Check your oil

Bromley's Corvettes

Bromley's Corvettes

Make shore you dont forget to check your oil on the classic vettes they leak and burn oil. Sometimes at a shocking rate lol. This oil is from a 81 with 149,997 miles on it. Ran pretty good right up into he ran it real low on oil. Looks like only about 2qts came out. His oil gauge was not working so he had no warning. I have had customers call and say why does my oil gauge drop to 0 when I turn a coner lol. I say put oil in it right now lol. Your so low its moving away from the pick up and starving the pump and its sucking air and killing your bearings. There like I just had the oil changed like 2k miles ago.

The best story I have ever heard about oil, or the lack thereof, was from the manager of a transmission shop a couple of year ago. He had a close friend that had divorced his wife 4 years earlier. Just before the divorce was final he bought his soon-to-be ex-wife a new Honda (I believe). Must have been a friendly divorce. Three years after the divorce his friend called up the manager and asked him to come along to his ex-wife's home since she could not get the car to start. His friend wanted him to come along and see if he could figure out what was wrong. When they got there they had to use a crow bar to get the hood even open. She had not opened the hood since the car was new over three years earlier. When they finally got it open you can imagine the condition of the engine. :facepalm:

I had a friend who bought his daughter a new Mazda when she went off to college in Neb. Before she left he briefed her on how to check the oil and how to change a tire, etc. Four years later she graduated and came back to AZ. Shortly after she got here the car started acting up and not running right. After tearing the motor down the mechanic called him up and asked that he ccome down to the shop When my buddy got there the Mechanic showed him a screwdriver standing straight up in the oil pan. The daughter hadn't changed the oil in four years. Needless to say it was worse than sludge.

Bromley's Corvettes

Ya sad way to lose a engine. Had customers lose rear ends from never changing the fuild. The C-3s have no drain plug on them only a fill plug in the side so you have to try and suck out the old lube and most guys just dont do it. I drill and tap it for 1/8-npt and then put a allen plug in so it sits flush its real clean that way and easy to change fuild from then on.

Quicksilver98

I knew a guy back in Pa. that never believed in changing his oil.....just added some when the light came on. Somehow the car made it over 100k miles but when it finally died they put it up on lift and pulled the oil drain plug and nothing came out. Sludge was so thick it couldnt even drain. Pulled the pan and it was like a tub of mud! The car was so trashed out by then they just took it to the crusher. Some people shouldn't own vehicles! Put em back on a horse! lol

Guest Sidewinder

Two first hand accounts. My buddy bought an old duster with a slant 6 for a second car from an old dude in Sun City some years ago. Seller said "She burns a little oil, so I just add some every now and then". My buddy got it home and changed the oil, eight and a half qts came out.

Female owned, 1998 Pewter C5 Corvette. Shade tree mechanic boyfriend decided to change the girls oil for her on valentines day. Boyfriend installs exactly 6.5 qts of SLICK 50. PTFE clogged the oil pickup screen and filter, spun two rod bearings.

Almost like Roya....Royal Pur....Pur. Still can't say it. :smilelol

Bromley's Corvettes

Poor 81 guy lost his job and now his vette his only car is dead. Hes in school and been looking for any job and no luck. If anyone knows of a job he needs to come up with about 5k for a new engine and restoring the whole engine compartment. I am hoping his car wont turn into a flower pot lol.

Bromley's Corvettes

81 guy took it to a DIY shop. He had no money for me to replace his engine but somehow he has the money to rent a bay at a DIY shop and pay for a rebuilt engine. The bay is only $20hr with a lift and some tools but hours will add up pretty fast and you have to pay storage over night. I am betting it will cost him as much as if he just had me do it. Cool deal for the shop when someone gets in over there head and hours add up and they get stuck on something they will help you finish it lol. I can see how it would sound like a good deal to a guy wanting to save money by doing the labor him self.

Two first hand accounts. My buddy bought an old duster with a slant 6 for a second car from an old dude in Sun City some years ago. Seller said "She burns a little oil, so I just add some every now and then". My buddy got it home and changed the oil, eight and a half qts came out.

Female owned, 1998 Pewter C5 Corvette. Shade tree mechanic boyfriend decided to change the girls oil for her on valentines day. Boyfriend installs exactly 6.5 qts of SLICK 50. PTFE clogged the oil pickup screen and filter, spun two rod bearings.

Almost like Roya....Royal Pur....Pur. Still can't say it. :smilelol

:funnypost:

I know what you meant...Roy, Roya...I can't either. :smilelol

Bromley's Corvettes

He was not running Royal Purple he had a lube shop change it once and awhile so it would of had 10w40 bulk oil in it. Any oil would have been better then nothing lol.