Emissions testing and Collectible car waiver

C4orce2

Just some FYI. Go to www.servicearizona.com and register your vette there online. You will have the option of registering the vehicle up north where there are no emissions and you can still keep your mailing address the same so you will recieve your new tags at your house here in the Phx Metro area. This will eliminate all of your emission issues and allow you to enjoy your car. I hope this info helps you all out.

Well I'm not sure it is quite that simple. I was told that if you want to register it outside Maricopa County you need to prove that you reside at the address you show for registration. One item of proof they require is a bill from the utility provider in that area showing you as the customer on that account at that location. I've been told that it is not as easy as it used to be to register a car in a county where you do not reside. Just make sure you know about all the requirements before you go down that path.

I've heard another problem is if its registered and insured at an address outside of Maricopa County and you make a claim some companies have denied claims based on false information.

Oddly enough this got me to thinking if my new home will be emissions exempt. Looked it up and apparently I am right at the line, cool lol. :partydance:

Just some FYI. Go to www.servicearizona.com and register your vette there online. You will have the option of registering the vehicle up north where there are no emissions and you can still keep your mailing address the same so you will recieve your new tags at your house here in the Phx Metro area. This will eliminate all of your emission issues and allow you to enjoy your car. I hope this info helps you all out.

Well I'm not sure it is quite that simple. I was told that if you want to register it outside Maricopa County you need to prove that you reside at the address you show for registration. One item of proof they require is a bill from the utility provider in that area showing you as the customer on that account at that location. I've been told that it is not as easy as it used to be to register a car in a county where you do not reside. Just make sure you know about all the requirements before you go down that path.

It seems that if you have to make a claim and the rip off insurance company figures out what you did, they can get you for defrauding them.

• 3 months later...

does anyone know about california? i have to get emmisions test to get a decal so i can get on base from what i have heard its 75 and older however mine is a 78. so does anyone know if this trick would work to pass california smog test?

chevyguy1969

does anyone know about california? i have to get emmisions test to get a decal so i can get on base from what i have heard its 75 and older however mine is a 78. so does anyone know if this trick would work to pass california smog test?

Check with California DMV most of the time if you claim a diffrent state as your residence then you can tag the car with your home state tags. This however may not exempt you from local emission test. A good resorce of information would be the base leagal office that you are going to be stationed on. They will know all the state and more importantly the county laws as they will apply to your sitution. Welcome back to the states and good luck.

Also if you set the car up with collector car insurance make it is coded in the state's system. This will help you avoid alot of confusion down the road when renewal comes around.

We're with Hagerty as well ..... only one other car for the two of us .... no issues .... (( this for the 82 CFI)) .... value at $20k ... cost is just over $400 annually.

on yeah ... NO emissions !!! :partydance:

Hey Hal, I checked today with Hagerty and mine was $476 a year. Did you tell them yours was modified? Mine is due this month with a roller test which I can pass with a quick tune swap that I made, but I really want to remove both my cats and redo my entire exhaust from the collectors back. It would be nice to not have to pass the smog Nazi's test ever again. :partydance: I'll be back on the 18th of next month, I'll get with you then to see what you've done to yours while I was gone. :thumbs

As I recall, there was just basic info required .... including engine set up ......

Haven't done much short of an occasional tune adjustment ..... next week doing some thread inserts on the intake lid due to stripped threads ..... probably just the studs where throttle controls connect .... ((sorry for the hijack))

Getting set up with Haggerty was actually pretty simple .... no miles restriction lll just no driving to work ((( who works anyways))) Posted Image

• 9 months later...

seein's how this thread has been dead for awhile - I thought I would inject some new life into it...

I got a quote from Hagery's for around $370 a year, as pleasure use only. I expect to be back on the road (legally, gotta keep the battery charged - right?) on or around Dec. 1, when I cash in my vacation overage hours.

now, who should I visit first....

LPM

or

Classic Gold?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................ :nerd:

• 2 months later...

