The ever unpopular "I need to lose weight" thread

FNBADAZ06

Wow, nice job Victor! My only recommendation is that once a week or once every two week you need to have a "cheat day" where you eat let's say 2000 or 2200 calories. That way your metabolism has a shock and has some work to do rather than getting all shrunk up due to your smaller calorie, healthier diet. But it looks like you did it this weekend which I truly believe helps a good amount. Don't let yourself get too bored with the diet either or else you'll have a hard time sticking to it in the long-term.

Good for you Vic! I have been slacking, a couple of days not counting and it's so easy to fall back into old habits. I'm going to use your success to push me back into doing better....

Wow, nice job Victor! My only recommendation is that once a week or once every two week you need to have a "cheat day" where you eat let's say 2000 or 2200 calories. That way your metabolism has a shock and has some work to do rather than getting all shrunk up due to your smaller calorie, healthier diet. But it looks like you did it this weekend which I truly believe helps a good amount. Don't let yourself get too bored with the diet either or else you'll have a hard time sticking to it in the long-term.

Mir.....you're correct....my weekends I slacken up a bit with my food selection.

But, I also up my daily walk mileage to 4.5 miles :) Staying with a routine is the hardest part to overcome.

Mentally, I don't "think" I'm suffering on the food side of things as I love salads, veggies, and chicken.....so in my mindset, I'm not really dieting so much as I'm cutting back the quantity. Add the walking to the program and my craving for food have gone down as well....my appetite is down quite a ways from where I was. Seeing the positive results only fuels my desire to keep going, and while my expectations was for roughly 2 lbs per week, it sure looks like my metabolism and aerobic routine coupled with my caloric intake has me ahead of schedule :thumbs

Good for you Vic!

I have been slacking, a couple of days not counting and it's so easy to fall back into old habits. I'm going to use your success to push me back into doing better....

Dwayne.....some may dissagree with me on this, but I firmly believe my walking routine has had a larger impact on my health and weight loss than the dieting part. No matter what, I walk at minimum my 2.5 mile circuit each day....it takes me roughly 40 minutes to complete and with my iPhone handy, I'm listening to tunes, checking e-mail, and responding to text, all while walking.

If you haven't started or included any walking to your daily schedule, you might want to try it....I think you'll be pleasaently suprised :thumbs

One last comment...... A buddy of mine that was a professional baseball player turned me on to a smartphone app called Endomondo, that let's us track each other's fitness goals and status. While he's only 29 and in WAY better shape than me, it's fun for us to compete against one another and keeps me honest on my routine. He had to spot me a 30% handicap, but hey, what the hell...I'm 20 years older than him !!!! :partydance:

One last comment......

A buddy of mine that was a professional baseball player turned me on to a smartphone app called Endomondo, that let's us track each other's fitness goals and status. While he's only 29 and in WAY better shape than me, it's fun for us to compete against one another and keeps me honest on my routine.

He had to spot me a 30% handicap, but hey, what the hell...I'm 20 years older than him !!!! :partydance:

Last comment? :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

So what handicap am I going to have to spot you on the 3 mile Thunderbird park mountain?

Oh wait...you should spot me 30%. :yesnod

One last comment......

A buddy of mine that was a professional baseball player turned me on to a smartphone app called Endomondo, that let's us track each other's fitness goals and status. While he's only 29 and in WAY better shape than me, it's fun for us to compete against one another and keeps me honest on my routine.

He had to spot me a 30% handicap, but hey, what the hell...I'm 20 years older than him !!!! :partydance:

Last comment? :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

So what handicap am I going to have to spot you on the 3 mile Thunderbird park mountain?

Oh wait...you should spot me 30%. :yesnod

30%.....or you have to carry a 60 lbs backpack :smilelol

Congrats Victor on the weight loss. In my opinion you could be eating A LOT more while still making great progress. Too much of a deficit can reek havoc on your body long term. In experience Ive always had success with a slow and steady approach. Also a weekly refeed would be beneficial to spike leptin levels which will lead to greater fat loss in the long term and keep you sane at the same time. Just keep an eye out on your energy levels, mood, and emotions. If you start to feel run down only after a couple weeks of dieting something is wrong. People dont gain 30lbs or whatever overnight, so it shouldnt be expected to lose in the same amount of time. yours truly, Mr. Arizona :lol

Great input, Mr Skinny....................................no homo :smilelol I'm following you on what you're saying. So far, so good.....but I know full well my diatery needs will change/modify as I continue on this lifestyle change.

Congrats Victor on the weight loss. In my opinion you could be eating A LOT more while still making great progress. Too much of a deficit can reek havoc on your body long term. In experience Ive always had success with a slow and steady approach. Also a weekly refeed would be beneficial to spike leptin levels which will lead to greater fat loss in the long term and keep you sane at the same time. Just keep an eye out on your energy levels, mood, and emotions. If you start to feel run down only after a couple weeks of dieting something is wrong. People dont gain 30lbs or whatever overnight, so it shouldnt be expected to lose in the same amount of time.

yours truly,

Mr. Arizona :lol

:agree

Victor, 800 calories a day for a guy your size is not enough. With the food intake you describe, I guarantee you are not getting enough protein, and although you are enjoying the feeling of shedding pounds quickly, you are not doing your body any favors. Just my :2cents

For an active male you should have a minimum of 1g protein per pb body weight which for a 200lb individual is 800 calories alone. Sufficient fat intake for hormone functions and enough carbs to keep strength/energy up in the gym.

