Cat-less and emission testing in AZ

FNBADAZ06

I'll be installing my longtubes with my existing ZR1 x-pipe which means I'll be cat-less with this combo. My car, being a '06, will probably be going thru emission testing this month as it's 5 model years old now. I'll do the emission testing prior to the header install, but I'm interested in hearing if anyone with headers has had a visual inspection done at the testing center to confirm you had catts installed. I can always add the catted x-pipe to the car at a later date but just interested to hear other's experiences with emission testing with headers.

You should be good to go, never heard of anyone getting a visual inspection for cats. I could be wrong, but I think Drew even got his old C5 thru with no problems even tho it was spewing fuel straight out the pipes!

No visual. They do a gas cap test & plug in looking for thrown codes. You will be good to go :thumbs

Thanks guys....good to know. I can purchase the catted x-pipe in stainless to match the headers from B&B if need be, but I'll take it thru the emission process on the stock system and then have two years to worry about it :rockon2:

Final Effort

A guy at work had his Duramax in for stink check and they looked for CATS on his truck.

A guy at work had his Duramax in for stink check and they looked for CATS on his truck.

Sounds like the testing centers are not very consistent when it comes to doing visuals. :facepalm:

Sounds like the testing centers are not very consistent when it comes to doing visuals. :facepalm:

Trucks, specifically diesel trucks, have a different line. I assume that's due to different checks.

Believe me, w/ a 99 I've been through it many times. They will not visually check anything.

I'm not trying to hijack Victor's thread but I have a related question. Since I now have a LS3 instead of the LT1, I assume when I go through the inspection this summer, they will simply plug in a look at the codes vs. doing the inspection that would normally be done on a '92. Does anyone know if I'm correct? :willy

No visual. They do a gas cap test & plug in looking for thrown codes. You will be good to go :thumbs

:agree same for me last time through

I cant remember the last time one of my cars had cats. You heard/seen my car right? Passed with flying colors. Dont even have EGR/EVAP etc lol.

Final Effort

Larry; When your time comes they are going to be complete dumb asses. All they know is what is in the book and the book says your car has no plug. Good Luck. It might be time to call it a collector to avoid the hassle.

Larry; When your time comes they are going to be complete dumb asses. All they know is what is in the book and the book says

your car has no plug. Good Luck.

It might be time to call it a collector to avoid the hassle.

Thanks, I'll let you know what happens.

Been catless for years...never had an issue. I think we are too low for a visual anyway.

Think I read awhile ago that the actual 'law' reads that whatever latest year (engine or car) has to meet the requirements. ie: if you put a '69 302 in a C5, it would have to meet the C5 requirements. There are exceptions. ie: All 1971 Chrysler products are exempt, but they do have to have a PCV valve, f'rinstance .. that's how I was able to run a 440 tunnel ram motor in my '71 Duster and yes .. it was 'street legal' ..when I had the mufflers an street tires on it :) It also very much depends on the guys you deal with ..some know the laws, most dont. -Frank

Is it worth while to have the rear O2 bungs welded into my cat-less x-pipe so that the rear O2's can be re-installed to satisfy the ECM, and not have them turned off in the tune ?

Is it worth while to have the rear O2 bungs welded into my cat-less x-pipe so that the rear O2's can be re-installed to satisfy the ECM, and not have them turned off in the tune ?

They will still need to be turned off so what's it matter?

They will be pissed otherwise lol.

Larry; When your time comes they are going to be complete dumb asses. All they know is what is in the book and the book says

your car has no plug. Good Luck.

It might be time to call it a collector to avoid the hassle.

Well I got lucky thanks solely to you. I took C4orce2 and ran it through the emissions test last week, about 6 weeks before I had to renew the registration, just to see if it would pass. It failed badly. I showed the results to my tuner and he said it failed due to the cam, the size of my mini cats and the location of the mini cats. I guess this hot cam of course dumps a lot of fuel into the exhaust and the cats are supposed to handle that problem. But my cats are too small and located too far away from the engine.

So I went through the process of getting my car deemed "collectible" under AZ law. The Grundy policy I have does have use restrictions but no mileage limits. The use restrictions in the policy and the fact that my car if over 15 years old, qualified it as "collectible" without any mileage restrictions. When the insurance companies verify coverage automatically to DMV they put a code on the type of coverage. I had no idea this program even existed and my insurance company had not properly coded the coverage until I got them to correct it. My company had not put the correct code in and that's why I would have been stuck with an emissions test. So I dodged this bullet and got the registration renewed ahead of time. Thanks for your great suggestion.

That's awesome to hear, Larry. FNBADAZ06 went thru emission testing (OBD test only) on Friday...no visual test for cat's were performed as many here suspected. Your situation with the cam and cat location does bring up a valid point. When do newer ('96 and newer ?) cars get tail pipe sniffing....does it ever happen ? I know at this point it will be only OBD testing for FNBADAZ06, and the CEL posed by the cat deletion will get addressed via a tune, but a cam with larger than stock overlap like the Hot Cam (and my Katech Torquer) will have the same effect (excess unburned fuel in exhaust).

Last I heard, MVD requires emissions testing every two years after the vehicle is five years old.

Last I heard, MVD requires emissions testing every two years after the vehicle is five years old.

Correct, but it's OBCII testing only. I'm wondering if there is ever an exception or upcoming legislation change that will require tail pipe testing (automobile tail pipe testing, before all the ACEhole's reply :lol )on 96 and newer cars. As Larry has just seen, a cam shaft change to something a bit more radical than stock can cause the car to fail an exhaust test miserably.

Correct, but it's OBCII testing only. I'm wondering if there is ever an exception or upcoming legislation change that will require tail pipe testing (automobile tail pipe testing, before all the ACEhole's reply :lol )on 96 and newer cars. As Larry has just seen, a cam shaft change to something a bit more radical than stock can cause the car to fail an exhaust test miserably.

To be specific: your HC has to be 1.00 or less, mine was 1.2; your CO has to be 12.0 or less, mine was 28.12; and your NOX has to be 2.5 or less, mine was 1.63. The tuner might have been able to get the HC down to where I needed it, but there was no way he could fix the CO. I'm just lucky my car is as old as it is and I've got Grundy as my insurer since some of the other insurers also have mileage limitations that I could not live with. I didn't spend all this money on C4orce2 just to look at it!!

See most of you in the morning. I'll be in the "slow and go" group.

But officer, the last sign I saw said the speed limit was 75. :smilelol

And here are the exemptions from the ADOT website to help update your hearing. :lol

Exempted Vehicles

Most model year 2007 or newer, except reconstructed, vehicles

Most model year 2009 or newer original equipment alternative fuel vehicles

Model year 1966 and older vehicles

Vehicles designated as "collectible" (requires collectible vehicle insurance, reported to Arizona Motor Vehicle Division by insurer)

Electric powered, golf carts or vehicles with engine displacement of less than 90cc

Motorcycles registered in the Tucson metropolitan area

Apportioned vehicles (licensed in more than one state)

Vehicles leased to a person residing outside the emission control areas

Vehicles transferred between dealers (wholesale)