NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Paging A&M and Steve........

Togo

sundays are OK by me - like Steve said, those are the only days he is off now (or is he even off then?

A&M have the ramps and i'm sure i'll need those to get the car in the air.

i just need a few days notice so i can go somewhere and get the fluids - i think i'm going ALL ROYAL PURPLE.

how much fluid does the rear end and tranny take again?

and how many empty jugs did you all need? so i can start saving those too!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Togo

• anmracing2

• Eddie44

• anmracing

I'm surprised no one has answered this.... When were you thinkin' of doing this???? The Seery ramps are always ready....

Steve is a pro with the pump and Eddie, Melissa, Glenn, Marylou and Robert are awesome at telling him to get to work... :P I was looking good just standing there, as usual..... :D

Andrew

perhaps 2-3 weekends from now?

whenever is convenient for everyone else - as i'm pretty much at the mercy of you or melissa, and steve!

:drinkers

i'm pretty much at the mercy of melissa!

Just the kind of thing I like to hear!!! Bow down before me!!

Tee hee....j/k!

M~

i'm pretty much at the mercy of melissa!

Just the kind of thing I like to hear!!! Bow down before me!!

Tee hee....j/k!

M~

:rolf:rolf:rolf

With enough advance notice I'd probably be up for doing it too. I've just got a really tough schedule the middle to end of may since the kid graduates and we'll be moving him home for the summer.

Chris I already have two gal jugs and I'll keep collecting them until we get ready to do it.

Steve, how much did the rearend take? I have the A4 so the transmission will be different. I'll also check to see if we have to drop the pan or not.

Guest UVETTYA

Hi everyone!

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I'm back to work now and it sux. On top of that, this last week I've been entertaining out of state visitors.

Chris, the tranny takes 3.7 qts and the diff takes 1.7 qts. Check to see if the Royal Purple diff fluid has the friction modifier for your LSD, in it already. If it doesn't you might want to add 8 oz of the GM stuff. I don't have the part number handy but the stealership will know what you're talking about.

I can't do it the 30th because I'm going on the SECC's Sunday cruise, but any other Sunday is ok.

You'll need to buy a pump... Andrew's pump supplier (Castle Boutique) wants a lot for one but Wally World has them for $8. :D

You'll also need a drain pan for the old fluids and 2 empty gallon jugs.

Eddie, if you drop the pan, check with the dealership to see if you need to replace the pan gasket. You might want to replace the filter too. I would guess there's one in there.

Steve

Hi everyone!

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I'm back to work now and it sux. On top of that, this last week I've been entertaining out of state visitors.

Chris, the tranny takes 3.7 qts and the diff takes 1.7 qts. Check to see if the Royal Purple diff fluid has the friction modifier for your LSD, in it already. If it doesn't you might want to add 8 oz of the GM stuff. I don't have the part number handy but the stealership will know what you're talking about.

I can't do it the 30th because I'm going on the SECC's Sunday cruise, but any other Sunday is ok.

You'll need to buy a pump... Andrew's pump supplier (Castle Boutique) wants a lot for one but Wally World has them for $8. :D

You'll also need a drain pan for the old fluids and 2 empty gallon jugs.

Eddie, if you drop the pan, check with the dealership to see if you need to replace the pan gasket. You might want to replace the filter too. I would guess there's one in there.

Steve

All viscosities of Max-Gear are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary.

Steve, didn't you also say that the Manual Trans uses regular ol' transmission fluid?

as i think i remember making some comment about that as i found it odd - as most manuals USED to take like 90 wt. gear oil

• 4 weeks later...

OK, how about calling this one out again i'm definitely ready to have my fluids changed - anyone else?

i also need to replace my radiator - anyone ever change a C5 radiator before?

AND...i also need to run my fuel lines dry and put my fuel pressure sending unit on so my gauge works!

how does one drain the coolant? i usually just run the hose at the front of the car on the driveway and drain away :leaving it washes away and evaporates nicely!

