Cat-less and emission testing in AZ

FNBADAZ06

Larry; When your time comes they are going to be complete dumb asses. All they know is what is in the book and the book says

your car has no plug. Good Luck.

It might be time to call it a collector to avoid the hassle.

Well I got lucky thanks solely to you. I took C4orce2 and ran it through the emissions test last week, about 6 weeks before I had to renew the registration, just to see if it would pass. It failed badly. I showed the results to my tuner and he said it failed due to the cam, the size of my mini cats and the location of the mini cats. I guess this hot cam of course dumps a lot of fuel into the exhaust and the cats are supposed to handle that problem. But my cats are too small and located too far away from the engine.

So I went through the process of getting my car deemed "collectible" under AZ law. The Grundy policy I have does have use restrictions but no mileage limits. The use restrictions in the policy and the fact that my car if over 15 years old, qualified it as "collectible" without any mileage restrictions. When the insurance companies verify coverage automatically to DMV they put a code on the type of coverage. I had no idea this program even existed and my insurance company had not properly coded the coverage until I got them to correct it. My company had not put the correct code in and that's why I would have been stuck with an emissions test. So I dodged this bullet and got the registration renewed ahead of time. Thanks for your great suggestion.

When I bought my car 2 years ago, I registered it as "collectable" and avoided the emissions test. It is a 87 and insured through Hagerty. This year when my plates came due, I was able to buy 5 years of registration for $60.00. :partydance:

Larry; When your time comes they are going to be complete dumb asses. All they know is what is in the book and the book says

your car has no plug. Good Luck.

It might be time to call it a collector to avoid the hassle.

Well I got lucky thanks solely to you. I took C4orce2 and ran it through the emissions test last week, about 6 weeks before I had to renew the registration, just to see if it would pass. It failed badly. I showed the results to my tuner and he said it failed due to the cam, the size of my mini cats and the location of the mini cats. I guess this hot cam of course dumps a lot of fuel into the exhaust and the cats are supposed to handle that problem. But my cats are too small and located too far away from the engine.

So I went through the process of getting my car deemed "collectible" under AZ law. The Grundy policy I have does have use restrictions but no mileage limits. The use restrictions in the policy and the fact that my car if over 15 years old, qualified it as "collectible" without any mileage restrictions. When the insurance companies verify coverage automatically to DMV they put a code on the type of coverage. I had no idea this program even existed and my insurance company had not properly coded the coverage until I got them to correct it. My company had not put the correct code in and that's why I would have been stuck with an emissions test. So I dodged this bullet and got the registration renewed ahead of time. Thanks for your great suggestion.

When I bought my car 2 years ago, I registered it as "collectable" and avoided the emissions test. It is a 87 and insured through Hagerty. This year when my plates came due, I was able to buy 5 years of registration for $60.00. :partydance:

Yeah, that's great. I'm sure some of our members who pay hundreds if not over a $1,000 for their registration cannot believe what we pay for our C4s. Mine is a '92 and its insured with Grundy for a stated value of $50,000. The one year registration renewal I just paid was $85, and that included the $50 I pay for having an Arizona DBacks plate. Cannot get any better than this, a C4 with a LS3 hot cam for a base renewal fee of $35/year. :banannarainbow:

Why not be safe and go for the Hi-Flow cats, apparently that they only drop 3-5 HP at the wheel, I considered going catless when I got my LG Superpros, but for the extra $300 I get the option to go both ways.

Why not be safe and go for the Hi-Flow cats, apparently that they only drop 3-5 HP at the wheel, I considered going catless when I got my LG Superpros, but for the extra $300 I get the option to go both ways.

Because I save myself that $300. With my LG Streets, I still have the option if something were to happen I could just pull that section out and put them in. :thumbs

• 9 years later...

I'm looking to register my WS6 in Arizona I have TSP long tube headers and catted Y-pipe.  Currently I have a thrown code but am going to get it deleted you think will still pass

Depends what the code is. Might require so many drive cycles to clear. Looks like you have a catted x pipe so maybe a cat went bad.? 
Maybe get the code read at auto parts store and go from there.

Also welcome to the forum.

On 2/2/2021 at 11:53 AM, TheCMSH said:

This thread is so old, even Bigfeets and Larry are in it!!  :lol 

Old but good, don't hate. . . :lol