Am I the only one under a rock...

Donbecker

from here: http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/

Vehicle Emissions Testing for Motorcycles, Collectible Vehicles, and Vehicles More Than 24 Model Years Old

In 2002 the Arizona Legislature required ADEQ to study the effect of exempting motorcycles, collectible vehicles, and vehicles 25 model years old and older from the current vehicle emission testing requirements. ADEQ analyzed these vehicle categories to determine whether including them in the testing program provided a significant air quality benefit. The analysis showed that the testing and repair of collectible vehicles in the Phoenix area, and of collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson area, does not provide a significant air quality benefit. The exemption of these vehicle categories, therefore, would not interfere with continued maintenance of the carbon monoxide air quality standards and progress toward attainment of the ozone air quality standards.

In 2005 the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2357, which amended the Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) at § 49-542 to authorize the exemption of certain collectible vehicles and motorcycles from being subject to the emissions testing requirements. The legislation exempts collectible vehicles in the Phoenix testing area and collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson testing area, pending approval by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

These exemptions to Arizona's vehicle emissions testing program cannot begin until EPA adopts a regulation approving these exemptions. On Dec. 23, 2005, a request to incorporate these changes into Arizona's air quality State Implementation Plan (SIP) was submitted to EPA for review and approval. Following its review, EPA is expected to publish a proposed decision on the request in the Federal Register. Proposed actions are subject to public review and comment. EPA then responds to any comments received and publishes a final action. Final EPA action is expected by early 2007.

:thumbs

i have seen it - bryan has seen it, dwayne has seen it, i just can't find any links that show them talking about it!

you must have been the only one under the rock!

remember, it shows it still needs to go throuth the FEDERAL branch! :banghead

My bet is EARLY 2007 = 2009 sometime on the Federal calendar :rolleyes

Yeah, we all agree-Don, you're under a rock. There is still some contention about whether it will actually exempt vehicles used in Maricopa and Pima counties since the language has a lot of double talk in it. Anyhow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that old age won't to get me before this goes final.

M~

What sucks is my tags are out in September.

I have new cats on mine, but I'm wondering how it's gonna be during the visual inspection as I have an intake from an 86 on a 76.

Don, I put a fuel injected 454 motor out of a '93 GM truck into a '79 Suburban and the first time I took it to emmisions they made me go to the waiver station (not for a waiver) but for an inspection/certification. The guy at the station told me that the conv. is legal as long as it's a newer setup than the fact. setup. He certified it & emmision tested it (it passed). Then every year after that I just had to get a regular emiss. test at a regular test facility and it always passed. I think they had the certification recorded in the E.P.A. computer sys. so they knew that it was a certified conversion. This was in 1997 so I don't know how accurate this info would be today though. Hope this helps... Joe. P.S. They may have put a cert. decal in the eng. comp. but I don't really remember.

Don, I was just thinking about the conv. I did a another one before the Suburban, it was an '82 S-10 p/u with a 2.8 v-6 carbureted. I put in a 4.3 fuel inj. v-6 out of an '89 S-10 and they didn't even give it a second glance, just tested it and that was that. I think it depends on if the tech. (i use that term loosely) at the emmisions station feels like testing it or telling the manager that something doesn't look right (then your screwed). Both vehicles looked stock, right down to the a/c and air cleaner assembly. Just my .02 Joe

What sucks is my tags are out in September.

I have new cats on mine, but I'm wondering how it's gonna be during the visual inspection as I have an intake from an 86 on a 76.

I think what you don't tell them won't hurt you. 90% of those "techs" at the emission stations don't know. If it looks stock and passes they could care less.

It looks stock, but with the fins on the plenum it would look more stock on an 80's car.

I have a K&N filter on the throttle body right now, but I'm planning on a DIY cold air intake sometime before it gets hot.

Might need to take it out before inspection.

Guest 1FASTC4
Don, I was just thinking about the conv. I did a another one before the Suburban, it was an '82 S-10 p/u with a 2.8 v-6 carbureted. I put in a 4.3 fuel inj. v-6 out of an '89 S-10 and they didn't even give it a second glance, just tested it and that was that. I think it depends on if the tech. (i use that term loosely) at the emmisions station feels like testing it or telling the manager that something doesn't look right (then your screwed). Both vehicles looked stock, right down to the a/c and air cleaner assembly. Just my .02 Joe

Well the motor you put in was very commonly used in s10'.. I doubt they knew there was a change, not that they were indifferent.

from here: http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/

Vehicle Emissions Testing for Motorcycles, Collectible Vehicles, and Vehicles More Than 24 Model Years Old

In 2002 the Arizona Legislature required ADEQ to study the effect of exempting motorcycles, collectible vehicles, and vehicles 25 model years old and older from the current vehicle emission testing requirements. ADEQ analyzed these vehicle categories to determine whether including them in the testing program provided a significant air quality benefit. The analysis showed that the testing and repair of collectible vehicles in the Phoenix area, and of collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson area, does not provide a significant air quality benefit. The exemption of these vehicle categories, therefore, would not interfere with continued maintenance of the carbon monoxide air quality standards and progress toward attainment of the ozone air quality standards.

In 2005 the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2357, which amended the Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) at § 49-542 to authorize the exemption of certain collectible vehicles and motorcycles from being subject to the emissions testing requirements. The legislation exempts collectible vehicles in the Phoenix testing area and collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson testing area, pending approval by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

These exemptions to Arizona's vehicle emissions testing program cannot begin until EPA adopts a regulation approving these exemptions. On Dec. 23, 2005, a request to incorporate these changes into Arizona's air quality State Implementation Plan (SIP) was submitted to EPA for review and approval. Following its review, EPA is expected to publish a proposed decision on the request in the Federal Register. Proposed actions are subject to public review and comment. EPA then responds to any comments received and publishes a final action. Final EPA action is expected by early 2007.

:thumbs

HEY WHERE THE HECK IS DAN???

Heard any more on this?

Where are you Dan...long time no hear???

Some of those guys don't know a muffler from a headlite!!

That is why when they type in the VIN the computer tells them what items and where they need to look for them.

I looked into this when I converted my 1980 to F.I.

Technically if you do and engine swap you have to go to a later model year engine and not an older one. In the case of Don going to a 1986 he will have to pass the emissions standard for a 1986. If the 1986 engine was to have A.I.R., EGR, PCV, evap. canister then that is what they will look for under the hood. Most likely he will have to go to the waiver inspection station and tell them that the engine is from a 1986 Corvette so they can adjust the computer to show the right information and do the right test for his VIN.

1980 and below they do a visual inspection for parts, and an idle CO / Hydrocarbons test and a test at 30 MPH.

1981 - 1995 they do a visual inspection, and idle test and a loaded variable speed test. They will drive the car through various speeds as directed by the computer screen.

1996 and up they just plug the computer into the OBDII port and look for any trouble codes and do a visual inspection of the cats and the gas cap and opening.

Why I had a serious problem was that I went to an aftermarket setup instead of a newer model year F.I. system. Mine is technically illegal in AZ. I only pass as they can not visually tell the difference from a TBI system and a carb at a quick glance. I still had to run the A.I.R. system, the EGR and evap canister.

By the way, if the above bill passes EPA approval, it's only for those cars listed as collector (non-daily drivers) that carry collector car insurance. They figured that there were so few collector cars being driven that the emissions impact was negligible and that it didn't pay to bring them in for testing each year vs. the amount of miles driven.

I just went through the test here in Tenn. They only look under the car for cats and do an idle sniffer test. I can remove my evap canister, the EGR and the A.I.R. system now. None of them worked anyway.