Think I'm going to do something to piss off the wife...

Bigfoot

Ok gun nuts, I think I'm really going to do it this time. What can you guys tell me about this, AR-15s M4 Del-Ton 16" uppers and Plum Crazy Lowers 1/9 twist A2 FH. I found a guy selling 2 brand new ones but don't know squat about brand quality. $580 for one and $600 for the other. One has an upper carry handle that the other one does not.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigfoot

• fourseventeen

• P51tj

• Drewstein

Oh......I thought maybe you were going to plan on coming to a function again :leaving (just joking brutha! :smilelol )

I wouldn't buy one with the carry handle as they suck for just about any aftermarket options. Buy the flat top or walk away. I also pieced out a brand new DI gun that's quality for the best price - Surplus Arms & Ammo Lower: $60 Daniel Defense LPK: $80 Bravo Company 16" Midlength upper with BCG and charging handle: $520 MOE Handguards: $30 BCM Buffer Tube Kit w/ H buffer and M4 Stock: $95 Troy flip up rear sight: $140 Total: $925

I've made the commitment to the guy to buy. He'll be up here (from Tucson) Friday the 25th and we'll meet at Cabella's. Drew, it actually has a removeable carry handle with iron sights, so that won't be a problem. I don't have any plans to buy optics any time soon...it will piss the wife off that I'm getting it in the first place...that is once I tell her. :bolt: When searching for ammo online, there hasn't been any distiction between .223 and 5.56, so it seems either way they are interchangeable. Jay, you wan't to go to Cabella's in 2 weeks? :lol

fourseventeen

yeah ill take a ride up there with you Sean just let me know. as far as ammo...typically your gonna see .223 for sale in the stores. 5.56 is mil spec stuff so usually when you see 5.56 ammo for sale its surplus ammo. I have both and shoot both. All my LE rifle ammo is .223 stuff. And yes as we talked about on the phone...the A3 config is the best way to go. You will have the handle/iron sites for now and later down the road if you get optics you can take the handle off and have a flat top upper ready for optics.

If you didn't have a hardon for an AR, I'd say buy an AK, best bang for the buck, IMO. Depends in if you're sniping or just having fun putting holes in stuff. I love my AK!

I considered an AK, but I've shot the M-16, albeit only a few times while in the AF, and pretty much still remember how to take it apart...at least I hope so. It also helps that I like them. :thumbs I'll take you up on that Tim...at some point. :lol

When searching for ammo online, there hasn't been any distiction between .223 and 5.56, so it seems either way they are interchangeable.

It's not the ammo it's the gun. If the gun is only chambered in .223 then you need to only get .223. If it's 5.56 then it'll shoot both. Just to watch out for.

Now go check out http://www.gun-deals.com/ammo.php for good ammo prices. Keep an eye on cost per round and don't buy Wolf.

I've seen that site before Drew...they don't even list 5.56, only .223 But the guy did say it is chambered 5.56 Pretty much every site I've looked at either lists only .223 or they list is as .223/5.56 :thumbs BTW, the wife figured it out. :lol The dude called me today and I took it outside. She asked me what it was about and I told her I'd tell her later...when she got home tonight she asked if I was buying something and I paused and said yes. The she asked, "is it this big" holding her arms out. I said yes and she just gave me a dirty look. :lol

Remember what they say Sean.... "it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission". :lol

Drew is right - - if the gun is marked 5.56, it will shoot either 5.56 or .223. If the gun is marked .223, only .223 should be shot in it. The experts have told me there is a slight difference in the neck of the cartridge between the 2 and anyone with a gun marked .223 should heed the advice. Just passing on my 2 cents worth. I shot about 300 rounds thru my AR last Friday trying to figure out which cartridge shot the best of 5 brands I had at the moment. Remington UMC 45 gr JHP, Federal 50 gr JHP, Wolf 55 gr FMJ, Black Hills 68 gr Match, and Hornady 55 gr SP. I'm shooting a DoubleStar 16 inch barrel flat top rail with an inexpensive red dot sight (no magnification) on top. I can co-witness with a Troy batte sight but folded it down for this experiment just using the dot. 5 shot groups were all under 2 inches shooting from a bipod at 50 yards. The Black Hills 68 gr match hp was the tightest group at 1.0 inch and the Hornady was 1.2 inches for second place. I didn't think that was too bad for a weekend plinker dude...... Get one and go have some fun! Malcolm

You guys crack me up. I was thinking the exact same thing when I did it Eddie. :lol How was the wolf ammo Malcolm, since Drew said to stay away from it?

It shot a 1.4 inch group - ok in the shooting department. I've heard lots of complaints about how dirty it is. I just had one box of 20 and rattled off 2 5 shot groups slowly. Then I ran the remaining 10 through as fast as I could pull it. It fed fine, no issues cycling, but after 20 rounds, I ran a patch through the barrel and it was a lot dirtier than other rounds. I also wondered about the quality of the casing - - not sure what it is but it's a different color than your normal brass. I won't be buying it again unless I'm in a pinch to find ammo... Just my opinion and I'm no expert... Malcolm

I'm going to bet that it was a coated steel cased round then. AZshooting.com had a few threads about the stuff. Some like, some complain. Pretty typical.

fourseventeen

DO NOT....I repeat DO NOT shoot Wolf! That CRAP is JUNK! Spend an extra 1.00 per box and buy GOOD ammo! If you want to shoot junk ammo I have some Wolf .223 you can buy but personally I would spend the extra buck and get brass instead of the dirty wolf steel cased ammo. And yes when it comes to AR's I would consider myself an expert in these rifles. I not only own a bunch, I have built literally over 100 of them and at one point I was even the director of operations for a firearms company. BTW....I hate AK's lol. I would take an AR over an AK any day of the week. Just my opinion of coarse.

BTW....I hate AK's lol. I would take an AR over an AK any day of the week. Just my opinion of coarse.

But since you have some Wolf, you will need an AK to get rid of that stuff. :lol

BTW....I hate AK's lol. I would take an AR over an AK any day of the week. Just my opinion of coarse.

But since you have some Wolf, you will need an AK to get rid of that stuff. :lol

I agree! If anything, AK's will shoot anything you feed it, and do it reliably, even if it just came out of a mud/sand/water bath! Ask me how I know! While you're clearing the jam in your AR, I just emptied a 30 rd. mag! :lol

Happy shooting! I hope it's good to you!

And yes when it comes to AR's I would consider myself an expert in these rifles. I not only own a bunch, I have built literally over 100 of them and at one point I was even the director of operations for a firearms company.

Ok Homer Simpson, is there a job you haven't had at your ripe old age? :smilelol