Tie your cellphone to your home phones

Eddie44

Tonight at Hooters I was telling some of the folks about a system that allows you to use your cellphone as your home phone (ties it into your home wiring) and allows you to use your normal home phones as extensions.

Here's the website

http://www.virtuvoice.com/cellsck.asp

Got mine yesterday. I set it up last night and it's working pretty well. I need to see if it will pass the caller ID from the cell phone to the cordless phone. So far that has been my only issue.

Got mine yesterday. I set it up last night and it's working pretty well. I need to see if it will pass the caller ID from the cell phone to the cordless phone. So far that has been my only issue.

Did you get that issue worked out? Your cell still picks up the caller ID right? My home phones are all too old to pick it up anyway, so I have one centrally located ID box hooked in series with the phone. Let us know long term how it works logistically.

Got mine yesterday.  I set it up last night and it's working pretty well.  I need to see if it will pass the caller ID from the cell phone to the cordless phone.  So far that has been my only issue.

Did you get that issue worked out? Your cell still picks up the caller ID right? My home phones are all too old to pick it up anyway, so I have one centrally located ID box hooked in series with the phone. Let us know long term how it works logistically.

Nope -- my GSM phone will not pass caller ID to the cell socket.

Also, it takes about 3 seconds from the time you answer the cordless phone before anyone can hear you. I end up saying "hello" 3-4 times before the line opens.

Also I have not been able to "flash" over to another incoming call like they say I should be able to do. So far that may be the 3rd strike for this product.

Well -- we are sending it back. With a GSM phone the caller ID and "flash" function do not work to get to a caller on hold.

Motorola makes a "cell socket" that works with their cordless home phones. You have to buy their cordless home phone system (at least a base unit) and their cell socket to have it all work. The price for the cell socket portion are about the same and the cordless home phone prices are pretty low so we will switch to this. Motorola says they have better integration between cell and cordless even allowing you to look up address book contacts on the cell phone from the home cordless phone.

Hopefully that will work out better.

Interesting idea. But I think i'll just stick with my Vonage phone.

I looked at the Vonage as well. This way I only pay the $99 for equipment and don't pay the $25 / month. My company pays for my cell phone up to $100 / month so I might as well use what I can.