The ever unpopular "I need to lose weight" thread

FNBADAZ06

I agree, let's keep it going. I already have my kid hounding me to stick with it.. :lol

The bottom line is, diet and exercise will help you reach your goals, but without self-discipline, any weight-loss progarm is doomed from the beginning. If one can curb "Hand-to-Mouth" disease, they can (and will) lose weight. Watch what you eat, and replace beverages (coffee, soda, energy drinks) with water. Replace junk food with fresh fruit and vegetables such as bananas, apples, grapes, strawberries, carrots, cucumber, etc. Add on a little bit of exercise like walking or light jogging and you are in for a win-win situation. If I can gain muscle through pain-staking workouts and then turn around and lose a total of 32 pounds in just 6 months, so can you. Weight Loss Amplifiers: Stress, Anxiety, and a lack of appetite. Also, if you don't buy crap food, you have to actually get up and drive somewhere to get it. So, just stop buying it and eat healthy. (A little prune juice/Ex-lax smoothie in the morning will help ya too! Hahahaha)

Im sitting pretty solid and happy at 200 even. My heaviest Ive been was 224 and last year dieted down to 166 to compete. You would be surprised where fat hides lol.

Fat hides everywhere. :yesnod I'm not under any false hopes of reaching the extremely low bodyfat or crazy vascularity I had at my early days, but 170-180 should be a good target for me.

I applaud everyone in this thread looking for a change (or making one, awesome job Big Poppa!). I used to tip in at 245, and am now 185. I have about 15 more pounds to go, but it is a journey, not a sprint. Steve, thanks for the awesome info, are you on BB.com? I wish you all success!

I applaud everyone in this thread looking for a change (or making one, awesome job Big Poppa!).

I used to tip in at 245, and am now 185. I have about 15 more pounds to go, but it is a journey, not a sprint. Steve, thanks for the awesome info, are you on BB.com?

I wish you all success!

Dude if you go another 15 people are going to think your sick or something. I went down to 192 and a friend actually was concerned I had cancer or something horrible. I went back up to 205 and that was about right for me

I too have make a life style change.

I know you hate to talk about it, but... You have. And good on you.

Cahd won't say it, but since he started meeting me at the gym he is down 15 lbs. And that was a couple weeks ago. I'm sure he's down another few lbs by now.

In August I was at 255...now I'm under 235. The only thing I did was start getting up in the morning, doing a few hundred abdominal reps for about 10 to 15 minutes and viola...over 20 lbs down. I have not done any in the last month...just too damn tired as work has been very draining...but have not put any of the weight back on. If things settle down I'll get back to it and would like to get down to 220 to 225. No real change in eating habits and nothing else to go along with the ab work. Now imagine if I were to do those other things...I might be as skinny as Cherye or Donna. :smilelol

I applaud everyone that is trying to make a difference in their life. I have found that dedication and discipline are key factors in losing weight. I am currently down 65 lbs. since last April and still working on it. Good luck to everyone! Jerry

Guest badbobs95

Congratulation Jerry, Dwayne, and Chris! I'm now 230 and my goal is 190.

I'm not falling off this time! It will be a week, tomorrow, since I've had a drop of alcohol. Ye gads, I wake up every day feeling clear headed! What's next? I haven't been drunk in 20 years but I can put down some cocktails every night! Then I start looking for something interesting to eat. Usually a lot. Habits are hard to break, but not impossible.

Best of luck to everyone doing this. Just think of the money we'll save so we can spend it on our vettes. What the hell, maybe I'll buy that C3 I've been wanting. Just what a guy needs, 3 vettes. Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image That's me, the fat bald guy. But not for long.

:agree A lot of really good information in this thread so far, but this comment from Cahd really says it all.

Here are my two cents. . .

"Diets" are evil.

If you want to lose weight, keep it off forever, and have the process actually become painless, you must completely change your eating habits and your attitude about food. Food is fuel for your body, and that is the only reason to eat. We all eat for other reasons, and that is what can (and usually does) lead to overweight.

I know what I am talking about because I used to be obese (64% over ideal weight). Yes, I have pictures. NO, you cannot see them. . .

Here is a summary of the program I have followed:

Banish the word "diet" from your vocabulary. Is counting carbs and/or calories the way you want to live for the rest of your life? You can't sustain that. At some point it will piss you off and you'll fall off the diet wagon, and the weight will come back. Some of you have been there before, so you know this is true. It is frustrating and defeating. When you are on a diet, you have way too much focus on food. Food is just fuel for your body, like gas for your Corvette. How much time do you spend thinking about what kind of gas or how much gas you will put in your Vette? I bet you don't - you just whip into Chevron and put in exactly the right amount of premium fuel. You don't underfill it and you don't overfill it either. You put in exactly the right amount. That is what you must do with your body; learn how to fuel it correctly. Exchange your bad eating habits for good eating habits.