I'm up for doing the fluid changes but time is going to be tought the next month or so. My kids are playing musical bedrooms for the summer and it seems like I have one moving in or out every week for the next month and I'll be in Chicago with "Joe College" kid the first week of June. Let me know when and I'll try to fit it into the schedule. I also have about six gal jugs saved if you need them for fluid disposal.

i also need to replace my radiator - anyone ever change a C5 radiator before?

how does one drain the coolant? i usually just run the hose at the front of the car on the driveway and drain away :leaving  it washes away and evaporates nicely!

The C5 radiator is pretty easy.

I had it out, cleaned it, and put it back in this morning in about an hour and half... and that's the first C5 radiator I've ever done, so it's not like I'm telling you it's easy just because I've done a hundred of them.

The biggest problem was that it had never been taken out, so the little tabs that hold the condenser in place were stuck for a minute. A few "taps" with the handle of my screw driver did the trick.

You'll figure it out once you get into it. No problem.

Guest UVETTYA

I've never had my radiator out either but I'm completely willing to help you experiment on yours... first. Then after we know what we're doing we can take my shroud off and clean the leaves and stuff out of there. :D

We can do your fluids at my house if necessary. I have a low profile jack, jack stands and tools. I'm sure we could get your car up high enough to do the fluid change. You'll need a pump, a catch pan big enough to hold a couple gallons (a plastic dish tub works good) and your fluids.

I can't do it this Sunday but I could next Sunday but it would have to be in the early am.

Steve

my schedule it pretty open - i'd love to get it all done before i drive to vegas - and will be doing that the week of july 17th - that could make for a nice cruise for anyone that can schedule some vacation time! ;)

and thanks for the heads up r40734 - feel free to keep an eye on this and drop by to lend advice - and to point and laugh!

steve - have no problem using mine as a guinea pig - especially if it comes out and back in in less than 2 hours!

my problem is this - is draining the fluids into the gutter against anyones morals here? as i don't really care - especially while diluting it with hose water and running it down the driveway!

i plan on only topping off with distilled / spring water and the royal purple purple ice!

so anyone that wants to help - let's let steve, eddie, and A&M pick the day and time, as we need the ramps that they have at their place.

I'm surprised no one has answered this.... When were you thinkin' of doing this???? The Seery ramps are always ready....

Steve is a pro with the pump and Eddie, Melissa, Glenn, Marylou and Robert are awesome at telling him to get to work... :P I was looking good just standing there, as usual..... :D

Andrew

This is a little off subject, but what are these "Seery ramps" that I've seen mentioned a few times?

any pics of these to post?

Andrew

This is a little off subject, but what are these "Seery ramps" that I've seen mentioned a few times?

any pics of these to post?

Check this link to see the ramps in use.

Serry Ramps

anmracing2

Here are some good pix of the ramps too.....

http://anmracing.phanfare.com/album/47528

Ok. When is this going to happen???? No dumping antifreeze in our yard. Our animals are allergic to it.... Any Sunday for us and Steve, and Eddie has weekends off.

The Seery ramps are great for these fluid jobs.....

Andrew

ok, do you think we can drain it in something big enough to hold the contents of the radiator and the lower portion of the motor?

i'm scared to do it myself, and i don't want to spend the extra dollars to have someone else do it - as i heard it takes like 45 minutes to an hour to replace!

ok, do you think we can drain it in something big enough to hold the contents of the radiator and the lower portion of the motor?

i'm scared to do it myself, and i don't want to spend the extra dollars to have someone else do it - as i heard it takes like 45 minutes to an hour to replace!

I drained mine into a standard 14 quart, plastic mop bucket with room to spare. The factory radiator is only a single core design and doesn't really hold that much fluid. Pulling the outlet hose off the bottom of the radiator still won't allow all the fluid to drain from the engine, either.

The '03 manual states a coolant capacity of 12.6 quarts.

I can only agree with the previous post. A large bucket or something similar. I have a oil drain pan that I think holds ten or twelve quarts. I have been saving gal jugs and probably have 7-8. I can't do it this week and then I'm in Chicago for 10 days. I'm probably looking at being able to do it the middle to end of June.

anmracing2

Sounds good to Melissa. Let us know and we'll be ready...

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
so what's the agenda look like after june 11th?

Can you say "Hot as Hell". Wouldn't be too bad in a garage but out in the sun will be brutal!! Robert :burnout