NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

2 day northern AZ cruise

Eddie44

I got the idea from something I saw on TV this morning. There's a group of pre 74 vintage cars touring northern AZ starting today.

Just judging the interest in a 2 day cruise thru northern AZ. Maybe start with a Prescott to Jerome to Sedona to Flagstaff. We could all spend the night in Flagstaff and then head home via the eastside of the state and the White Mtns. We could confirm a route as we get into the planning. I would be open to suggested sites to see, places to stop or restaurants to eat at.

I'm thinking a couple months out. Maybe July, Aug or Sept. when it's hot here in Phx.

Feel free to post your interest and suggestions.

Guest Kens06

Put me in the YES column Ed!!

That sounds really fun, although un-ACE like!! :D

A layed back site seeing tour of Northern AZ is SO :cool:cool !!

Ken

Sounds good!!! With enough notice maybe those that work on Sat. could schedule that Sat. off. Robert :burnout

A layed back site seeing tour of Northern AZ is SO :cool:cool !!

Ken

who are you kidding - laid back sight seeing?????

we drive WAY TOO FAST to see sights! :rolf

Guest Kens06

A layed back site seeing tour of Northern AZ is SO  :cool  :cool !!

Ken

You forget Chris,

I have a site seeing car now!!

I can take the top out and scare the crap out of myself if I get too crazy in the 'Flexy Flyer' !!

Ken

Okay, we're getting some interest. How about sights you feel are worth seeing or routes you think would be interesting.

A layed back site seeing tour of Northern AZ is SO  :cool  :cool !!

Ken

You forget Chris,

I have a site seeing car now!!

I can take the top out and scare the crap out of myself if I get too crazy in the 'Flexy Flyer' !!

Ken

i used to drive my "flexi flyer" with the top off ALL THE TIME and had the sunburn to prove it - that didn't stop me from TRYING to catch the front runner crowd! :burnout

[quote name=Togo' date='Apr i used to drive my "flexi flyer" with the top off ALL THE TIME and had the sunburn to prove it - that didn't stop me from TRYING to catch the front runner crowd! :burnout

:agree:withstupid

If we can squeeze this in with all the other flagstaff (NAU) trips this summer, then we are a "count us in" too....

As for the trip back, I can do some details about a scenic trip from Showlow to Alpine, then from there its all down hill... :D

From Flag to Showlow is a long flat run (1 hour interstate, 1 hour 2 lane).

I think the trip home is going to be rushed, through Showlow by 10am and Alpine by 1pm to get back to Phoenix by dark... looks like its about 500 miles.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, we're getting some interest.  How about sights you feel are worth seeing or routes you think would be interesting.

No suggestions? If we're going to do this in the late summer months we should be planning it now so people can put it on their calendars. Late summer is vacation time and people will be make plans for them.

My thought was Phx to Prescott to Sedona to Flagstaff (via Oak Creek). That should get us to Flagstaff in time for sightseeing, shopping, dinner and of course beer drinking (did you catch that Mark?).

Then the second day take a run across 40 thru Winslow and Holbrook. Then down through Showlow and back to Phx via either the Salt River Canyon or Payson.

There may be a better route than taking I40. If you know of a more interesting route please let me know. As Dwayne has pointed out we would most likely be pushing it to get down through Alpine and back on the second day.

Also be thinking of good eating places that can accomodate a large group. 1st day lunch would be in Sedona and Dinner in Flagstaff. 2nd day breakfast in Flagstaff lunch in Showlow / Pinetop area.

Just some things to think about so this idea doesn't die and we get things firmed up soon.

Guest XLR8TNC5

I made a run Sunday with my friend Doug (EVO 8 pal) and we went to Safford, Clifton and then Alpine on Hwy191. It KICKED OUR ASSES!!!! It was by far the most fun I have EVER EVER EVER had in my car. 500 turns and 10mph hairpins galore, but it was beautiful! We came back through Showlow and Globe/Miami.

I was thinking it would be a great cruise for ACE, however, I have to be frank here, it is NOT for the light of heart. It was a VERY technical drive and took a lot of mental concentration, understanding of my cars handling capabilities, and stamina to keep up the energy of the turns. There were quite a few stops to just get out and relax the brain for a minute or two. We did stop in Alpine to have lunch though. The total trip on my Tripodometer was 625miles. We left at 630am and were back in town by 7:00pm. But we were moving pretty good through some of the straight sections.

This might be fun for ACE, but like I said, this is a drive for a SERIOUS driver. And I know you ALL are serious drivers, now the question is.....do you have the stamina? lol...

Tanya