Balljoints will not budge

AdamMeh

I have tried for almost 3 hours today to get these upper and lower balljoints to bust loose from the spindle - and no luck at all. I just can't get them to pop. Three pound hammer with full "pissed off" swings and nothing. :banghead If anyone has a secret to share I'd appreciate any thoughts. This thing kicked my butt today. :facepalm:

Oh... and the drivers side brake rotor is toast and the caliper is leaking. I would guess that the passenger side will be just as bad. Seems like it became a very expensive day for the car fund wallet. .... deep breath .... I'm in a happy place... I'm in a happy place... I'm in a happy place :)

Bromley's Corvettes

High power air hammer and heat they will pop lol. I have had some nasty ones that you have to pound on it while using the air hammer and it still takes awhile. Oh ya you will need a big shop air compressor to make the air hammer work hard enough to pop them.

Are you using a pickle fork?. It is a wedge shaped tool that separates the spindle from the ball joint. Without it it can be be damn near impossible to remove the ball joints.

I live in Peoria. Need my help? I have the tool. In fact I just did my lower ball joints last friday. I'll PM my number.

Hey Guys, I have a small air compressor but no air hammer. Caveman, I have two pickle forks - one for ball joints and one for tierods. I did receive your PM and I might just take you up on that offer - much appreciated :thumbs I'm stubborn as can be but wow, this thing kicked my butt today lol Sad part is, the brake issues have now canceled my goal of having it running by Christmas. Oh well... I'm still sticking with my plan of safety stuff first before I drive it. Hoping I get to drive it before it gets hot out again.

I'm going to go pickup a air hammer and ball joint fork at Harbor Freight this morning. I MUST win this battle. :bang I think my compressor will handle it - I painted my last Challenger with it. It's a Black Max brand upright.

Warm up the spindle with a MAP gas torch that'll help. Do you still have spring tension against it??

That should work if you pound on it with a huge hammer at the same time lol.

That's the plan! Brute force lol Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to give it a few whacks. I did pick up a air hammer this morning.

Warm up the spindle with a MAP gas torch that'll help.

Do you still have spring tension against it??

Yes, I left the lower attached so the spring is helping me with the upper. If the air hammer doesn't work by itself, the torch will come out next. I'm guessing the lower will be just as much of a battle - and I still have to try the passenger side :eek

It's all ball bearings these days.

There's a tremendous amount of gook all over these windows!

Success!!

Ever feel like

Posted Image

when you finally win one of these battles? :thumbs

I called up a friend of mine who used to own a brake shop here in the valley. He gave me his secret to this and it worked great. It's all a matter of WHERE you hit the spindle. I'm new to front end work so I didn't know that. Three swings of the hammer and "pop" - off they came.

Also, while I was on the phone with him we were talking about the front calipers leaking and guess what... In his stuff from his old shop, he has a set of 4 Corvette calipers with SS sleeves ready to be put together. They are even blasted clean and he thinks he has new brake lines as well. He said he'd make me a really good deal on them - AND he has his brake machines setup at his house so he's going to see if he can save my rotors for me! If they are below spec we won't risk it, but at least it's a option to try and save them now :yesnod

It was a GOOD day.

Adam

Success!!

Ever feel like

Posted Image

when you finally win one of these battles? :thumbs

I called up a friend of mine who used to own a brake shop here in the valley. He gave me his secret to this and it worked great. It's all a matter of WHERE you hit the spindle. I'm new to front end work so I didn't know that. Three swings of the hammer and "pop" - off they came.

Also, while I was on the phone with him we were talking about the front calipers leaking and guess what... In his stuff from his old shop, he has a set of 4 Corvette calipers with SS sleeves ready to be put together. They are even blasted clean and he thinks he has new brake lines as well. He said he'd make me a really good deal on them - AND he has his brake machines setup at his house so he's going to see if he can save my rotors for me! If they are below spec we won't risk it, but at least it's a option to try and save them now :yesnod

It was a GOOD day.

Adam

I believe original C3 rotors were riveted on at the assembly line so they wouldn't fall off. If they are riveted on, you may want to save them for originality sake, otherwise you could replace them for a modern rotor.

Great news !!! The down side of old stuff ..... but it soooooo cool when it's all new again ..... Posted Image

I believe original C3 rotors were riveted on at the assembly line so they wouldn't fall off. If they are riveted on, you may want to save them for originality sake, otherwise you could replace them for a modern rotor.

Mine still have the original rivets in them. Not bad for 100,000 miles :)

Not sure exactly what year you have, I had a 69. The brake line from front to rear is a bitch to replace. If you do need to replace, I would suggest not using the stainless lines as they don't bend and makes the install much more difficult.