Here are the rules I followed to learn good eating habits:

1. Eat only when physically hungry.

2. Stop eating as soon as physically satisfied (not hungry anymore).

3. NEVER continue eating to the point of feeling "full" (if you feel full, you have eaten too much).

4. Eat slowly and ENJOY your food. Give your meal your full attention.

5. Mild excercise (like a brisk walk) about 20 minutes after a meal is beneficial.

6. "Square meals make for round people" eat as many times a day as you are hungry; several small meals are preferable to three large meals daily.

7. Always eat lightly the latter part of the day (no large pizzas and pitchers of beer two hours before bed).

8. It is best to not eat at all if you are very tired physically or emotionally upset. Wait until you have rested or you are no longer upset.

When selecting food, remember that the less processed the better (whole grain products, fresh fruit and vegetables) and lean meat. Junk food, sweets and alcohol should be only a tiny portion of your food intake, as they are empty calories with minimal nutrition. My personal experience was that when I eliminated junk food completely for a few weeks, the next time I tried some it tasted awful. Give it a try, you may find the same thing.

If you start eating healthy and pay attention, your body will tell you when to eat and how much to eat.

Also, remember that if you are losing weight and you don't actively do some kind of strength training at the same time, you will lose lean tissue as well as fat, and when you achieve your weight loss goal, although the scale may look good, your percentage of body fat will be higher than it was when you began.

:agree A lot of really good information in this thread so far, but this comment from Cahd really says it all.

"Diets" are evil.

If you want to lose weight, keep it off forever, and have the process actually become painless, you must completely change your eating habits and your attitude about food. Food is fuel for your body, and that is the only reason to eat. We all eat for other reasons, and that is what can (and usually does) lead to overweight.

I know what I am talking about because I used to be obese (64% over ideal weight). Yes, I have pictures. NO, you cannot see them. . .

Banish the word "diet" from your vocabulary. Is counting carbs and/or calories the way you want to live for the rest of your life? You can't sustain that. At some point it will piss you off and you'll fall off the diet wagon, and the weight will come back. Some of you have been there before, so you know this is true. It is frustrating and defeating. When you are on a diet, you have way too much focus on food. Food is just fuel for your body, like gas for your Corvette. How much time do you spend thinking about what kind of gas or how much gas you will put in your Vette? I bet you don't - you just whip into Chevron and put in exactly the right amount of premium fuel. You don't underfill it and you don't overfill it either. You put in exactly the right amount. That is what you must do with your body; learn how to fuel it correctly. Exchange your bad eating habits for good eating habits.

3. NEVER continue eating to the point of feeling "full" (if you feel full, you have eaten too much).

5. Mild excercise (like a brisk walk) about 20 minutes after a meal is beneficial.

6. "Square meals make for round people" eat as many times a day as you are hungry; several small meals are preferable to three large meals daily.

7. Always eat lightly the latter part of the day (no large pizzas and pitchers of beer two hours before bed).

8. It is best to not eat at all if you are very tired physically or emotionally upset. Wait until you have rested or you are no longer upset.

When selecting food, remember that the less processed the better (whole grain products, fresh fruit and vegetables) and lean meat. Junk food, sweets and alcohol should be only a tiny portion of your food intake, as they are empty calories with minimal nutrition. My personal experience was that when I eliminated junk food completely for a few weeks, the next time I tried some it tasted awful. Give it a try, you may find the same thing.

If you start eating healthy and pay attention, your body will tell you when to eat and how much to eat.

Also, remember that if you are losing weight and you don't actively do some kind of strength training at the same time, you will lose lean tissue as well as fat, and when you achieve your weight loss goal, although the scale may look good, your percentage of body fat will be higher than it was when you began.

You should work for the Department of Health, I think you have a knack or something!

I applaud everyone that is trying to make a difference in their life. I have found that dedication and discipline are key factors in losing weight. I am currently down 65 lbs. since last April and still working on it. Good luck to everyone!

Jerry

Quitting smoking after 40 years was easy, because my body didn't need it at all, so I just stopped one day.

But I require food in some amount on a daily basis.

I've been between 172 and 186 for the last 10+ years no matter what, or how much, I eat and/or exercise and work. It seems like my body is on auto-discipline cruise control and I can't find the manual over-ride switch.

So I'll join you "losers" for about 15-20 pounds worth, because they don't make bell-top jeans for guys with guts.

Note to self: Sell stock in Mens Big And Tall, Womens Plus, and Hershey's.

"Diets" are evil.

:2cents really? This was more like a buck and a half. :lol

But you are right...it's not a diet. For me I didn't change my eating at all...well, except for I haven't had fast food in I don't know how long...more about money than losing weight though. Just that 10 minutes or so a day.

I applaud everyone in this thread looking for a change (or making one, awesome job Big Poppa!).

I used to tip in at 245, and am now 185. I have about 15 more pounds to go, but it is a journey, not a sprint. Steve, thanks for the awesome info, are you on BB.com?

I wish you all success!

I am. I normally just hang our in the contest prep and powerlifting section.

6 out of 7 days last week under 2000 calories. Carbs are still 100 to 150 range, still working on staying under 100. Staying under 2000 calories is doable/easy, I might lower my limit to 1800..... good idea or not?

