lowering a c6

Guest 2010yumavette

Guest 2010yumavette

i know its been covered but im thinking of lowering it 1/2 in can this be done with the stock bolts? and any alignment issues?

I lowered my c6. Was a fairly easy job. If you only want to get 1/2 inch it is even easier because no cutting is necessary. my advice is to lower the rear as low as it will go, then lower the front to match. I lowered mine close to 1 inch, but I had to cut the rear "donut" to get the rear lower to match the front. What I mean by donut is the end of the adjustment bolt there are 3 steel donuts covered in rubber. I cut one of the donuts off with a sawzall. use the following link with pictures to see how to take the weight off of the bolt. Basically, jack the rear of the car with one floor jack, then with a second jack, jack up the fiberglass leafspring so that the adjustment bolt is no longer touching the spring. This will make it very easy to turn. Turn counter clockwise with a 10mm wrench or socket. when you cannot turn anymore, you are as low as it will go. The following link gives very explicid instructions. You do not need to take the suspension aprt if you use the stock bolts. The following article is for replacing with aftermarket. http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_0706_c6_chevrolet_corvette_lowering/index.html Once you have lowered it, drive around for a while, especially over a bumpy road to get everything seated properly, then go get a wheel alignment. Thats it. pm me if you have any questions. Rob

Corvette Kid

My advice would be to lower it the correct way, with coil overs. We have had prob a half a dozen C6s on the lift with splits down the spring from people lowering them with the bolts. This just puts too much strain on the spring. Also I can tell you from experience on a C4 that I lowered for my self and had to replace the fiberglass springs....twice....

We have had prob a half a dozen C6s on the lift with splits down the spring from people lowering them with the bolts. This just puts too much strain on the spring.

I'm not saying that you haven't seen the problems, but... I've never heard of that, and knowing how they work, I don't get how the height adjustment could place excess strain on the spring. It's the same car with the same weight, and the spring sits in the same spot and flexes the same amount. The only thing that changes is the relationship of the suspension arm to the spring. If the arm is an inch from the spring or a foot from the spring, the spring will see all the same dynamic forces...

Care to elaborate on your findings?

I'm with Poppa on this one. Actually, IF anything, I think once you back the bolts out there is LESS continuous pressure on the spring.

No, the continuous pressure doesn't change. ONLY the distance between spring and suspension arm.

No, the continuous pressure doesn't change. ONLY the distance between spring and suspension arm.

I said "IF" :lol

Corvette Kid

I am not sure of the WHY....but on MY personal C4 I SNAPPED a spring after I lowered it, replaced it and within a couple months the new one had a split in it. After I sold the car to a guy I knew, and he knew of the issues I had, he also ended up having to replace the front spring. Also, on a few of the C6s we have had on the lift on ones that were lowered as far as they would go, they had splits right down the spring. Like I say...I don't know how, or why..just telling you what I have personally experienced and what I have seen.....BTW...we have had HUNDREDS of vettes on our lift and I have NEVER seen a problem on a vette that wasn't lowered. BUT...that being said....if you are going for 1/2" I don't think you will have the issues...the ones I have seen problems with were lowered as far as they would go. MY C4 the top of the tire was tucked in the fender.

Hmm... Well I wish there were more info. The springs, were they cracked longitudinally or latitudinal?

Corvette Kid

The C5/C6s I have seen were long wise on the spring....my C4 had a bunch long wise and then a big one across lol. Bu like I saw, the ones I have seen and my own car were cars that were hammered. Its also something that I look for when I have the cars on the lift just because of my own experience. Prob not something that would jump out at you if you werent looking.