Catch can...worth the cash?

fourseventeen

Dude, I am absolutely not discounting what you say, the LS1 and LS6 do exhibit some pretty serious nastiness in the intake. But this really hasn't been a nearly as big an issue since the crankcase ventilation got a re-design in 2005.

And that's why I justified it by saying that on the LS1 I know it's worth it, but was not sure on the LS2, 3, or 7. :lol

The LS3 block has the latest ventilation design. GM even did some slight changes in '09 to improve it again. That's probably why I only use less than 1/2 quart in 12-13K miles. It just not sucking oil through the intake.

Are you telling me after reading 75 posts on a catch can now I don't need one for my LS3??? You really know how to disappoint a guy Tom! :toetap

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fourseventeen

• Two Fangs

• FNBADAZ06

• ELESWUN

Dude, I am absolutely not discounting what you say, the LS1 and LS6 do exhibit some pretty serious nastiness in the intake. But this really hasn't been a nearly as big an issue since the crankcase ventilation got a re-design in 2005.

And that's why I justified it by saying that on the LS1 I know it's worth it, but was not sure on the LS2, 3, or 7. :lol

The LS3 block has the latest ventilation design. GM even did some slight changes in '09 to improve it again. That's probably why I only use less than 1/2 quart in 12-13K miles. It just not sucking oil through the intake.

Are you telling me after reading 75 posts on a catch can now I don't need one for my LS3??? You really know how to disappoint a guy Tom! :toetap

Read post #8 again. The disappointment came early. You can still have one for bling, just don't bother hooking up the hoses. :smilelol

Be glad you don't need one then Eddie. I wish I didn't, it's a small pain to deal with and some times messy getting it emptied and then put back in. Because of my N2O set-up I could not put it in conveniently. Had to use long hoses to install it up by the front bumper area.

Be glad you don't need one then Eddie. I wish I didn't, it's a small pain to deal with and some times messy getting it emptied and then put back in.

Because of my N2O set-up I could not put it in conveniently. Had to use long hoses to install it up by the front bumper area.

Adding the hose length contributed to your problem. Now the vapors have a greater opportunity to condense to liquid, so draining is required more frequently.

According to some sources, GM recognized crankcase ventilation was marginal with the LS1, but didn't get real serious with it until the more powerful LS2/LS7 engine exacerbated the problem. Federal oil requirements were also changing during the same time which probably pushed all manufacturers to visit those areas. In designing the LS3 block it gave opportunities to correct the deficiencies of the LS2/LS7, so the LS9 version could support far more power than a FI LS7. Part of the design to help create the extra HP was more efficient flow of crankcase air with a minimum amount of oil vaporization.

With the synthetics having about half the concern of conventional oils to create carbon deposits and the reduction of Zinc/Phosphorus, ingested oil vapors are not the issue that they were in the past.

The bottom line is simple. If your car uses excessive oil (more than a quart in 5,000 miles) and is not leaking, then add a large catch can and keep track of how much it captures. If the catch can doesn't capture all the excess, then you have problems someplace else.

Anything less than a quart/5K useage doesn't need a catch can unless bling is desired.

I would do it. I had one on my GTO and when you open it up for the first time and see all the oil in it you wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I'm just trying to figure out now if my old GTO one will work on the Z.

I would do it. I had one on my GTO and when you open it up for the first time and see all the oil in it you wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I'm just trying to figure out now if my old GTO one will work on the Z.

You'll just have to figure out mounting. A catch can is a catch can. Some make them "specifically" for the vette...but that's just mounting hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

alright... based on this thread I'm convinced having one of these is a good idea. However, I can't decide which one of these two to order: http://www.theredlion.us/Ecans.htm http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com/Billet_PCV_Catch_Cans.html (the Gen2 version) Seems like the Norris one gives you better fittings for a lower price. Also, from the pictures it looks like it might have a drain plug on the bottom (rather than twist and remove the whole catch can), but I can't tell for sure from the pics and there's no mention on the website. I'm leaning towards Norris unless someone can provide a good reason to go with the other one. Suggestions please? Thanks!

alright... based on this thread I'm convinced having one of these is a good idea. However, I can't decide which one of these two to order:

http://www.theredlion.us/Ecans.htm

http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com/Billet_PCV_Catch_Cans.html (the Gen2 version)

Seems like the Norris one gives you better fittings for a lower price. Also, from the pictures it looks like it might have a drain plug on the bottom (rather than twist and remove the whole catch can), but I can't tell for sure from the pics and there's no mention on the website.

I'm leaning towards Norris unless someone can provide a good reason to go with the other one. Suggestions please?

Thanks!

We have always used the first one. I think it is cleaner to twist the can off and dump it out rather than a drain plug. With the little bit of space in these cars now a days this is the best one we have seen and used.

fourseventeen

yup gotta agree...I like the twist one better then the petcock drain at the bottom.

I have the Norris one but the AMW/Elite, etc cans work well too. I actually checked mine for the first time the other day (about 1200 miles since adding it), and there was maybe 3 tablespoons worth inside. I also pulled the air intake, opened the throttle body and wiped the inside of the intake with my finger.............bone dry.

• 3 weeks later...
fourseventeen

finally kicked down and bought one. I got the one from Elite Eng. I must say, wow...this is a VERY high quality well designed piece! Glad I decided to get the can from Elite.