A little later than planned, but after an entirely too long trip to MVD, it is official - she's a Collector Classic Car. Hagertys was best deal I could find. Was real nice driving her to work today.

post-216-0-38357400-1391626020_thumb.jpg

Bromley's Corvettes

Right on now you can change cam and exhaust and make some noise lol. Its cool to be able to do anything you want to the engine and not worry how you will pass smog:)

Right on now you can change cam and exhaust and make some noise lol. Its cool to be able to do anything you want to the engine and not worry how you will pass smog:)

under consideration:

intake manifold

roller rocker arms

cam (mild)

exhaust and headers are not on the list - because I already have the best...

Corsa rules on C4's!

...and shinny too!

Bromley's Corvettes

under consideration: intake manifold roller rocker arms cam (mild) exhaust and headers are not on the list - because I already have the best... Corsa rules on C4's! ...and shinny too!

Cool what intake and brand of rockers and what cam specs. Are you going roller cam? You getting rid of cats?

under consideration: intake manifold roller rocker arms cam (mild) exhaust and headers are not on the list - because I already have the best... Corsa rules on C4's! ...and shinny too!
Cool what intake and brand of rockers and what cam specs. Are you going roller cam? You getting rid of cats?
At this point, the only thing certain - get rid of the cats'. She sounds awesome without em'. I like what I have heard about the mini ram intake. Roller rockers...dunno. Cam...dunno. I'm open to suggestions and defer to those with recommendations backed by experience. Don't want a Monster - just a peppy upgrade that is reliable and not dependent on a bunch of minor mod's to make it all work...think plug n play. I would like to get rid of some of the smog/emission crap, but don't want a bunch of shit that just gets cut off and left hangin'. I know another a/c compressor (Sanden) or similar would also be a big improvement. But that too would probably find me trying to chase down crazy strange parts or fab them...and my machine skills are limited by both the tools and advanced training.

At this point, the only thing certain - get rid of the cats'. She sounds awesome without em'. I like what I have heard about the mini ram intake. Roller rockers...dunno. Cam...dunno. I'm open to suggestions and defer to those with recommendations backed by experience. Don't want a Monster - just a peppy upgrade that is reliable and not dependent on a bunch of minor mod's to make it all work...think plug n play. I would like to get rid of some of the smog/emission crap, but don't want a bunch of shit that just gets cut off and left hangin'. I know another a/c compressor (Sanden) or similar would also be a big improvement. But that too would probably find me trying to chase down crazy strange parts or fab them...and my machine skills are limited by both the tools and advanced training.

What about the tune? Who's doing that?

What about the tune? Who's doing that?
If that is an offer, you're resume goes to the top of the list!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bromley's Corvettes

Not a problem for most vette owners. Even if it was higher still worth it to me to not have to deal with smog test bs. 

A little later than planned, but after an entirely too long trip to MVD, it is official - she's a Collector Classic Car. Hagertys was best deal I could find. Was real nice driving her to work today.

Michael, does Hagerty allow you to drive the car to work as a DD with classic insurance?

Michael, does Hagerty allow you to drive the car to work as a DD with classic insurance?

limited to 3000 miles per year. Civic is my DD now...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2004 and all I did was get collector car insurance through The National Corvette Museum. It doesn't need to be a classic to qualify. I pay about 400 a year I can only drive it 6000 miles a year but I don't have to go do emmissions ever again. I'm one happy camper. All I had to do was show them my insurance information and that was it. I know this because my wife is a supervisor at MVD. 

• 5 years later...

Any new rules here to consider?

I live in Tucson where we must emissions test.  I have a '73 that likely won't pass the test, depending on what they check.  Do they do a sniffer?  My car has dual sidepipes, no cats, etc.

IIRC, the only "emissions" equipment on my car when new was an EGR and PCV.  If I have those on there, will it pass do you think?

My conundrum is that I want a custom Veteran plate, but can only get that if emissions passes.  Or I can get a historic plate (a buddy of mine actually still has a '73 plate he will give me!) which I could also use, then not worry about emissions at all.

Any advice or words of wisdom?  😄

Paul