ACE Autocross 2011

Desertdawg

Hey Dawg...If you don't mind...

Here's some advice for the novices:

Remove floor mats, radar detectors, spare tire & jack and empty console & glove box. Run about 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel (there's a Chevron next to the site). The reason for removing these items is that the lateral G-forces cause things to move around a bunch AND you don't need the extra weight.

You'll need a helmet (last year they didn't require any particular helmet) and closed toed shoes.

If you're concerned about getting scuff marks from the cones, you can put some blue painters tape in front of the wheel wells and/or along the rocker panels, otherwise, if you've waxed your car the scuff marks will wipe off easily with a little quick detailer. If you're not hitting cones then you're not going fast enough!

Convertibles are allowed without rollbars. Fire extinguishers etc. are not required. Removing the targa/t-tops will lower the center of gravity (good thing), however, chassis will flex more (bad thing).

Rule of Thumb regarding tire pressure is to add 15% to normal psi for autocrossing. However, with our low profile (and especially run-flat tires), extra inflation isn't as critical as with normal street tires. Just keep an eye on your tires and if you're getting excess wear on the sidewalls then add pressure accordingly.

This type of racing isn't all that hard on the engine and brakes since each run only lasts about 40 seconds or so and you're not going all that fast.

Hope this answers any questions for those of you considering trying autocrossing. It's a real blast to see what these cars are capable of doing.

Here's Mikey's suggestions from the previous post that has been locked.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• Bigfoot

• wickedfastvette

• fourseventeen

so are full face motorcross helmets ok?

From what I recall, as long as it's Snell 2000 rated it can be any style of helmet

Hey Dawg...If you don't mind...

Here's some advice for the novices:

Remove floor mats, radar detectors, spare tire & jack and empty console & glove box. Run about 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel (there's a Chevron next to the site). The reason for removing these items is that the lateral G-forces cause things to move around a bunch AND you don't need the extra weight.

You'll need a helmet (last year they didn't require any particular helmet) and closed toed shoes.

If you're concerned about getting scuff marks from the cones, you can put some blue painters tape in front of the wheel wells and/or along the rocker panels, otherwise, if you've waxed your car the scuff marks will wipe off easily with a little quick detailer. If you're not hitting cones then you're not going fast enough!

Convertibles are allowed without rollbars. Fire extinguishers etc. are not required. Removing the targa/t-tops will lower the center of gravity (good thing), however, chassis will flex more (bad thing).

Rule of Thumb regarding tire pressure is to add 15% to normal psi for autocrossing. However, with our low profile (and especially run-flat tires), extra inflation isn't as critical as with normal street tires. Just keep an eye on your tires and if you're getting excess wear on the sidewalls then add pressure accordingly.

This type of racing isn't all that hard on the engine and brakes since each run only lasts about 40 seconds or so and you're not going all that fast.

Hope this answers any questions for those of you considering trying autocrossing. It's a real blast to see what these cars are capable of doing.

Here's Mikey's suggestions from the previous post that has been locked.

Mikey's advice is spot on, heed the advice

fourseventeen

Never heard of snell 2000. I have rode motorcycles most of my life. I am aware of DOT but thats it.

Never heard of snell 2000. I have rode motorcycles most of my life. I am aware of DOT but thats it.

Just cover your face. For our sake...

:)

fourseventeen

Just cover your face. For our sake...

:)

Like your even gonna be there Teddy :smilelol

Back on Topic !

Updated the list, added Ryan and Keith :thumbs

I've sent in my Registration money.

This will also be my 1st AutoX (and ACE Event)! :howdy

First post, first event, first autox, Your batting 1000 :clap

AzDoug, I'll bet your a little nose heavy so it's going to understeer, of course that can always be compensated for with judicial use of the go fast pedal in the middle of a corner! :lol

Dwayne, I am available to help out with whatever you need. Since I no longer have a Corvette, I will not be participating, but will do whatever you need help with. :thumbs

wickedfastvette

Dwayne, I am available to help out with whatever you need. Since I no longer have a Corvette, I will not be participating, but will do whatever you need help with. :thumbs

You can use your Firebird, it won't be the only one there.

