For Sale section rules discussion

MOTV8

ADMIN NOTE!!!

I moved all the relevant replies from the 78 for sale thread to here.

Please continue the discussion here instead of his thread. I will add my two cents below.

Desertdawg

oops, I also lost Dean's comment here, but it wasn't important, something like "we need a price" .. Sorry Dean.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ted Y

• Eddie44

• Bigfoot

• MOTV8

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a price :toetap

Ok, I'll fix that too...by what's listed on Craigslist.

I could have done that. It was more a test to see if Mr 26 post is even checking back here or if he like so many others run up their post counts, post an ad with a cellphone number and forget it. If you can't tell I'm getting a little tired of this section. I think we should make it a requirement that you've been an ACE member for 6 mos before you can post here. Sorry, off my soapbox!

No worries Eddie...we know you're still burned up over the power outage too. :lol

Eddie should be familiar with living without power. He grew up with Benjamin Franklin.

No worries Eddie...we know you're still burned up over the power outage too. :lol

Eddie should be familiar with living without power. He grew up with Benjamin Franklin.

Ben kept coming to me to borrow money for experiments. I told him to go fly a f'n kite.

I think we should make it a requirement that you've been an ACE member for 6 mos before you can post here. Sorry, off my soapbox!

I could not agree more. With one stipulation, if an admin or moderator will stand for a person, then that would be the exception. Some folks attend events and become a contributing member in much less time, like 417 or FNBADAZ06. I believe that a mod or admin would have no issue allowing them an ad posting after being here for jut a few months.

I believe we need to do this, or increase the post limit along with the time frame and make it a whichever comes first scenario. 250 posts or 6 month, whichever comes first. That way Vic and Jay would have both had access to the ad section in two months anyway :lol

I think we should make it a requirement that you've been an ACE member for 6 mos before you can post here. Sorry, off my soapbox!

I could not agree more. With one stipulation, if an admin or moderator will stand for a person, then that would be the exception. Some folks attend events and become a contributing member in much less time, like 417 or FNBADAZ06. I believe that a mod or admin would have no issue allowing them an ad posting after being here for jut a few months.

I believe we need to do this, or increase the post limit along with the time frame and make it a whichever comes first scenario. 250 posts or 6 month, whichever comes first. That way Vic and Jay would have both had access to the ad section in two months anyway :lol

I know that I'm relatively new to this forum and how you run it really is none of my business, but you may want to put a further restriction on this section. That being that no dealerships or salesmen working for dealerships can use this site as a sales tool. In this particular case, the link he posted seemed to have a pic taken at a dealership, of course I could be wrong. Last month we had another new member post an add for a car he needed to sell to meet his monthly quota. I'd hate to see this forum turn into a new and used car site. Just my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

C4for2

your voice is just as important as everyone elses. If you contrubute, then you have a say. To reinforce your point, no one here want a car delearship using this place as a stomping ground.

One thing that we as mods have learned is to be conserative in our actons.

example;

I knew eddie was goating the poster to see if they are active or just 'spamming'. In another few days if there was no movement, this thread would be gone.

yes that picture is from a delearship, but perhaps the poster only has thoes digital files and no digital camera.

mty 2 cts

Eddie44; I dont know if the system is capable of a 'time' element before psoting.

We do have a rule against professional sales people using ACE as a sales outlet. I believe the ad regarding a sales quota was deleted the same day as it was posted. I don't have a problem with a six month or 50 post minimum. I will discus it with the other staff.

This may not fit idea-wise, but why can't we have a password set up, like the basement section? If a new member wants to POST in the for sale section they can request the password from a mod/admin, and if the mod/admin determines the member meets whatever time/club contribution/post count requirement we decide on the post will be allowed. It may stop the spammers posting 25 :howdy 's or :cool 's on the board just to get that sale ad up. :spam:gun3:

Final Effort

This may not fit idea-wise, but why can't we have a password set up, like the basement section? If a new member wants to POST in the for sale section they can request the password from a mod/admin, and if the mod/admin determines the member meets whatever time/club contribution/post count requirement we decide on the post will be allowed. It may stop the spammers posting 25 :howdy 's or :cool 's on the board just to get that sale ad up.

