Let's Talk Performance Chips

jstrutt

Ok I need some direction here. With a 2004 convertible, automatic, 5.7, Blackwing, B&B Bullets what would you suggest for a performance chip considering the price and ease of installation and why?

Two Fangs

There is not a chip for a 2004. The PCM will need to be reflashed with new memory calibrations (a "tune"). Let's start this a little backwards. Why do you want to modify the calibrations within the PCM, and what are you expecting from the tune? These answers will have a large bearing on my answer.

There is not a chip for a 2004. The PCM will need to be reflashed with new memory calibrations (a "tune").

Let's start this a little backwards.

Why do you want to modify the calibrations within the PCM, and what are you expecting from the tune?

These answers will have a large bearing on my answer.

Just a little more performance and perhaps a slight gain in mpg. GForce has one for the 2004 at $69.00. Not looking for a great gain in hp as I really don't use it often but may be nice to have. :edward:

chips are junk! Just like Diablo hand held tuners

That's what I need to know. :rockon2:

Drewstein

I agree with Mike. Getting a "chip" is akin to getting a hamburger cooked by an out of state chef and expecting it to be good when it gets here. I wouldn't trust anyone not looking directly at the car and how it responds to tune it. That said, I would talk to NicD about getting a tune in the car. In an auto you'll see a good gain off a street tune.

Two Fangs

Just a little more performance and perhaps a slight gain in mpg. GForce has one for the 2004 at $69.00. Not looking for a great gain in hp as I really don't use it often but may be nice to have. :edward:

This is what I thought you were alluding to when you started talking about a chip. This GForce device plugs into the intake air temperature sensor harness. It then modifies the sensor voltage that tells the PCM what the intake air temperature is. By modifying this signal, engine fueling and ignition timing amounts can be increased.

The literature touting the benefits of this device are completely false. It can also be detrimental to performance.

I am not sure I would worry about getting a PCM recalibration with just a cold air kit and exhaust. While there will certainly be benefits, I am not sure they will outweigh the cost. If you are dead set on getting a tune, I am sure we can get to a solution.

I agree that a good tune is the only way to go. When I had my car tuned on a loaded dyno at Dyno Comp in Scottsdale, it made all the difference in the world, of course I had driveability issues that needed to be resolved as well. It is amazing how much additional power can be found with a good tune. :3gears:

Guest badbobs95

I agree that a good tune is the only way to go. When I had my car tuned on a loaded dyno at Dyno Comp in Scottsdale, it made all the difference in the world, of course I had driveability issues that needed to be resolved as well. It is amazing how much additional power can be found with a good tune. :3gears:

That's because you have an engine worth tuning. Nobody wants to touch an LT1. I've been told there isn't much to gain. Anybody hear differently?

Grayeagle

From what I have read a tune basically will remove some of the compromises that GM has put in (like shift points/timing etc) and set the car up a bit more aggressive on fuel/air ratio's .. of course it makes more of a change on a modded motor, but still ..NicD is the magician who can bring out the best in your ride I heard :) -Frank (just sayin)