Emissions testing and Collectible car waiver

C4orce2

This is a perfect topic for this new section since the problem of emmissions testing only effects C4s and older vettes. As you all know my C4 is highly modified with a new LS3 hot cam GM crate engine. My registration renewal was coming up this July and checking it out on the website it looked like I was going to need an emissions test. I was not sure if my car would be tested as a '92 or treated like a new car due to the LS3. I found out it would be tested like a '92 and get the sniff test. Due to the cam I decided to go ahead and run it thru early in case there were any problems. Glad I did since it failed badly. The cam puts so much raw fuel in the exhaust that my mini cats can not burn it off, especially since they are apparently located too far away from the engine to heat up properly. Luckily, one of our ACE members suggested I look into ADEQ's collectible car examption, a program I was not aware of. Here's how it works. If your car is at least 15 years old and it is insured with a collectible car insurance company, and that company either limits the miles you can put on the car each year or limits the use of the car (ie only for club purposes, shows, etc., and you have a daily driver), then your car qualifies for the exemption. When your insurance company sends in their electronic insurance verification to DMV, as long as they have coded your policy correctly, your car will never need to be emission tested. In my case, Grundy had not properly coded my coverage when they sent it in to DMV so the emissions test was required. I simply got Grundy to correct the coding and the requirement disappeared and I was able to renew the registration without a test. If any of you, especially the C4 owners, do any serious modifications to your cars (espeically cams), you may run into the same problem and you should take advantage of this exemption. Just thought I'd pass my experience on in case some of you were not be aware of this program.

I think this is often overlooked info so I have pinned it. That way folks won't have to go searching for it.

Bromley's Corvettes

Most of my C-3 customers have been doing it for years. Its really nice because we can do anything we want with headers and exhaust and cams and not have to worry about it passing emisions. It use to be a real pain I have had customers with cars that where stock with new carb and dist and plugs and wires and filters and cats and still fail lol. They want the car to run better and cleaner then it did new. Pretty hard to do with spending a lot of money. Now they can put the money into up grades to make the car more fun to drive :yesnod

Norse Pagan

I found out about this a few months ago. My 76 bronco was just sitting in the garage 'cause it was too much of a pain in the a-- to get it to pass emissions. My buddy told me about it and two days later my bronco was back on the road :) A side benefit is that it's super cheap. I went through the classic car insurance section of geico, and I think I only pay around $8 per month :partygrnhat:

Awesome info, thanks for sharin!

Soo .. in 2012 I will be able to stuff an L-88 into my 1997 C-5, kinda like this Photoshop concept :)

Posted Image

.. I may need to put bigger tires in back.

..an stuff :)

-Frank

Bromley's Corvettes

I thought everyone knew about this years ago lol. Emissions is a thing of the past for us Classic guys. :yesnod

I thought everyone knew about this years ago lol. Emissions is a thing of the past for us Classic guys. :yesnod

Well .. altho I graduated high school here in Phx, been gone a long time.

The career I chased meant apartments and lots of moves over the years.

Had no 'place' for a nice car or time to indulge in the fun for far too long.

Heck I sold my last project car after runnin brackets in SoCal with it from '76-'91 .. in 1993. (sheesh, was it *that* long ago!?)

It was CARB legal as a '71 Duster due to Chrysler being exempt from smog req's for that year (ran a tunnel-ram 440 in it.. license plates an all)

Now..it's lookin good for an actual 'garage' to play in by end of next summer, I may even air condition it :D

I wrote out a 5-year plan for this lil C-5 .. lookin very much forward to makin some noise an burnin some tires now an then :)

I have a lot of catchin up to do.

-Frank

"Emissions is a thing of the past for us Classic guys" Doug, I assume you are talking about our cars here and not the drivers? :willy

Bromley's Corvettes

LOL yes talking about the cars. We dont need emissions anymore so now we can mod the crap out of them if we want :3gears:

LOL yes talking about the cars. We dont need emissions anymore so now we can mod the crap out of them if we want :3gears:

Just wanted to clarify your statement since I know that at least in my case I personally have severe emissions problems from time to time! :facepalm:

I agree. old but useful news.

