To Seam or Not To Seam

AdamMeh

That is the question :smilelol Man, I crack myself up.

OK... I'm a few steps ahead of where we are with the '77 but this has been on my mind so I thought I'd ask for some of your thoughts on this.

When I get to the bodywork I'm am considering glassing/filling the seams at the front and back bumpers. I think I like the look of this (not sure yet) but I am wondering what negatives there could be from it? The main one I can think of is if there is ever any damage to the bumpers I now have to blend in the paint whereas I could just repaint the bumper if it was not one piece with the front and back of the car. The car will be black (no metallic) so it should be easy to blend if needed (hopefully it never will be! But I'm trying to realistic about it).

Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Adam

Here are a couple of web photos that show what I am talking about

Rear shot - notice no seams where the body and bumper cover meet -

Posted Image

Front Shot - same thing

Posted Image

Remember if you want to go no seams you have to replace both ends with the fiberglass versions, if the flex ones you have now are crap then it will be close to the same cost... The 2 downsides are if you bump something or someone bumbs you it will crack, and may crack into the fenders. Bigger repair! If your going to be driving your C3 plan on doing the whole seam with glass cloth, they weren't designed to be one piece so there will be some flexing which could crack, spot putty won't survive... That being said, I love the no seam look, I just always worried about the risks.

Hmmm Good point on the fiberglass replacements. I'm not sure, but I think the rear cover is fiberglass now - it doesn't seem to give at all like the flex covers. I'll know more about that once I start sanding etc. Thank you for the direction on that - excellent! Adam EDIT: I just did a check on the rear and it is a flex bumper (stock).

Nice thread! I thought about doing a seamless nose and tail on mine when I repainted it. I changed my mind because of the possibility of big time cracking issues and what would be involved if I had to repair and repaint. I would stay with the stock nose and tail, but I really like the seamless tail look. :thumbs

If your planning on driving a lot I'm with Dwayne & Tom, looks good without but not very practical. Just my .02

It 'seams' to me that you shouldn't be bumping into stuff with your vette anyway. And any other car that hits you is usually way over the 5mph flex bumpers rating anyway....sooooo....Go for it.

It 'seams' to me that you shouldn't be bumping into stuff with your vette anyway.

And any other car that hits you is usually way over the 5mph flex bumpers rating anyway....sooooo....Go for it.

Agree with you on that - Not to worried about me bumping into stuff, more about other people bumping into me. I may decide to get the fiberglass bumper replacements at some point before I paint - need to see what happens with that.

Thank you for all the feedback on this guys,

Adam