Any photographers out there?

Eddie44

I am looking to take a black and white photo and blow it up to 16x20. What DPI / megipixel would be required to get a good clear picture?

Read this.

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Will tell you everything you need to know.

As you will read it is more about camera sharpness/quality and CCD size then megapixels. If you want the best quality from a digital camera find someone with a modern digital SLR. Canon and Nikon both have great offerings.

You could also take it with any film camera and be totally fine as long as you get the exposure right.

Please post if you have any more questions.

I am looking to take a black and white photo and blow it up to 16x20. What DPI / megipixel would be required to get a good clear picture?

Are you blowing up an existing picture or going to take a digital image in b/w? Most newere digitals can take an original that size.

I'm going to be taking a new pic and blow it up to 16x20 for the wall of my office.

I work for M&I Bank and in our main branch we have a almost century old vault door. It came out of a bank in KY and was built in the earlier 1900. It is about 8 ft tall and weighs 15 tons. I thought a black and white would be more stunning than color.

I think my personal digital camera is a 5+ megapixel but I didn't know if that would give sufficient resolution considering I'm blowing it up that big.

I'm going to be taking a new pic and blow it up to 16x20 for the wall of my office.

I work for M&I Bank and in our main branch we have a almost century old vault door. It came out of a bank in KY and was built in the earlier 1900. It is about 8 ft tall and weighs 15 tons. I thought a black and white would be more stunning than color.

I think my personal digital camera is a 5+ megapixel but I didn't know if that would give sufficient resolution considering I'm blowing it up that big.

I am sure you can borrow or rent a good camera. I've only rented lenses from camera stores but they do cameras too. If you don't know anyone that has one post on one of the big camera forums. Offer some cash or beer or w/e and I am sure someone in the Phoenix area would be happy to bring down a high end camera and take a great picture for you if you assure them it is for personal use. Either of these would be a great option to get a the best photo you can.

What 5mp camera do you have? Smaller point and shoot 5 MP or larger SLR type? You can also check out a decent print store that does blows up images. Shouldn't cost much at all and you can get good results.

Honestly, I would try with your camera. 5mp should be fine and even if the image is a bit soft I doubt you will notice unless you compare it to a higher quality camera. Should look great. Then send the file to someone good at photoshop and get a good black and white made. I'd be happy to try and make a good B&W for you. Then try printing it and see what happens. At worse you are out a bit for the print.

My camera is a Sony point and shoot, not SLR. I have a decent 35mm SLR if that would be better. If so what BW film would you use? I appreciate the offer to try printing. I'll let you know when I see how it comes out. :thumbs

Eddie,

Talk with Steve's son, Brad, he has a D70 I believe. He can take a picture for what you are looking for.

If you can wait, I can have my Sister in Law take the picture next time she is in town. She never leaves home with out her cameras.

Phil... :devil

My camera is a Sony point and shoot, not SLR. I have a decent 35mm SLR if that would be better. If so what BW film would you use? I appreciate the offer to try printing. I'll let you know when I see how it comes out. :thumbs

I am not too big in film but you will want some ~100ISO/ASA black and white film

Kodak PROFESSIONAL PLUS-X 125 Film is popular and easy to get. Should look great. ILFORD FP4 Plus at 100ASA would be great too.

With a sony point and shoot I am thinking the results would be less then steller at 5mp.

Cheers

Of course you could always remove the color with any photoshop program...

Eddie,

If you go digital - I'm all set up to print with our HP - 5500. It's a 6 color printer but we never tried any B&W...might be fun to try. we can go up to 42" by 150'!

I did do a 36" x 24" print of the "Rat Pack" on my ENCAD 4 color printer, in sepia. It came out real nice. The file was kind of small, but the grain helped make it more "retro".