You can use your Firebird, it won't be the only one there.

So true!

In case anyone has any interest, my devoted pit crew (AKA that guy I married) is bringing a BBQ to grill up some goodies for lunch. Feel free to bring your.. um.. meat (or whatev) to grill, or post up that you want a burger (and toss a small donation... I drive a 3rd gen...).

I'll admit to being too lazy to walk to Loud Pedal's tent at 5th gen fest.

Project92RS

In case anyone has any interest, my devoted pit crew (AKA that guy I married) is bringing a BBQ to grill up some goodies for lunch. Feel free to bring your.. um.. meat (or whatev) to grill, or post up that you want a burger (and toss a small donation... I drive a 3rd gen...).

I'll admit to being too lazy to walk to Loud Pedal's tent at 5th gen fest.

As the aforementioned pit crew, I'll be there with the support vehicle (aka large Chevy truck) and a full size grill. Post up a headcount and I'm willing to bring the burgers etc in exchange for small donations to help cover expenses. I can also bring a couple of large coolers full of beverages since I know all of our cars are a bit lacking in space to fit anything other than drivers and a chair or two in them for an event like this.

In organized motorsports, if you don't have the correct Snell rated helmet, it could keep you from being able to participate. Snell ratings are updated like every 5 years, and depending upon the venue and what the event is, you may only need a 2000 rating or you may need the newest rating, which is 2010.

Motorcycle helmets also get rated, but the testing done on M rated helmets (motorcycle) are not as extensive as SA rated helmets(sports application). SA rated helmets undergo flammability testing and rollbar impact testing & M rated helmets don't. There is also K rated helmets which are for Karting.

Due to this not being an organized event (meaning no time taking) it sounds like no special rating is required.

fourseventeen

Yup I use to have a K rated helmet back in my 100mph shifter kart days :thumbs Anyway my dirtbike helmets are all DOT/Snell 2000 rated. I havent checked my sportbike helmets yet but it sounds like my closed face MX helmets will be ok though.

Yup I use to have a K rated helmet back in my 100mph shifter kart days :thumbs

Anyway my dirtbike helmets are all DOT/Snell 2000 rated. I havent checked my sportbike helmets yet but it sounds like my closed face MX helmets will be ok though.

Damn Jay, do you have 300 of everything? Posted Image

Paypal sent in for Jack and Francy Garchow aka' "the slowpoke Geezer from Garlic Gultch and the go fast ol' Biddie race team". Entry fee for each one. Geezer? I will Turn 70yoa on the 15th. This is my birthday present and get to cross it off my bucket list. forgot to include forum name of Jack 52r and just could not find famly and friends :crayon:

fourseventeen

Yup I use to have a K rated helmet back in my 100mph shifter kart days :thumbs

Anyway my dirtbike helmets are all DOT/Snell 2000 rated. I havent checked my sportbike helmets yet but it sounds like my closed face MX helmets will be ok though.

Damn Jay, do you have 300 of everything? Posted Image

Pretty much. I love toys what can I say. I have gone through sports and hobbies like there is no tomorrow.

This would be pretty fun to try. Never have done it before. I don't think my car will stick very well though as I have a little of that Loud Pedal Super Blue on my tires from the last car show I was at. Stuff works pretty good and stays for a while. Did I tell you guys that I won the MAJOR trophy at that show? Sorry, I drifted there for a minute. :facepalm: I will donate to the cause if needed though but won't be able to attend. Have fun everyone and we that can't make it need VIDEO of this. Not just pictures.

fourseventeen

I am bringing out a GoPro Hero HD video cam that I will be mounting on my Z so we will have vid if I go...and im pretty sure I will make it. I just need to swap out my 3 piece for the stock wheels/tires.