one of the most studied and proven supplements and has a track record of being safe long term. Ive had people say "I know doctors and they say its bad for your kidneys and will give you cancer." Most doctors are taught general nutrition and not much with dietetics in sports nutrition and such. Thats why most will say more than 1g protein is overkill because they are considering the person is sedentary and not an athlete. Not dogging doctors by any means but a lot of people think if someone has a PHD they know absolutely everything. Creatine is naturally produced by the body and is found in fish and red meats as well. 5g a day is more than enough and loading is not necessary as it takes a couple weeks for complete saturation. Loading is a scam by supplement companies for you to use more of the product and there is no benefit in doing so. Here is a little basic info on it but disregard the loading portion....

I buy the primaforce brand which puts out some of the most pure/tested products.

Steve, I take creatine and glutamine. Do you do this as well? The way it was put to me the glutamine helps "push" the creatine into the muscles, especially right after a workout.

Steve, I take creatine and glutamine. Do you do this as well? The way it was put to me the glutamine helps "push" the creatine into the muscles, especially right after a workout.

There are not many studies in regards to glutamine and it seems to be a supplement that is not used by many of the top guys as the benefits are so minescule. Theres no need to help creatine absorb and it doesnt really matter what time of day you take it as it doesnt have a quick impact, going back to the whole taking weeks to saturate. The only time I wouldnt recommend taking it is right before a workout as it can slow gastric emptying which is not something u want at that time.

I started taking Creatine Monohydrate a few weeks back, and I'm quite happy with it. The only "trick" to it that seems to hold across all the research I've done is to drink it with a sugary non-acidic drink to help it be processed, but it's not a requirement. I drink it with Gatorade. It seems to work as described. It puts a bit more gas in your short term gas tank, and seems to increase the "pump". So it doesn't actually help build muscle, it just allows you to get in a few more reps, or a bit more weight, thereby getting you a better workout. If your goal is weight loss, I'm not sure I see the advantage of using it. Maybe on the offshoot that if you have more lean muscle mass you will burn more calories, but I didn't start taking it when I was in weight loss/general conditioning mode. I started when I switched to fat loss/build muscle mode. Maybe it's all in my head, but I get a better pump and just feel a bit stronger after I started taking it. And if you get the monohydrate and not the super dooper advanced rapid absorption stuff, it's pretty cheap too.

The creatine stuff I have is effervescent, supposedly to help in the absortion. If fizzies like Alkaseltzer. Steve.....I was pleasantly suprised by the taste of the ISO-100 whey protien powder :thumbs

A lot of great info in this thread.

Years ago I decided to look into all the weight loss hype and see if I could actually glean some good info about it.

After doin some research (friends, onlne, a bit of reading here an there) and being mostly pessimistic about all the wild stories (ok, outright lies)

..I ran across this site.

It is spot on.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/hackdiet.html

Can google 'hacker's diet' to find it on facebook now and I read there is a book out now also.

One of the things that stuck with me

..if you jog for an hour you burn ~700 calories.

(does anyone actually know anybody that jogs for an hour?)

Average cheeseburger is 700 calories.

Hmm ..

Would rather just not eat the cheeseburger, yanno?

As has been said, it's all about reducing intake below output.

-Just my 2 copper

My daily walks have been very effective for me. 3.5 MPH walk for one hour is the equivalent of running for 30 minutes :thumbs

I had one small serving of potato salad and about 40 samples/tastes of BBQ today, then a few beers and some wild turkey, I hope it doesn't hurt my diet to much!

I had one small serving of potato salad and about 40 samples/tastes of BBQ today, then a few beers and some wild turkey, I hope it doesn't hurt my diet to much!

Perfect !!!!! :partydance:

I had myself one of your yummy bbq sandwiches, a small dab of potatoe salad, a we bit salad, a few chips, and a small bowl of the spicy chili.

But I did hold up on eating the cookies when you overed them :smilelol

Later that night I had two small carnes asada street tacos and a fish taco, washed down by a 6 oz margarita at the 67th/Bell Car show with SLAMMER and HOXXOH...........but, Saturday is my scheduled "treat myself" day so I was ok.

Just got finished my 4.5 mile walk and mild weight workout, with my first protien drink of the morning........I'm ready to go !!!! :rockon2:

Results after first month.... 227 lbs. I know I've put on some lean muscle, especially in my legs as I've been getting stronger with my walks while carrying all this extra weight. I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast now, along with taking two servings of whey protien during the day.....one in the morning and the other after my evening walk/workout. I'm shooting for a 220 lbs weight, with increased lean muscle mass by the end of March :thumbs

Results after first month....