:spam:gun3:

I like this idea. :agree

Ok got the point

Yes the pick is at a dealership

and I am a salesman

But am getting ready to move to california

and this is my personel car and only reason I am selling it

is to raise the cash for my move.

THIS IS NOT PART OF A QUOTA

am sorry if I only have 27 post

I love this site and love corvettes

I just work alot of hours and am unable

to visit very often

so if anyone is interested in vette

please let me know.

I understand your plight however my complaint is you are selling your Vette and moving to California. I would bet a steak dinner if someone bought your Vette today we'd never hear from you again or see you at any ACE events in the future.

Hope you understand why we feel this is using the site for unintended purposes. At least you were willing to step up and admit/explain, so I will leave the ad up.

Good Luck with the sale and move!

I know that I'm relatively new to this forum and how you run it really is none of my business, but you may want to put a further restriction on this section. That being that no dealerships or salesmen working for dealerships can use this site as a sales tool. In this particular case, the link he posted seemed to have a pic taken at a dealership, of course I could be wrong. Last month we had another new member post an add for a car he needed to sell to meet his monthly quota. I'd hate to see this forum turn into a new and used car site. Just my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

Chad is absolutely correct C4for2.

In regards to the ad from that dealership looking to fill a quota, once I saw it I left the post, but removed any information to the ad as sort of a reminder that we do not allow those things here. So you are correct...we don't allow that stuff here. :lol

This particular ad did not contain any dealer information and based on current rules, was within guidelines.

Desertdawg

Changing the forum rules so that members have to comply with what ever blocks we put in place will also put more work load on the admin. I deal with several emails per month asking how can I list something, and while it's not something I have to do everyday, it's still enough extra crap that deleting the for sale sections has crossed my mind. I have in the past promoted several long standing, or active members to the 26 post group so they can list stuff, I use my best judgement when doing so. A 6 month or 50 or 250 post count rule will just escalate the email requests and work load trying to explain to members why they can't start a new thread here, and why they can't just go ahead and list it in the general... tech... off topic... just for fun.... sections, or even list their stuff in their profile... Yes it has happened just last week... 5 emails later they decided they didn't want to be a member anymore. I think the self monitoring that happens is good enough, there are usually enough admins or moderators online to control the problem.

ADMIN NOTE!!!

I moved all the relevant replies from the 78 for sale thread to here.

Please continue the discussion here instead of his thread. I will add my two cents below.

Desertdawg

oops, I also lost Dean's comment here, but it wasn't important, something like "we need a price" .. Sorry Dean.

Dammit Dawg, I really enjoyed my snappy "Mr. 26 posts" quip!

:lol

I believe the present setup works fairly well to keep the spammers off the site so it doesn't become a Craigslist. Props to Dawg an Crew for keepin the focus on enthusiasm instead of marketing :) -Frank -just my 2 copper

Here's my two cents. The current rule is 25 posts. If someone makes 25 posts to sell an item, they can. Does it change or somehow discourage them if we change it to 50? No, we've seen new members reach 50 posts in two days before. As long a member is not using the forum to sell cars from a car sales business for a living. I really have no problem with anyone selling their own personal car, no matter if they just joined. Is it really that big of an annoyance for someone to join and immediately sell their car? Don't you basically read the ad, decide you don't want it and never come back to the thread? The fact is, ACE is not a good place to sell your car. Nearly everyone on here already has one and we really don't sell our cars to other members. I don't know of a way to change it to a minimum time frame. I've gotten requests from members who don't post much to be able to sell something who have been members for years. I tell them 25 posts aren't had to do, just do it. Ted

Then I say we remove the 25 post requirement. It's interesting that two of you have received emails from newbies and I've never received a single one. I resent someone posting BS just so they can list their car. Then they put a phone number and we never see or hear from them again. If we remove the post requirement we wouldn't be cluttered with BS. We're not enforcing it anyway from the sound of it. All we'd have to enforce then would be no commercial sales.

I think the way it is set up should stay as is. I will try to use my best judgement in the future to stop people from posting ads who shouldn't.