Big bore short stroke or big bore long stroke?

Jon

Since I have a warranty on my engine and I don't want do risk messing it up I have given thought to building the LS2 block I have sitting around. I've got complete 243 heads I can sell to get more cash for the build, forged no name 6.125" rods I can sell, ARP main studs I can sell. To keep I have ARP head studs, a DM Performance main girdle with longer ARP main studs, a few sets of .080" wall pushrods, and other odds and ends. I think it would be neat to build a 4.125"-4.185" bore engine with a stock 4.8L truck crank 3.27" stroke. That would be a 350"-360" screamer. Have WCCH do their stage 3 port work on my LS3 heads. They flow 380cfm at .700" lift on the intake and 254cfm on the exhaust. http://www.proheads.com/WCCH%20L92.html On the other hand a big 4.125-4.185 bore 4.125" stroke would be neat also. That would be a 441"-454" motor. If I kept to the big inch motor I could just use my stock intake since the RPM range of the big motor could be supported by a stock style intake manifold. The small inch screamer would really need a custom sheet metal Beck or Marcella intake manifold and that adds $3k-$4k+ to the project. I was going to send the block to ERL, but they have been so backlogged it's ridiculous. Who else does a good job of installing sleeves? If I do this I can keep my LS3 sitting around as a spare engine.

Man, there is too much here to talk about tonight. I will come back to this. It is probably time for a good old-fashioned engine math lesson, anyway. watch this space....

The torque of the bigger motor is much more fun. The bigger motors can still rpm very well now that lite weight internals are easy to get. I have a small block with 4.125" pistons and 4" crank, love it.

I forget the name of the car company that had a 754 c.i. motor roughly 100 years ago. It was an 8" bore and 15" stroke one cyl. and developed a lot of HP for the time. Lotsa torque too, but maxed out at 3000 RPM. :edward:

I forget the name of the car company that had a 754 c.i. motor roughly 100 years ago. It was an 8" bore and 15" stroke one cyl. and developed a lot of HP for the time. Lotsa torque too, but maxed out at 3000 RPM. :edward:

Train car company? Holy Jebus, that's big! (insert what she said joke here).

Bromley's Corvettes

I have had my 565 up to 9k its a 4.600 bore and 4.250 stroke with 6.800 rods. It loves 7700 it spins up like crazy for a big engine. Posted Image

I like the idea of big displacement with a good balanced crank to tap some high rpm, the smaller even higher reving motor would be nice too, either one sounds good

I like the idea of big displacement with a good balanced crank to tap some high rpm, the smaller even higher reving motor would be nice too, either one sounds good

I've had a couple small cube motors that approached 20,000 RPM. They flat scream.

Less is not More. Size does matter! The torque available throughout the power curve from idle all the way to redline is just more fun. You dont have to flog it hard to enjoy the chirpies in all 4 gears or demoralize a Mustang :) ..etc. -Frank (big blocks ruined my life .. altho the LS motors are phenomenal I do wonder what a 572 with LS firing order and cathedral heads would be like) (yes, I know you would have to custom grind a cam and crank .. a chat with Lunati or Hank, Crane or Engle .. all it takes is the will to do so :)

Bromley's Corvettes

When I get rich I am going to put twin turbos on my 565. Just some small ones like 88s or maybe 91s lol.

Holy balls, would love to have heard that one.

Twin turbo will make more power and torque then the other options and drive like stock. ;)

Who makes a good kit for the C6?