I know you hate to talk about it, but... You have. And good on you.

Cahd won't say it, but since he started meeting me at the gym he is down 15 lbs. And that was a couple weeks ago. I'm sure he's down another few lbs by now.

ya know one of the best tools in any program which encompasses a life style change, is support from friends and others who are waging the same battles...

since the end of November I too have been in the weight loss mode, but mostly thru increased activity and less intake opportunity. Not sure how much but I have some of Dawgs wardrobe symptoms. I also think I may have aged about 5 years in teh past 3 months.

This is great guys :grphug:

Well, I knew Super Bowl Sunday was going to be a tuff day to stay away from the bad stuff, so I only ate half a large shrimp ring (with spicy cocktail sauce), two stout margarita's, and could only eat half of the two pound slice of prime rib put on my plate. No chips, beer, dips, or any desserts. I had no need to eat dinner, and had a salad and an apple for breakfast earlier in the day. Overall, I didn't kill it on Sunday so all is good. :thumbs

I started as well and was around the 260 mark when i started a bit before the holidays. I lost about 13 lbs to get to 260 and then went without any loss. I actually started using Healthy Trim to help me get past the eating i did at work and the junk. Since Christmas i am down to 247lbs and falling. I do the following: 1. Healthy Trim two tablets in the am. 2. drink 3-4 bottles of water between 7am and 11am 3. eat a low carb lunch and no saturated fats if i can prevent. I am eating balanced lunch like chicken,vegetable,and drinking water. 4. dinner i am eating small portions and no breads and drinking more water. I have actually not had caffene now for 16 days and i am amazed how calm i am becoming and not so anxious. I am back in the gym starting this week doing cardio and light lifting as i needed to get thru my hunger and caffene withdraws first to get motivated naturally. I plan on losing another 20lbs over the next 3 months and staying at 225lbs which is a good weight for me.

Do you think the Healthy Trim makes a difference? I've always been leery of weight-loss supplements like that..

So far i think it does. It makes me feel full and helps the cravings. Now some of it could really be mental but i figured what the heck money back if i didn't lose any. Sometimes a change and belief can make things happen!

6 out of 7 days last week under 2000 calories.

Carbs are still 100 to 150 range, still working on staying under 100.

Staying under 2000 calories is doable/easy, I might lower my limit to 1800..... good idea or not?

Bad idea. Don't push it. You are a big dude and you need to make sure you are getting adequate protein and other nutrition. You didn't gain weight overnight, and you shouldn't try to lose it too fast. If you cut your calories too much, your body will think there is a famine and will actually lower your metabolism to compensate, which is the LAST thing you want. I am not making this up. Be patient and concentrate on teaching yourself good eating habits. You'll get there! :thumbs

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not one to get on the scale on a daily basis to check my weight...usually check at the end of the month. But, I made an exception just to see if I'm on target with my weekly losses and it looks like 2 lbs per week is what I'm getting at the moment; that roughly a 7000 calorie deficit a week :thumbs . I've began a daily walking routine that is about 2.5 miles in distance (I go 4+ miles on Saturday mornings) and am looking into the fitness center at the GCC campus that is about 1/2 down the road from me for my weight lifting regement ($25.00/month).

Alright....success !!!! Even after my diet of Dave's smoked pork, chips, pasta salad, and beer over the weekend, I'm now at 226......down 12+ in two weeks , or, 6 pounds a week :partydance: I've upped my mileage (beginning this morning)per day on my walks by going on a 2.5 miler before heading off to the office in the morning, along with doing at least 2.5 in the evening an hour after eating dinner. I'll wait a few more pounds before trying a jog as I don't want the pounding on my knees and ankles while carrying the extra weight. I'm currently walking at a pace of approximately 3.5 MPH. My inital soreness has resided after beginning my weight lifting regement, so I'm set on upping my reps and weight. I might wait a few more weeks before adding whey protien to my daily food consumption, and after doing some reading and investigation, I think I'll add one day of fasting to my routine as well. I'm guessing I'm under 800 calories a day as far as food consumption, so I'm packing a significant caloric deficet based on my calculated standing metabolic rate : 1) 2 apples a day, one at breakfast and one at lunch. 2) early dinner at 4:30 of a salad of mixed greens, 2 oz of lean turkey, a few sprinkles of grated motzarella cheese, sliced jalapenos, and 8-10 small cherry tomatoes, topped with a small amount of fat free zesty italian dressing. I also have one medium sized boneless, skinless chicken breast (lemon herb, pre-cooked from Fry's), and one 12 oz can of cut string beans (with tobasco sauce). Overall, I've surpassed my expectation and I know I'll be doing really well as I start to add some lean muscle back onto my frame. As expected, my energy levels have gone way up and my appetite has shrunk....a good combo !!! It'll be interesting where I'll be at the end of March :partydance: The only side effect of walking/working out before going to bed is I'm not getting a good night's sleep...presumably because of my elevated tetesterone levels....I toss and turn all night. I'll start taking some supplements to assist in that area and see what happens.