227 lbs.

I know I've put on some lean muscle, especially in my legs as I've been getting stronger with my walks while carrying all this extra weight.

I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast now, along with taking two servings of whey protien during the day.....one in the morning and the other after my evening walk/workout.

I'm shooting for a 220 lbs weight, with increased lean muscle mass by the end of March :thumbs

Holy cow u lost 227lbs!?!?!

:smilelol

But seriously good job Victor. Takes a lot of hard work and the majority or people give up. Just try to make that lifestyle change so that weight stays off. Maybe pick up interpretive dancing lol.

pick up interpretive dancing lol.

ok so with no sleep since yesterday morning my brain took a minute to understand inter-pair-a-tive :lol

I see what you did there... :hat:

How do we go about nominating Victor as our choice for the next "Dancing with the Stars"? :lol

Results after first month....

227 lbs.

I know I've put on some lean muscle, especially in my legs as I've been getting stronger with my walks while carrying all this extra weight.

I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast now, along with taking two servings of whey protien during the day.....one in the morning and the other after my evening walk/workout.

I'm shooting for a 220 lbs weight, with increased lean muscle mass by the end of March :thumbs

Holy cow u lost 227lbs!?!?!

:smilelol

But seriously good job Victor. Takes a lot of hard work and the majority or people give up. Just try to make that lifestyle change so that weight stays off. Maybe pick up interpretive dancing lol.

:smilelol Before I caught the flu, I beleive I was at 242....dropped to 238 following pretty much 6+ days of fasting during my flu week(s)(due to no appetite, fever, etc.) Started this thread the beginning of the month coming into SuperBowl Sunday (2/4/2012). First couple of weeks, I went on an extreme calorie deficient diet and started my walking routine. Last week, added protien to my diet as I began lifting weights again (light weight 3X week minimum)to start adding lean muscle bulk...which I can already see and feel in my traps, shoulders, pecs, arms, and especially my legs.

On weekends, I allow myself to splurge a little bit (Dave's BBQ at the track and the Gila Bend BBQ) and two beers at Friday's happy hour events. Other than that, no soda (replaced with Mio spiked water), no fried or fast food, etc.

So, total loss since the flu is 15+ lbs......11 lbs since I started really paying attention and beginning my diet/fitness routine.

Lifestyle change......I'm going to start using speedshop service advisor's as punching bags for my cardio work :smilelol

I'm on target for my goals......so far :partydance:

How do we go about nominating Victor as our choice for the next "Dancing with the Stars"? :lol

:funnypost:

Did my first jog this morning. Walked the first 1.25 miles (20 minutes) for warmup. Jogged the return 1.25 miles in a leisurely 12 minutes at a 50% pace :partydance: No ankle or knee issues, so I'll stay at jogging this distance and concentrate on picking up the pace for the next month. :thumbs Time to eat my 1/2 cup of oatmeal and my whey protien drink .

oh.....and starting March at 227 lbs, looking for 220 or less by the end of the month :)

your knees and ankles are like the shocks on your car, driving that pothole road with new shocks is fine, but do it for a year and they will be beat to death. Pay good money for some really good jogging shoes or just stick to walking... I have the number to a good orthopedic surgeon if you need it later.

your knees and ankles are like the shocks on your car, driving that pothole road with new shocks is fine, but do it for a year and they will be beat to death. Pay good money for some really good jogging shoes or just stick to walking...

I have the number to a good orthopedic surgeon if you need it later.

I'm letting my body dictate what it can do...hence why I just stayed with walking for the first couple of weeks, but going for long distances.

I speed walked the other night and covered my 4.2 mile walk in 1 hour flat, but my left ankle was a bit soar. I took a day off from the walks for recovery, walked 4.2 last night at standard pace (1 hr 10 minutes), and was fine. I'm concious of jogging/running while carrying all this extra weight and is why I didn't start jogging right away. This morning was my first attempt at 50% and everything felt great, but if at any time I feel any soreness or pain, I'll back off a bit.

FYI - I use Nike Crosstrainers and a pair of Nike "Walking" sneakers, but might try out the newer style of crosstrainers that have been advertised showing the shock absortion ability when running cross country over rugged terrain.

My routes I walk/run are paved fairly well, and I'm concious of stepping off the curbs when I get to them.

Have you started walking yet ?

Have you considered hiking? You'll get cardio from the varying inclines and not shock your knees and ankles nearly as much. Speaking from experience a few years back I wish I hadn't jogged, fast-walked, or run. My knees and ankles hurt so bad now its ridiculous.

Walking.... or working? :lol i trying to use the eliptical when i can...