BTW, imaginary has been exempt for about 8 years now. The MOPAR has been on it too. The best part is that it's cheap....

F22trainer

...so what's the correct code? Mine is due next month I think and I always have a bitch of a time gettin' thru emissions...

...so what's the correct code?

Mine is due next month I think and I always have a bitch of a time gettin' thru emissions...

As I understand it, your insurance company should have a code that ties into the AZ requirements. In other words, the code states that the policy meets the "collectible car" requirements for AZ. When I explained the situation to Grundy and they explained it to the actual insurance company (Grundy is an agent), they knew exactly what I was talking about. Hopefully your company will also. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

One other idea, if your renewal is due next month, go to the DMV website and try to renew your registration on line. If an emissions test is requried, it will not let you complete the renewal. If that happens, call your insurance company and get it straightened out. Once my company sent in the right code, I was able to complete the renewal process on line the same day.

Mine is due this month as well. But I will have to wait for a couple more years since I'm not a Classic guy yet......Good info though. Thanks for sharing.

anmracing2

Mine is due next month I think and I always have a bitch of a time gettin' thru emissions...

As I understand it, your insurance company should have a code that ties into the AZ requirements. In other words, the code states that the policy meets the "collectible car" requirements for AZ. When I explained the situation to Grundy and they explained it to the actual insurance company (Grundy is an agent), they knew exactly what I was talking about. Hopefully your company will also. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

One other idea, if your renewal is due next month, go to the DMV website and try to renew your registration on line. If an emissions test is requried, it will not let you complete the renewal. If that happens, call your insurance company and get it straightened out. Once my company sent in the right code, I was able to complete the renewal process on line the same day.

Some of these Collector insurance programs specify that the car is NOT a daily driver, parked in a garage at all times and only used for shows and/or a parade... So make sure to read the fine print before signing the dotted line.........

Some of these Collector insurance programs specify that the car is NOT a daily driver, parked in a garage at all times and only used for shows and/or a parade... So make sure to read the fine print before signing the dotted line.........

Yeah, I'm thinking Andrew is right about that, unless you have another vehicle insured that you can claim as a DD then you might be hosed. The only reason I have the rate and policy I have on my C5 is that I have my truck as my primary driver and the C5 is listed as "recreational"

That is correct. Grundy, for example, insists on all of the above. However, as long as you use it for show, club events, parades, etc., they do not care if you put 100,000 miles a year on the car. You need to prove that you and your wife both have other cars to drive (ie 2 people in your household, 3 car minimum including the vette). I drive my car to a lot of long distance shows so the absence of any mileage limitation is important to me.

Hagerty is the same. I have the 66 insured with them. They only restrictions are that you have other cars and that it's garaged when no in use for shows, club events, etc. I think most are state value as well. I was surprised when I didn't have to have an appraisal to support the stated value.

Hagerty is the same. I have the 66 insured with them. They only restrictions are that you have other cars and that it's garaged when no in use for shows, club events, etc. I think most are state value as well. I was surprised when I didn't have to have an appraisal to support the stated value.

I agree Eddie. I was surprised when Grundy did not insist upon an appraisal when I increased the stated value on my old C4 to $50,000. They probably just wanted the premium!

• 2 months later...
supercharged88

ok whats the milage a year like? since i drive 52miles each way to work.. i would like to be able to drive it there often. if possible.. but if the miles are low then i wont be able to have fun at all

wow i just did a quote and 2296 dollars a year to insure wholy damn crap...... anyone else near this ammount?

Who did you get the quote from? I'm with Grundy and have my modded '92 insured for a stated value of $50K with full coverage otherwise. My premium is just over $600/year. I assume your car is not your daily driver otherwise Grundy will not insure it, I believe. Grundy does not have a maximum annual mileage limitation, only use limitations such as using it only for club events, not as a daily driver. You have to show that, for example, you and your wife have two other cars to use. Good luck.