Emissions testing and Collectible car waiver

C4orce2

We're with Hagerty as well ..... only one other car for the two of us .... no issues .... (( this for the 82 CFI)) .... value at $20k ... cost is just over $400 annually. on yeah ... NO emissions !!! :partydance:

$387.95 per year, 5000 mi. $10K value...

IF I had a second registered and insured vehicle and a fully enclosed garage!

and speaking of emissions - I failed again... looks like it's back to see Doug for another set of cats' and O2 sensor! every 2 years it's the same crap! Maybe I can get thru in less than 5 trips this time :facepalm:

Are you running teh OE style big-body cats Michael?

Negative - hi-flow bullet type. It's the only thing that fits with the Corsa system and auto trans.

Negative - hi-flow bullet type. It's the only thing that fits with the Corsa system and auto trans.

Hmmm.......I had teh same, and flew through with no issues, even with bigger injectors (not that that changes much). Teh only thing I can guess at, is that aren't hot enough when you test to burn completely...

Hmmm.......I had teh same, and flew through with no issues, even with bigger injectors (not that that changes much). Teh only thing I can guess at, is that aren't hot enough when you test to burn completely...

That's what Classic found...no EGR doesn't help either.

Been doing that...ops temp was about 215. I'm still fighting a coolant issue but I don't see any smoke during start up or on a blast down the freeway. I have to add about 1/2 gallon evry 2 weeks. On a long drive down the freeway my temps are 160 or below and it will stay ther until I get off the freeway...then after about 4 miles of stop / go traffic, temps will shoot up to sometimes 255. Most of the time it comes down real quick when I turn on the heater but not always, it blows coolant out of the bottle so I have to wait for it to cool down, and put in more coolant. Most of the time I only drive 5 miles to work so temp never gets above 180 or so...fans are working T-stat is good...I dunno. I also see the upper hose sometimes has a lot of pressure. WTF? No leaks anywhere only a small residue at low coolant sensor and heater valve.

Just out of curiosity....do you still have that little "steam tube" connected back by your distributor?

do you mean the 1/4" line that goes from the heater valve and goes over by the distributer and the EGR that's blocked off?

the answer is yes...

am I about to learn something new?

Just out of curiosity....do you still have that little "steam tube" connected back by your distributor?

do you mean the 1/4" line that goes from the heater valve and goes over by the distributer and the EGR that's blocked off?

the answer is yes...

am I about to learn something new?

No....I was hoping you would say that it's blocked off, and I would have a potential answer for you...

How is your radiator? Have you done any mods to make your fans come on earlier (fan switch, in teh PROM, PROM adapter, etc? ) My 89 used to run warmer than I would like, even though still within parameters, until I dropped

to a 160 stat, and had TPI Parts make me a PROM adapter to turn both fans on at 180, off at 170, and ran teh RedLine

Water Wetter....it never again ran above 190. Just sayin....

DeWitts aftermarket radiator, 160 T-stat, 180 on for fans....even added the B4P front fan. Rad cap is new and factory spec. I should probably take it out and claean between it and the condensor. it's just weird...and a pain in my AZZ!

Hmmmmm......weren't you going through head/head gasket issues? I wonder if you have some sort of block issue? Have you tried teh block test dye (Lisle P/N: 75500 for teh tester and fluid. I have also heard stories that teh DeWitts is actually too much radiator for teh stock fans (fins too close together), but I don\t know about that, seems like BS to me.

supercharged88

ok called hagerty.. now i got the quote down to 1300 a year.. all due up front.. put car value way below what its worth to get it that low.. at only 15k.. and now they say they cant insure me because im only 25.. wth... i really dont get that. but ok.. ill be going to the next insurance company yall have been talking about.

Bromley's Corvettes

F22 that was fun maybe you can weld the O2 sensor to the bung next time to make it a little harder to remove lol. Posted Image

I had a great time too Doug... cooling system overhaul parts ordered - pump, all hoses and gaskets, t-stat...and a hi fan relay (got no HI fan right now). Wrenching party next week when parts arrive...yippeecayyeahh still not sure about head / intake issues 'shifter...but did see a very small seepage - but not wet or even green just a slight discolor at head gasket. I may have to buy another vehicle soon........ :bang:willy:banghead:banghead:banghead hell I might have to start another thread.. :hijack:

I had a great time too Doug...

cooling system overhaul parts ordered - pump, all hoses and gaskets, t-stat...and a hi fan relay (got no HI fan right now). Wrenching party next week

when parts arrive...yippeecayyeahh

still not sure about head / intake issues 'shifter...but did see a very small seepage - but not wet or even green just a slight discolor at head gasket.

I may have to buy another vehicle soon........ :bang:willy:banghead:banghead:banghead

hell I might have to start another thread.. :hijack:

http://www.arizonacorvetteenthusiasts.net/arizonavette/forums/index.php?showtopic=18718

:thumbs

• 1 year later...
Guest PURPLE95

This is a perfect topic for this new section since the problem of emmissions testing only effects C4s and older vettes. As you all know my C4 is highly modified with a new LS3 hot cam GM crate engine. My registration renewal was coming up this July and checking it out on the website it looked like I was going to need an emissions test. I was not sure if my car would be tested as a '92 or treated like a new car due to the LS3. I found out it would be tested like a '92 and get the sniff test. Due to the cam I decided to go ahead and run it thru early in case there were any problems. Glad I did since it failed badly. The cam puts so much raw fuel in the exhaust that my mini cats can not burn it off, especially since they are apparently located too far away from the engine to heat up properly.

Luckily, one of our ACE members suggested I look into ADEQ's collectible car examption, a program I was not aware of. Here's how it works. If your car is at least 15 years old and it is insured with a collectible car insurance company, and that company either limits the miles you can put on the car each year or limits the use of the car (ie only for club purposes, shows, etc., and you have a daily driver), then your car qualifies for the exemption. When your insurance company sends in their electronic insurance verification to DMV, as long as they have coded your policy correctly, your car will never need to be emission tested. In my case, Grundy had not properly coded my coverage when they sent it in to DMV so the emissions test was required. I simply got Grundy to correct the coding and the requirement disappeared and I was able to renew the registration without a test.

If any of you, especially the C4 owners, do any serious modifications to your cars (espeically cams), you may run into the same problem and you should take advantage of this exemption. Just thought I'd pass my experience on in case some of you were not be aware of this program.

Guest PURPLE95

Just some FYI. Go to www.servicearizona.com and register your vette there online. You will have the option of registering the vehicle up north where there are no emissions and you can still keep your mailing address the same so you will recieve your new tags at your house here in the Phx Metro area. This will eliminate all of your emission issues and allow you to enjoy your car. I hope this info helps you all out.