cn'v corvettes

Guest sclirada

Guest sclirada

Hi all! Thinking about buying my first Vette from cn'v,( a 77 coupe), but I live out of state, can anyone recommend a good person or company to check out a particular car I am interested in? Having never owned a Vette before, even if I flew down there , I wouldn't trust my knowledge of Vettes, or lack of. Thanks!!!! Scott

There are a few members in the area that can go to CNV and look over the car for you, and even get you some pictures and give you a non-biased opinion.

We have a few members that have purchased from CNV, myself being one of them. I would recommend working with Tom Flannery. He is a pretty decent guy and not your typical used car saleman.

If you are already settled on a car, let CNV know that you want someone to come look at it on your behalf. I would be willing to look at it on Wednesday afternoon this week. I will be flying back from Dallas from a job and they are on the way from the airport to my house.

Are you looking at the Burgandy or the Silver '77?

If you are ready to have someone look at it on Wednesday, or want to talk more, call me at 480-857-8391 or on my cell phone at 480-220-2484.

3,503 lbs of trouble

Sclirada - I sent you an e-mail. I'm not as optimistic about CnV as Bryan, but I think what I wrote is fair considering their general reputation.

Bryan, you will be copied, so if you think what I wrote is incorrect in any way, be sure to counter it. I just feel he should know they have a bit of a tarnished reputation in the community before he makes a final decision.

And perhaps a reference from the BBB, whether good or bad, couldn't hurt. They do not have a bias either way.

Oh, I will agree -- their reputation BLOWS. They are a definite "Buyer beware" location, according to the many accusations that are out on the web.

However, I got what I paid for in a Corvette, and Dwayne also agrees. I think you most definitely have to go over the car top to bottom, all the side, and crawl all over, under and through the car.

their prices are a little high as well. One other thing with their prices is that they may have 3 cars, all the same year and will list them all at the same price. However, the 3 cars, once you get a close look at them can have one with brand new paint, one with decent factory paint and another with cracked, chipped and spider-webbed paint. The conditions of the cars can be anywhere from poor to average to above average and all be listed at the same price. That is good if you want the crappy one as you can then haggle the price down according to the condition versus the same priced better car next to it.

3,503 lbs of trouble

To be fair, Bryan is right. You can get a good car from CnV. You just have to go through it THOROUGHLY to be sure it's a good one. I almost bought a car there two years ago, before the '79. It was an '86 Vert, but in the case of that car it was a documented one owner low mileage Scottsdale garage queen that they had only just taken in the previous day. The car's past was easy to see, and they had not really had a chance to do anything to it, but unfortunately it sold just before I saw it on their site and called. I would have purchased that particular car.

Guest sclirada

Hi all! I can't THANK Bryan enough for going out of his way for us!!!, No one has ever done that for us before.Thanks for the pics Bryan! Also the helpful e-mails from Dan. Well, we'll see what happens,talked to CN'V, Tom is a really nice Guy, they are very FIRM on the price though. He did try (Tom), talked to the owner. Said he had alot of money into the car, new paint ($3,000) etc. Not sure it is worth $14,995. The correct price they said was on the Web site, the $13,995 they said was before it was painted. Bryan did seem to like the car overall. A #2 L82 car in my Vette book(standard catalog of Corvette 1953-2005), lists for about $16K, sound right?????? The brakes are stainless, Tom had the paper for that. Frame is solid. Paint pretty nice, new interior, They said they would fix the door, take it off, etc. Will keep you posted, I really like the car. Down here in Florida, I don't care what anyone says, nice Vettes are hard to find, and are very pricy if they are nice. Been looking here for a while, and people want that kind of money for cars that need new paint, interior , etc. THANK YOU ALL!!!! Will keep you posted! Sclirada (family of 4)

I understand that you had some more questions about the car.

Just post them here, and I will answer when I get some time. I am going to be out almost all day Sunday (car show) but will be back in the evening to pack up and head out of town for work all week.

Best way is to post your questions and I will reply when I see them.

Guest sclirada

Hi Bryan! Just wanted your last thoughts, ( or anyone elses), you have been so helpful! Tom has been wonderful, but because of the new paint, the owner is firm on the price of the car. I did give them a deposit on the car, so he had an inspector (his name is Charlie Jones, seemed very knowledgable, anyone familiar with him? ) check out the car. Charlie really liked the car, he mentioned some of the things you said, about wet sanding the paint etc. He made a list , of nothing major, that Tom said they would take care of. Including the door gap, etc. Tom said Charlie would come back after these things are fixed, double check, and drive the car with him. Now the bad news, I definately now can't afford the trip to see the car in person. My traveling expenses would be about $500. Do you think all this is enough to cover my bases? If the car test drives ok, should It be a pretty safe purchase? Certainly in my mind it wouldn't be a disaster. Don't mean to put this on you, It's just that you saw the car in person, and by what you said, it seems like it is a very decent, presentable, car, not a "basketcase" or "horror story" vehicle . I did notice that CN'V is a member of the Arizona BBB. Again, thanks for your help!!! Scott :howdy:

Well, with another person inspecting, and making sure all the items that he and I both found are taken care of, you should be very safe in purchasing that car.

I can't speak for the drivability, but if the other inspector says it drives good and straight and inspects all items (wipers, lights, power locks, windows, etc) then it should be OK.

Make sure to inquire about a warranty and find out what the shipping costs are as well.

For what CNV has on the lot, that is the best in that price range and age. I saw a 1976 at the car show last night that was no where near as clean under the hood, interior was poor / fair, and the paint was spider web cracked everywhere. That car was going for $8950, and it was also a L-48 engine. You are looking at a car with new paint, new interior, good shape under the hood, and one that you will not have to do restoration work on for many, many years for a price that is equal to buying a car in poor condition and restoring it.

Guest sclirada

Hi Bryan, Thanks so much, again, I will let you and others know how this turns out. Your help and knowledge has been MUCH appreciated. Take care!!! Scott :howdy:

Scott,

Why don't you give CnV a call, and tell them to let Bryan test drive it for you also. I would trust his opnion.

Well, I am going to be out of town for work all this week and next week so I won't be test driving anything but an Avis rental car or two.