For an active male you should have a minimum of 1g protein per pb body weight which for a 200lb individual is 800 calories alone. Sufficient fat intake for hormone functions and enough carbs to keep strength/energy up in the gym.

what's your take on the different styles and brands of whey protien ?

what's your take on the different styles and brands of whey protien ?

Brands Id shoot for something thats proven. I use Dymatize ISO-100 but most top brands are good and tested for quality. As far as all the types, all these fast acting, hydrolize, yadda yadda yadda is nonsense in my opinion. Just a standard whey or blend is fine. No such thing as fast acting protein. Casein is another good one as it takes longer to digest so some use that later in the day before bedtime. As long as your protein intake is sufficient your muscles are not going to fall off because you bought isolate and not hydrowhey lol.

Hhhhmmmm....looks like Dymatize ISO-100 is 0 Fat, 0 carb, and is a Whey Protein Isolate. How's it taste when mixed with water......does it dissolve well ? Seems like GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 has a strong following as well.

Hhhhmmmm....looks like Dymatize ISO-100 is 0 Fat, 0 carb, and is a Whey Protein Isolate. How's it taste when mixed with water......does it dissolve well ?

Seems like GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 has a strong following as well.

I dont buy anything that tastes bad, mixes well in water and tastes good. I get the rich chocolate. Reason I get it is because it tastes good and easy to fill in my protein requirements without skewing my fat/carb intake. There are better tasting ones out there but Ive always made my whey back to that one......see what I did there. Also GNC stuff is highly overpriced in my opinion for what you get.

Something Ive been doing a lot lately is mixing about 50g of Dymatize protein powder with about 75g great value pancake mix. Mix with water until its like a soup like texture, put in microwavable safe dish, cook for about 90 mins and wallah, protein cake. Pretty good with some Better N Peanut Butter on top.

Hhhhmmmm....looks like Dymatize ISO-100 is 0 Fat, 0 carb, and is a Whey Protein Isolate. How's it taste when mixed with water......does it dissolve well ?

Seems like GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 has a strong following as well.

I dont buy anything that tastes bad, mixes well in water and tastes good. I get the rich chocolate. Reason I get it is because it tastes good and easy to fill in my protein requirements without skewing my fat/carb intake. There are better tasting ones out there but Ive always made my whey back to that one......see what I did there. Also GNC stuff is highly overpriced in my opinion for what you get.

Something Ive been doing a lot lately is mixing about 50g of Dymatize protein powder with about 75g great value pancake mix. Mix with water until its like a soup like texture, put in microwavable safe dish, cook for about 90 mins and wallah, protein cake. Pretty good with some Better N Peanut Butter on top.

Protien cake........only from the kitchen of Mr. Arizona :smilelol

Is the ISO-100 stuff available locally, or is this a Internet purchase ?

I have to agree with you on the GNC stuff......3 lbs of the stuff I mentioned above is $69.00 (55 with their card), and they want you to use 3 scoops per serving......woah :eek:

Dymatize, huh? I have been using BSN Syntha-6. I may have to try it.

I havent had the Syntha 6 but hear its tough to beat, then again it has a higher fat/carb content than most so it should taste really good lol.

Protien cake........only from the kitchen of Mr. Arizona :smilelol

Is the ISO-100 stuff available locally, or is this a Internet purchase ?

I have to agree with you on the GNC stuff......3 lbs of the stuff I mentioned above is $69.00 (55 with their card), and they want you to use 3 scoops per serving......woah :eek:

You can get it at most places, I believe Hi Health sells it. I order all my stuff off bb.com. Great prices, fast shipping, and they usually toss in some free stuff. I think 5lbs is like 58 bucks on there.

cook for about 90 mins and wallah, protein cake.

90 Minutes? More like charcoal cake....

lol sorry I meant seconds

Boom.......you owe me a new microwave :smilelol

I'll give this ISO-100 a try.

Going to add more heavy lifting starting next week, so I'll start upping my protien intake....already up to 7+ miles of walking a day, and I can tell the difference.

You can get it at most places, I believe Hi Health sells it. I order all my stuff off bb.com. Great prices, fast shipping, and they usually toss in some free stuff. I think 5lbs is like 58 bucks on there.

Yep.....Hi-Health had it. I bought a 2 lbs chocolate to see if I like it or not before committing to buying the larger 5 lbs container, and they gave me a discount on it as well.

Seems like it's popular to add a spoonful of peanut butter to it.

Yep.....Hi-Health had it. I bought a 2 lbs chocolate to see if I like it or not before committing to buying the larger 5 lbs container, and they gave me a discount on it as well.

Seems like it's popular to add a spoonful of peanut butter to it.

PB makes everything taste better, like bacon.