4.6* of Knock Retard?

Jon

With me putting the Callaway Honker, I really hope the MAF doesn't spaz out. I'm throwing on the dyno in a couple minutes. Unfortunately my laptop battery died and I can't log it. :(

My experience says, as long as you leave the airflow alone around where the shroud is up front where your airbridge and filter draw air, you'll be OK. It's when the shroud has been modified or propped open where you get into trouble with air aimed directly into the face of the filter and MAF.

People who have used the Vette-Air ram-air units from Carlos had these issues, which required a defuser be placed directly in front on the airfilter to stabilize the airflow.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Two Fangs

• Jon

• FNBADAZ06

• NicD

Top Posters In This Topic

With me putting the Callaway Honker, I really hope the MAF doesn't spaz out. I'm throwing on the dyno in a couple minutes. Unfortunately my laptop battery died and I can't log it. :(

Jon, the good news through all of this is that the car is keeping itself safe.

Jump back on here when you ave a little time and we will do what we can to sort out the cause of it by just logging data.

A lot of people don't realize you need to think of air as a fluid. I'm having heat transfer and fluid flow flashbacks now. Thanks. :D

I love you, man....

***EDIT*** No homo...

Yup, more than likely burst knock but log the right pids and find out for sure. Very common with aftermarket intakes as it can disrupt the airflow going through the MAF more so than the stock intake tract. More often than not you are pulling timing out of the factory tune regardless with our crap gas, etc here in AZ.

Yup, more than likely burst knock but log the right pids and find out for sure. Very common with aftermarket intakes as it can disrupt the airflow going through the MAF more so than the stock intake tract. More often than not you are pulling timing out of the factory tune regardless with our crap gas, etc here in AZ.

Dude!! You made it!!

There's beer in the fridge, help yourself...

Dude!! You made it!!

Thanks! I'll try to come around more often and give my thoughts but I'm just so damn busy lately I don't get the chance to post as often as I used to.

The log from this morning was on the way to LPM with everything stock. I'll post the full log file when I get home.

Dude!! You made it!!

Thanks! I'll try to come around more often and give my thoughts but I'm just so damn busy lately I don't get the chance to post as often as I used to.

Finally, with a more dedicated tech section to this kind of stuff, it'll be easier to find stuff of interest or shit you can help us noobs understand , when you have the time, of course :smilelol

Personally, I am digging this new section :Jake:

VERY, most excellent :thumbs

Now ***New & Improved*** with more NicD flavoring than the original...

:lol ......no homo, right ? :smilelol

Damn...see what Kleva started ????? :partydance:

Ha ha ha, Yeah I posted that and I was like "Hmmm, that's the second homo thing I've posted in this thread..." :lol :lol :lol

Micheal, it might be nice to make a glossary/dictionary for a lot of the abreviations so us novice lurkers can get a better understanding WTF you guys are talking about. :lol

MAF, MAP, ECT, IAT PCM, etc. Maybe even TRON. :lol I know a few but I'm sure there's folks out there who don't.

Knock knock...

Who's there?

Retard.

I LOL'd! :yourock:

I also am enjoying the new section! It makes it much easier to find threads that I can learn new things from.

How the hell did I get brought up here lol. As for PE tables, interesting but I am not sure I like it as much as sticking to the sensor readings of the Wideband but with two other inputs ok.. however it seems its normal to turn one off which means one input... which leads me back to why no o2's....

MAF, MAP, ECT, IAT PCM, etc. Maybe even TRON. :lol I know a few but I'm sure there's folks out there who don't.

I'm still trying to figure out these technical terms like:

"And you though TRON was trippy"

"this pisses off the computer a tad"

"...the MAF freaks out"

"hope the MAF doesn't spaz out"

"all kinds of crazy shit starts to happen."

And who are Jeanne Dixon and TJWong?

:popcorn:

My experience says, as long as you leave the airflow alone around where the shroud is up front where your airbridge and filter draw air, you'll be OK. It's when the shroud has been modified or propped open where you get into trouble with air aimed directly into the face of the filter and MAF.

People who have used the Vette-Air ram-air units from Carlos had these issues, which required a defuser be placed directly in front on the airfilter to stabilize the airflow.

I'm not buying that explanation. The only guy with a diffuser I know, is JoeC5 on CF. The problem is kinda like whistling on a pop top. You can't keep the velocity constant on the filter face. The Donaldson powercore filter will create laminar flow from stagnant air, but can't be expected to deliver constant volume from a turbulent air mass.

I'm still trying to figure out these technical terms like:

"And you though TRON was trippy"

"this pisses off the computer a tad"

"...the MAF freaks out"

"hope the MAF doesn't spaz out"

"all kinds of crazy shit starts to happen."

And who are Jeanne Dixon and TJWong?

:popcorn:

:smilelol

I'm not buying that explanation. The only guy with a diffuser I know, is JoeC5 on CF. The problem is kinda like whistling on a pop top. You can't keep the velocity constant on the filter face. The Donaldson powercore filter will create laminar flow from stagnant air, but can't be expected to deliver constant volume from a turbulent air mass.

There are many more than just JoeC5 on CF that had this issue as well.....maybe the LS7 is more sensitive to the issue...don't know. Mark (AirBusPilot) is just one of the guys who also experieinced the issue with the factory OEM setup with a modified shroud and Vette-Air......seems to me Jay417 had issues with the modded shroud as well. I can tell you without doubt that my K&N closed face filter that came as part of my KillerBee II, with the MAF forward design, is WAY more sensitive to the propped shroud, and gives me small issues when at light throttle or coasting with no throttle.Closing up the shroud makes the issue dissappear.

This same condition exist if I use my OEM filter and airbridge assembly.

:agree this stuff is top notch ....... THANKS to all who are taking the time to try and educate those of us who don't have a clue ...... AWESOME !!!

makes one wonder how much of the information on this topic could spill over into our older (non-LS) set ups .???? Very Interesting ..........

How the hell did I get brought up here lol.

As for PE tables, interesting but I am not sure I like it as much as sticking to the sensor readings of the Wideband but with two other inputs ok.. however it seems its normal to turn one off which means one input... which leads me back to why no o2's....

Cross, once again, I am not sure I follow what you are saying. Can you please provide more detail?