NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

When rotating assemblies are balanced, do they

Togo

THIS POSTgot me thinking about pi$$ing my money away that i spent on the forged bottom end for the ol' '85!

my question, is, when a rotating assembly is balanced, is it balanced to the specific block? or can it be removed and put in any other block?

as long as i make sure to note which piston is which, i should be OK, correct?

i'm now thinking about Zix and his almost 500HP LT4 beast! it would be nice to have an A4 car that had that much power!

:burnout

Guest Kens06

Chris,

A rotating assembly never gets INTO a block!!

You take eight piston/ring/rod/rod bolt assembly's and weigh them!!

Get those as close as possible to matching. Usually by taking material off the rod!!

With a straight and balanced crank, you have the assembly to put in the block!!

They can go in any hole!!

Did I just say that?? :lol:lol:drinkers

Ken

Chris,

A rotating assembly never gets INTO a block!!

You take eight piston/ring/rod/rod bolt assembly's and weigh them!!

Get those as close as possible to matching. Usually by taking material off the rod!!

With a straight and balanced crank, you have the assembly to put in the block!!

They can go in any hole!!

Ken

thanks Ken, that was my suspicion, but i wanted to verify.

hmmmm, now to find a new hole! :leaving

Guest Simpson36

To add to Kens comments;

Balancing is done on the crankshaft by adding bob weights to the crank journals to simulate your actual piston/rod weight (which hopefully have been made uniform as Ken mentioned).

The crank is then spun and any imbalace is taken out by removing material (drilling) or adding material (heavy metals) to the crankshaft counterweigts.

You can slap your goodies into any block without effecting the balance, but if were me, I'd note the piston locations and keep them the same just in case.

Once you've run the engine a while, then like flat lifters, you want the slugs back in their same holes after a tear down.

To add to Kens comments;

Balancing is done on the crankshaft by adding bob weights to the crank journals to simulate your actual piston/rod weight (which hopefully have been made uniform as Ken mentioned).

The crank is then spun and any imbalace is taken out by removing material (drilling) or adding material (heavy metals) to the crankshaft counterweigts.

You can slap your goodies into any block without effecting the balance, but if were me, I'd note the piston locations and keep them the same just in case.

Once you've run the engine a while, then like flat lifters, you want the slugs back in their same holes after a tear down.

thanks for the info, at this point, it's all moot, i think i have a buyer for my '92, so i'm not doing anything with it.

i also may be pulling that 383 block APART and selling the block seperate from the rotating assembly - i just ne3ed more money out of it, and no one wants to pay me what i have into it, so rather than lose a LOT, i could probably sell the crank, rods, and pistons to ANYONE wanting to build their C4 engine, and maybe i could take a small loss on the block with all the machine work done on it to someone else that wants to start from scratch.

Guest Simpson36

Where have you tried to sell it?

In a perfect world, you could trade it to a seller as partial payment when you buy their car.

I think you'll have a harder time selling if you break it up. You have really good pices there, you just need to expose it to the right people.

Where have you tried to sell it?

In a perfect world, you could trade it to a seller as partial payment when you buy their car.

I think you'll have a harder time selling if you break it up. You have really good pices there, you just need to expose it to the right people.

possibly - i have advetised it here, CF, racingjunk, and a couple other sites - but no luck, i'd rather not try and sell it someplace it will cost money, as i think that's just throwing money away - as i haven't had any luck stlling on FREE sites! :crazy

Guest Simpson36

You could go on the offensive. I was reading the CF today and several guys are getting ready to spend big bucks on new engines.

Somebody who's buying a $1,600 GM crate won't be interested, but there is a guy there now for example who's getting ready to drop $6,500 on a build that your short block would be perfect for. Why not chime in with an offer?

Just a thought.

You could go on the offensive. I was reading the CF today and several guys are getting ready to spend big bucks on new engines.

Somebody who's buying a $1,600 GM crate won't be interested, but there is a guy there now for example who's getting ready to drop $6,500 on a build that your short block would be perfect for. Why not chime in with an offer?

Just a thought.

you don't happen to have a link do you? what forum? c3? c4? tech? forsale?

i'd appreciate the hookup!

thanks

Guest Simpson36

Here is one example:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1363446

Looks like there is room in his budget for your short block.

There are lots of these kings of threads.

What you did is built a race motor for the street. You just need to find someone else that wants the same . . and there are plenty out there.

I definately drool over stuff like you put in that engine, but I would not spend the money unless I planned to seriously abuse the engine with very high RPM or Juice.

If I come across anything promising, I'll try to remember to post it back here for you.

Good luck!

Here is one example:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1363446

Looks like there is room in his budget for your short block.

There are lots of these kings of threads.

What you did is built a race motor for the street. You just need to find someone else that wants the same . . and there are plenty out there.

I definately drool over stuff like you put in that engine, but I would not spend the money unless I planned to seriously abuse the engine with very high RPM or Juice.

If I come across anything promising, I'll try to remember to post it back here for you.

Good luck!

thanks, i appreciate it, i don't spend much time in C3, so any threads like that i'd appreciate a heads up - in fact, if you link a C3 guy to my for sale thread and they bite, i'll pay a finders fee - how's 5% sound?

92ZR1Wannabe
To add to Kens comments;

thanks for the info, at this point, it's all moot, i think i have a buyer for my '92, so i'm not doing anything with it.

i also may be pulling that 383 block APART and selling the block seperate from the rotating assembly - i just ne3ed more money out of it, and no one wants to pay me what i have into it, so rather than lose a LOT, i could probably sell the crank, rods, and pistons to ANYONE wanting to build their C4 engine, and maybe i could take a small loss on the block with all the machine work done on it to someone else that wants to start from scratch.

Don't the L98 motors use a 2 piece rear main whereas the LT1 use a 1 piece?

I do beleive so and that is a different crank. If Chris got the set up for a ZZ4 engine then it is a one piece rear main seal.

However, when we put it together I seem to remember a 2 piece seal in that 383.

I do beleive so and that is a different crank. If Chris got the set up for a ZZ4 engine then it is a one piece rear main seal.

However, when we put it together I seem to remember a 2 piece seal in that 383.

for me to know exactly - i'd have to see if i still have some paperwork left over in the soda flat that all the smaller boxes wound up in.

if that doesn't tell me, then i'm hosed.

i have to get to storage this week anyhow, so i'll see what it's got!