• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ELESWUN

• Two Fangs

• FNBADAZ06

• fourseventeen

That unit looks over priced. It is just an air/oil separator. Lots of them on Jegs or Summit. Some new ones have drain valves instead of having to unscrew the bottom/cup to empty. And there are plenty for less money. It just runs the air through a screen with a cup to catch the oil. Good idea to keep the oil out of the intake, but not something that needs alot of money put into it. Such as this one for $70 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDA-555-3710/?rtype=10 This tig welded one is $100 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-85471/?rtype=10 Another for under $50 http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52205/10002/-1

With the eye candy you've got going on on the rest of your car, I say do the $150 can. The other's look to serve the purpose, but the one you've posted looks a heck of a lot better.

With the eye candy you've got going on on the rest of your car, I say do the $150 can. The other's look to serve the purpose, but the one you've posted looks a heck of a lot better.

Yeah kind of what I was just noticing myself. those other cheapers ones LOOK cheaper. Sure they serve the same purpose but I want mine to look good doin it. lol. My main concern was...is there really a need for one of these on a street car.

Yeah kind of what I was just noticing myself. those other cheapers ones LOOK cheaper. Sure they serve the same purpose but I want mine to look good doin it. lol. My main concern was...is there really a need for one of these on a street car.

It seems that it's a pretty popular item for the LS2 & LS7 cars, but not for the LS3's. The LS3 block has a different design for how the lower end breathes. I don't know how much is need or want. Some people enjoy dressing up the engine and some just want it functional. Obviously GM didn't see a problem or it would have already been there, unlike aftermarket performance items.

It seems that it's a pretty popular item for the LS2 & LS7 cars, but not for the LS3's. The LS3 block has a different design for how the lower end breathes. I don't know how much is need or want. Some people enjoy dressing up the engine and some just want it functional. Obviously GM didn't see a problem or it would have already been there, unlike aftermarket performance items.

Really depends on how hard you push the car. Oli has one on his car, and while driven pretty hard at times, he see's very little oil trapped. On the other hand, if you decide to run HPDE's where high g and sustained higher rpm is the norm, a catch can is almost mandatory. I've also seen cars that where never tracked, but when the intake manifold was pulled for repair or upgrade it was amazing how much oil collected in there.

FYI - I will be installing one on my car as well...more for purpose but I will opt for the really nice looking anodized units sold by Talon90 on the big forum.

FYI - I will be installing one on my car as well...more for purpose but I will opt for the really nice looking anodized units sold by Talon90 on the big forum.

Talon90 is the seller of the one I have linked above. That is the link from his CF ad to his website.

yup i give it about a year or so then prices on the ZR1 will be affordable. Vic...wonder if we can get a deal with Talon90 if we order ours both at the same time and ship to one of our places together. Im gonna ask him :thumbs

Id say get a catch can. These cars are notorious for sucking oil into the intake. All the cars at my work have quite a bit of oil in the intake, tb, etc. One of the problems is it gets on the MAF and causes the car to misfire and run poorly. Also having oil running through the intake will get dumped into the cylinders and thats no good as well since it will cause detonation as well as contaminating your plugs/carbon build up. Its woorth the investment. I run a Norris Motorsports catch can on my car and its one of the cheaper ones but is still a great design and looks good too. Some of the cheaper ones arent built with the correct baffling and such.

Posted Image

Ill take that fast intake and fuel rails too please ;) LOL. This Norris Motorsports can...did it come with black fittings or you paint or have those powdercoated? Ill have to check out their kit too...it doesnt look bad.

Ill take that fast intake and fuel rails too please ;) LOL. This Norris Motorsports can...did it come with black fittings or you paint or have those powdercoated? Ill have to check out their kit too...it doesnt look bad.

I dont think the intake will do so well on your car since it has cathedral ports lol. The can came with standard brass fittings and hose. I did everything in AN so I got all the fittings myself. The can is black anodized. I think they offer a few other colors and its under 100 bucks.

so where can I find the black barbed fittings? =D I want my catch can in black (unless I decide to have it painted AO) and I want the fittings in black for sure. Like how you did the black braided lines too.

so where can I find the black barbed fittings? =D I want my catch can in black (unless I decide to have it painted AO) and I want the fittings in black for sure. Like how you did the black braided lines too.

well those arent barbed like the ones included in the kit. Its all -AN stuff. The end really add up if you get carried away like I did. I think I spent around $300 in line and fitting and I even had some I needed. They sell the ends in all black as well. I get all my stuff from Parker hose off Broadway and 32nd I believe. Lopers sells it as well. Its pricey but makes the engine bay look a lot neater.

id be happy with black fittings and the black braided line for just the catch can for now =D what will that cost me...any idea?

well it depends on what fitting angles u use. I think a 90 degree fitting is about 10 bucks and a 45 is double that just to give u an idea on the fluctuation in price between fittings. Id estimate around 100 or so in line and fittings.

100.00 for line and fittings just for the catch can...holy sh*t!!! Guess I wont be doing that option. Ted, I did win the lotto....5 bucks on a $10.00 scratcher ticket this past week, how did you know!?

100.00 for line and fittings just for the catch can...holy sh*t!!! Guess I wont be doing that option.

Ted, I did win the lotto....5 bucks on a $10.00 scratcher ticket this past week, how did you know!?

-AN fitting noob !!!! :smilelol

Welcome to the world of "high performance", grasshopper :3gears:

100.00 for line and fittings just for the catch can...holy sh*t!!! Guess I wont be doing that option.

Ted, I did win the lotto....5 bucks on a $10.00 scratcher ticket this past week, how did you know!?

-AN fitting noob !!!! :smilelol

Welcome to the world of "high performance", grasshopper :3gears:

Heck I guess so lol. Thats some serious cash for 12" of hose and a couple of aluminum fittings. Guess rubber line and black barb fittings are gonna have to do for now. Cant see spending the same amount of cash on a foot of line as I am on the entire oil catch can.