Let's talk about Seafoam

Ted Y

What is it? How does it work? Can you really add it to the intake, the crankcase, and fuel system, or is it snake oil?

Some people swear by it. You risk hydro-locking your motor when you suck it in the brake line hose. It makes a spectacular smoke show after letting it sit for a while. I use it in oil on used vehicles I get to clean out the oil passages and lifters. Never bothered adding it to the fuel.

I sell it, and have used it on both of my TPI cars with teh long straw through teh throttle body, with no ill effects, but I didn't really notice any benefit either....

Did this to my son's Impala and blew white smoke for fifteen minutes. Car ran better and stronger from a seat of the pants feel

I have always been worried about running it in your oil for a long period of time... heck the short amount of time I did it just recently really concerned me. But I have run it through the intakes of many many many cars and never had an issue it works great!

Seafoam is kind of a miracle in a can (or bottle), okay, okay, not really but.... It contains a mixture of ingredients that can (sometimes) cure minor engine maladies due to varnish, carbon, paraffin, or water. Seafoam contains two "active ingredients" in one bottle to assist in this; isopropyl alcohol as a drying agent and naptha as a solvent. Seafoam also includes a light oil and a small amount of water to round out the mix. In any instance where the engine may exhibit rough running due to water in the fuel, or due to paraffin or carbon deposits in fuel injectors or other tight tolerance parts exposed to gasoline or oil, Seafoam works great when used as directed. It is not a cure-all, nor is it a replacement for using top-tier fuels or performing route maintenance. As it contains a solvent which can dangerously thin engine oil, as well as introduce additional contaminants to the engine oil as part of the cleaning process, do not use it for prolonged periods unless it is in very small amounts. :nerd:

I take it if you do use it, would it would be wise to change oil after or would the residue hang around anyway?

Absolutely change the oil after using it. :yesnod It will help remove the deposits that the solvent softened.

Absolutely change the oil after using it. :yesnod

It will help remove the deposits that the solvent softened.

:agree I've used Seafoam on the Lexus, as I wasn't the original owner and didn't know what quality of gas was used by the previous owner. I wasn't having any issues with the car (it was only two years old at the time and less than 10K miles) but did it as a preventative maintenance thing right before my first oil change and the beginning of my servicing routine/records on the car during my ownership period.

Upon running the Seafoam, I immediatley changed the oil. :yesnod

It is effective, but not as effective as GM Upper Engine Cleaner. If you can find a can of the old "Top Engine Cleaner" (what the Upper Engine Cleaner replaces), that stuff is the best, but alas, it can kill you, so it is no longer made, but can still be found on eBay and the like.

Seafoam is kind of a miracle in a can (or bottle), okay, okay, not really but....

It contains a mixture of ingredients that can (sometimes) cure minor engine maladies due to varnish, carbon, paraffin, or water.

Seafoam contains two "active ingredients" in one bottle to assist in this; isopropyl alcohol as a drying agent and naptha as a solvent. Seafoam also includes a light oil and a small amount of water to round out the mix.

In any instance where the engine may exhibit rough running due to water in the fuel, or due to paraffin or carbon deposits in fuel injectors or other tight tolerance parts exposed to gasoline or oil, Seafoam works great when used as directed.

It is not a cure-all, nor is it a replacement for using top-tier fuels or performing route maintenance. As it contains a solvent which can dangerously thin engine oil, as well as introduce additional contaminants to the engine oil as part of the cleaning process, do not use it for prolonged periods unless it is in very small amounts.

:nerd:

:werd:

I've used it in both fuel tank and oil crankcase with good results - when I had the bad intake R & R with all the gunky oil, I added it after I had put 500 miles on the fresh oil, the changed it again...got some nice white smoke for a bit as I drove it to work a couple of days before I did the oil change. But it seems to realy help getting things cleaned up...including my cold start injector!

:yesnod