Looking for some tune and review on a 1960

GregB

Hi all, I just acquired a 1960 Vette that is in need of a tune and general clean-up and. Would appreciate it if I could get some recommendations from the forum on local shops. The car is about 60% restored and sat for about the last year without being run much. The carb could probably use a tear down and there are a multitude of other little things that need to be done to it as well. I'm looking for an initial tune and will try to tackle most of the rest on my own. Thanks for the help.

You might try Doug Bromely. He's the only one that I know of that works on the old ones, but he does specialize in C3's I think. Aside from that, we love to see pics of work/mods/restoration. :yesnod

Final Effort

Welcome nice to see a member with a real Vette. What are you looking for in the initial tune? Points, Plugs, Wires, Cond, Cap & Rotor. Just because it sat shouldn't make the carb need rebuilt. All that is simple work compared to the EFI Computer crap of today. What part of town are you in maybe some guys can lend a hand. I had a 61 that I restored wish I still had it.

give Mark a call at Vintage Iron ... he has a top carb guy and they are pretty much the vintage guys .... they do a lot of older vettes ... big blocks and small .... and great guys to work with ..... just sayin .... :3gears:

480-250-2333

http://www.vintageironandrestoration.com/

Welcome again Greg, I don't know what end of town your in but there are still some carb shops in town. Still think there is one in Sunnyslope on 7th St N. of Hatcher. I'm sure they still have carb kits available if you want to rebuild if you need to. I think I have a can of carb cleaner hanging around. Also have a timing light, will have to dust it off though. :lol Post some pics for us we love to see works in progress. Most of the peeps around here pretty awesome for helping out. edit spelling

Thanks for the info. I will post a pic when I get back in town. I'm working off a phone at the moment and don't see that option. By the way I live in the Mesa / Tempe area. I don't think the carb needs to be rebuilt as much as it probably has some varnish build up where it shouldn't. I think I can feel it mostly in the lower rpm range. I'm also looking to try and understand what would be considered normal in how it operates and responds for this year and what is needing to be worked on. I have a couple contacts now and will try to make some calls on Mon or Tues.

Guest badbobs95

Hi Greg and welcome to the jungle :partydance: Either try Bromley's or Felix @ Corvette Authority in Mesa. His # is 480-313-2969. He's over by Broadway and Country Club area. He knows his s-it.

So, I'm trying to post a pic but every time it goes to upload the jpg, nothing seems to happen. I've tried the simple and advanced batch loading. Any thoughts? If I still can't tomorrow, I will post a URL instead. Thanks,

You will have to upload the pictures to a site like Photobucket and then link them here in order to be seen.

You are close Greg, you need to copy and paste the link with the tags at the front and back for it to automatically display.

nice looking collectables ... ya gotta love a 2 vette garage !!! :rockon2:

Yay. Thanks for the edit to my post. So I love the collection but don't plan on keeping them both. I think I will be selling the 60 and keeping the Stingray for fun.

• 1 month later...

Greg I have the tools needed to do a tuneup if you want to try doing it. I have a dwell gauge, vacumn gauge, and a Timing light. I am not sure how many people even know what these are any more. I do not have any documentation on the 60 but do have a book that gives the specification for the 70. I presently have a 66 and 94, but did have a 74 for over ten years. Let me know if you want to try doing something sometime.

Greg

I have the tools needed to do a tuneup if you want to try doing it. I have a dwell gauge, vacumn gauge, and a Timing light. I am not sure how many people even know what these are any more. I do not have any documentation on the 60 but do have a book that gives the specification for the 70.

I presently have a 66 and 94, but did have a 74 for over ten years. Let me know if you want to try doing something sometime.

I've got an old Chiltons that shows some specs for the '60 if it's stock....

Bromley's Corvettes

Just put a Pertronix in the dist and be done with it. :yesnod

Doug, I have heard many things about the Pertronix, some were good and some were bad. I have tought about installing one in my 66 but am not sure if I want one or not. Are there any secrets about the reliability? Do you have contacts to get parts for old cars. I have Rhoads lifter in my engine and need to replace them, From everything I can find, there is only one place in Phoenix that carry Rhoads and they are in the far east valley, so I would have to order from Jegs to get them. I don't race the car any more so I plan to install stock lifters. Besides the old BB is a little tired now and I don't need to be turning 6-7K any more. Greg, The other issue you will encounter are parts for the carb. I run a fairly new Holley and find it hard to find parts for it, especially bowl gaskets and jets. I can not believe speed shops don't always have these parts.