New / Old Seats for the C3

LastC3

Soon to be installed in the C3 .... oh yeah ... the 3M carbon fiber arrived today as well .... time for some interior work .... :partydance:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LastC3

• F22trainer

• Desertdawg

• Bromley's Corvettes

let us know when your going to do that Hal. I think you should use one of our members a/c'd garages So I can watch. er...only so my beer don't get hot. :lol

Sounds like some fun. Keep us posted on how everything goes - with pics would be good to.

Soon to be installed in the C3 .... oh yeah ... the 3M carbon fiber arrived today as well .... time for some interior work .... :partydance:

Awesome Hal. I was going to do something like that as well, just didn't though. Dwayne installed C5 seats in his 82 as well. I think, but not sure you will lose the power seat by swapping...again, not sure about that though. I'll get with you the next time I'm back and see how that went.

Bromley's Corvettes

How much did you pay for the seats? I have a customer with a 82 that wants to do that same swap but with red seats. I told him might be hard to find a deal on red but maybe get a deal on some black ones and have them done in red.

Had been thinking about this for some time ... but after talking with Dwayne .... tipped the scale to get er done .... both sides are power ... and the manual shows already wiring already there ... probably just need power and ground .... and connectors .... totally stoked about getting them done .... need to get the carpet sets ordered and my batt/storage doors .... so it'll be a minute till we begin the project ... Doug .... have seen a few on ebay .... and some red as well .... tuff to find locally ... just got lucky ... price tags are all over the map ...

Yeah I put C5 seats in my 82, and still had the drivers electrics working. The set I bought from Tanya didn't have a power passenger seat. But if the C5 seats have motors all you have to do is run power to the passenger side to run them. The biggest advantage to the upgrade is you use the C5 motors and controls, the C3 stuff is weak anyway. I put a little extra work into lowering the mounting brackets and was able to still wear a hat under the T tops...

Yeah I put C5 seats in my 82, and still had the drivers electrics working. The set I bought from Tanya didn't have a power passenger seat. But if the C5 seats have motors all you have to do is run power to the passenger side to run them.

The biggest advantage to the upgrade is you use the C5 motors and controls, the C3 stuff is weak anyway.

I put a little extra work into lowering the mounting brackets and was able to still wear a hat under the T tops...

Dwayne, are you saying that the electrical connection (connector) for the C3 to C5 seat is the same and it plugs right in with no modding? Also, what did you mod on the mount...did you cut it down?

No, the connectors did not match, but it was a simple cut off the old connectors and splice the wires together. Of course if you really wanted it custom you can dissemble the connectors and crimp on new pins to match then it will still be removable. The mounting. You strip all the C5 stuff off to the aluminum base plate that the foam and wires are attached to, then drill new holes in it to match the C3 brackets that bolt to the floor. It sat maybe 1/2 an inch higher.

Remember...

The 82 floor pan is different from side to side for a couple of reasons.

The catalytic converter is under the passenger seat, and the driver side was a power seat, so the floor pans are a different heights.

Your best bet to get the seats equal would be to mount the new seats you have on to the original sliders, if you remove them from the stock seats you can see the difference in them. There was one guy on the old CF that actually cut out the floor pans and modified them to sit way lower, he was 6'7" and after the mod, he was able to sit without bumping his head on the T Tops.

Here was my 82 with C5 seats...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got it, thanks. I forgot exactly what you had to do for that install.

Had been thinking about this for some time ... but after talking with Dwayne .... tipped the scale to get er done .... both sides are power ... and the manual shows already wiring already there ... probably just need power and ground .... and connectors .... totally stoked about getting them done .... need to get the carpet sets ordered and my batt/storage doors .... so it'll be a minute till we begin the project ...

Doug .... have seen a few on ebay .... and some red as well .... tuff to find locally ... just got lucky ... price tags are all over the map ...

Shucks, I was hoping you were going to pass on the power. My drivers seat track took a dump and no longer goes back. I dont do electric so dont know if it is the motor or the switch. Am hunting for a drivers power seat track and assembly. :rolf

• 1 year later...

So who knew this project was going to get put off this long .... what with a whole new engine rebuild and all .... finally found the time to work on this some ....

So Got the passenger seat out ... and cleaned up surrounding area and removed carpeted side panels from the console

Posted Image

Picked up new side panels and wrapped them in carbon fiber 3M ......

Posted Image

Began the task of removing the C5 seat rails and electronics ... would be so cool to leave them .... but they'll set way to high in the car ....

Posted Image

Next comes the removal of the C3 seat rails ......

Posted Image

We'll clean them up ... lub em and shoot a light coat of paint .....

Posted Image

Measure and mark for new holes in the C5 seat frame ...... thx Dawg for all your help in this area ....

Posted Image

And mount the C3 Rails ......

Posted Image

Time for a test fit .....

Posted Image

Am putting a different stereo in, so as soon as that's completed we can do a final install ...... then off to the driver's side ....

hopefully in the next couple of days ...... get's pretty hot in the ole garage long about noon time .... :partydance::partydance:

I want to see those side panels. Those should pretty cool with the black seats.

Azmotorhead

Hal. Do you still have all the elec stuff that came off the C5 seats? I'll buy it from you if you still do

Hal. Do you still have all the elec stuff that came off the C5 seats?

I'll buy it from you if you still do

yes I do ..... both sides seat rails and electronics .... both side were the same .... 6way I believe and memory ..... I really good condition .... needs harness from the seat to the controls on the passenger side .......

I left the controls on the seats .... so they're not available ....

shoot me a PM

Back at the C3 today ... got the driver's seats taken apart and ready to mount rails ..... still have to clean driver's side carpet and console areas .... way dirty in there fer sure ...

Did a little Dremmel work on the shifter plate .....

Posted Image

and sorted out the wiring requirement for the stereo ..... Picked up an Alpine from someone here on the forum ...

Posted Image

tonite I'll get the console wrapped ... and spend tomorrow morning getting everything cleaned and ready for install ....

Posted Image

Will update as i start back together ..l.l.

Some headway today ..... wiring completed for the stereo .....

Posted Image

Blanks done where C5 seat controls used to be ......

Posted Image

And console covered ....... will probably be not to bad at this by the time I get done .....

Posted Image

That should be it for now with the CF stuff ..... but ya never know .....

Posted Image

Tomorrow's another day ..... may decide to get the carpet done while its apart ...... we'll see ...... still have to do a real clean on the seats .... they've been sitting in the garage for a while ..... so some good leather cleaner should do the trick before we drop em in ...... more soon .......... :))