C5 Clutch suggestions

NoWorries

Thought I might get a couple months on the stock clutch after the Procharger install. Apparently not so much lol. Curious what others have gone with and experiences for various brands etc. Tried doing a search and only came up with one solid suggestion. Being the Textralia OZ700 Z Grip Clutch. Shooting for 480rwhp, so I figure something rated around 550rwhp or so.

Im a big fan of the Textralia clutches. I ran one in my vette and am running one in my camaro right now. Ive also heard some good things about the monster clutches. Ive installed 2 of the mcleod twin disks that use the factory flywheel and they drive like stock and hold up good. It depends on how picky u are with pedal feel/response.

If you have teh cash, a Tex clutch is the way to go. If you need to save money, an LS7 clutch should be up to the task of a 550RWHP street driven car. If you beat on the car a lot or plan to use drag radials, just get the Tex.

I have drag radials on as my everyday street tire lol So it sounds like the Tex really is the way to go then. Although not looking forward to the install. Seems a bit more difficult than on an old Muncie :willy

I have drag radials on as my everyday street tire lol

So it sounds like the Tex really is the way to go then. Although not looking forward to the install. Seems a bit more difficult than on an old Muncie :willy

Im running the MT ET radials with skinnies up front....everyday lol. But honestly the clucth swap in a vette isnt that bad after u do about 200 of them lol.

Ya, the clutch install sounds far more intimidating than it really is. Everything is easy to get to, everything is really straightforward.

Do I hear volunteers? lol It just won't be fun due to not having all my tools here at the house yet. And the garage is already being occupied by my other project. Once I sell the bike, might be able to squeeze them both in.

I run Textralias too. I have an exo-skel in the Z and a Z grip in the camaro. The exo-skel bites HARD but it is very unforgiving. The Z grip is much more friendly on the street but it is a single disc cluth - plenty to handle 550. :2cents

Guest LOUDMIKE

For this application I would put the C6 Z06 clutch in. It will handle the power and is a lot more of a daily driver type setup. It is also not that hard on the pocket book. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want it to launch hard and with stand 1/4 mile launches then my suggestion is the Tex. You want to race you put in race parts. You want a daily driver you put in daily driver parts. As far as the install goes it is not that is really difficult but I would by no means attempt to do on jack stands in my garage. The rear cradle, rear end, transmission and torque tube has to come out. Not rocket science but not easy either. I have come to the conclusion that my time is worth something. IF it would take me 2 days to do the same thing it would take an experienced professional to do in half the time, it is worth looking into.

Mike is right on the ls7 being more a daily driver clutch! i almost broke my clutch pedal coming from my Tex to the ls7! But i will soon put a zr1 or tex in my c6z06 when i do my power adders! 650 rwhp here i come!

For this application I would put the C6 Z06 clutch in. It will handle the power and is a lot more of a daily driver type setup. It is also not that hard on the pocket book. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want it to launch hard and with stand 1/4 mile launches then my suggestion is the Tex. You want to race you put in race parts. You want a daily driver you put in daily driver parts.

As far as the install goes it is not that is really difficult but I would by no means attempt to do on jack stands in my garage. The rear cradle, rear end, transmission and torque tube has to come out. Not rocket science but not easy either. I have come to the conclusion that my time is worth something. IF it would take me 2 days to do the same thing it would take an experienced professional to do in half the time, it is worth looking into.

Sooo you are saying once I get the clutch, I should use your car lift right? Awesome, thanks :thumbs

My only concern with the LS7 clutch is the issue FNBAD had at the track. On I think the 3rd pass, his clutch pedal went right to the floor and he was stuck in gear until it cooled. It wasn't even hot lapped, being a decent amount of time between runs. I don't mind a harder pedal to prevent something like that happening. I have a twin disc in the Camino even.

Ls7 clutch is good if your never going to run a sticky tire. Once that clutch gets any heat in it, its done. I love the text z but for some it might not be the greatest for daily driving depending on your driving ability/style. The Mcleod twin is still an organic faced which will drive like stock and hold up to a lot more. The ZR1 clutch will not work in anything by an LS9 based engine unless you do quite a bit of machining.

I have heard the McLeod clutches get alot of chatter. The twin disk I have for the Camino is a Ram setup. But haven't finished the install due to not all my tools being here yet. Also thinking a new slave cylinder, bleeder kit, and hose moddification to get rid of the factory hose issue. The hose issue I am mentioning is the under sized hole restriction the factory put in to slow the clutch engagement. To help keep from shocking the trans or rear when side stepping the clutch etc.

I have heard the McLeod clutches get alot of chatter. The twin disk I have for the Camino is a Ram setup. But haven't finished the install due to not all my tools being here yet. Also thinking a new slave cylinder, bleeder kit, and hose moddification to get rid of the factory hose issue.

The hose issue I am mentioning is the under sized hole restriction the factory put in to slow the clutch engagement. To help keep from shocking the trans or rear when side stepping the clutch etc.

http://www.mcleodracing.com/products/RST+Twin+Disc.mcl

this is the clutch Im talking about. Ive put in 2 the last month (one c5 and one c6) and they drive very close to stock. Both owners were super happy with them. I have yet to do the "drill mod" for the factory line. As long as you have a good working master/slave and clutch there shouldnt be a problem. Im also running the tick master. I didnt think people side stepped clutches anymore lol.

I have heard the McLeod clutches get alot of chatter. The twin disk I have for the Camino is a Ram setup. But haven't finished the install due to not all my tools being here yet. Also thinking a new slave cylinder, bleeder kit, and hose moddification to get rid of the factory hose issue.

The hose issue I am mentioning is the under sized hole restriction the factory put in to slow the clutch engagement. To help keep from shocking the trans or rear when side stepping the clutch etc.

I have a Tex Exo in my vette and it chatters like Michael J Fox in the winter. It holds my power, but isn't a clutch I would buy again. I would go back to Spec before going Tex again. Just my experience with the Tex twin disk setup.

For this application I would put the C6 Z06 clutch in. It will handle the power and is a lot more of a daily driver type setup. It is also not that hard on the pocket book. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want it to launch hard and with stand 1/4 mile launches then my suggestion is the Tex. You want to race you put in race parts. You want a daily driver you put in daily driver parts.

As far as the install goes it is not that is really difficult but I would by no means attempt to do on jack stands in my garage. The rear cradle, rear end, transmission and torque tube has to come out. Not rocket science but not easy either. I have come to the conclusion that my time is worth something. IF it would take me 2 days to do the same thing it would take an experienced professional to do in half the time, it is worth looking into.

Sooo you are saying once I get the clutch, I should use your car lift right? Awesome, thanks :thumbs

My only concern with the LS7 clutch is the issue FNBAD had at the track. On I think the 3rd pass, his clutch pedal went right to the floor and he was stuck in gear until it cooled. It wasn't even hot lapped, being a decent amount of time between runs. I don't mind a harder pedal to prevent something like that happening. I have a twin disc in the Camino even.

OEM LS7 clutch/pressure plate combo is definetly not a drag race setup....it doen't care to be "slipped" which builds heat in the pressure plate and loses clamping power.

I'm going to the Katech LS9X setup in my car when the time comes, but I don't think that's an option for C5 cars.

JNMMotorsports

I've tried a lot of different clutches and my favorite to this day is the Textralia Z-Grip. My car was making 790tq and it held up fine.