Anatomy of a 1/4 run with FNBADAZ06

FNBADAZ06

Now that I know you can datalog, I'll show you a couple of things to try that'll clip a tenth or two off your ET for less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

I hope you show him how to knock those IATs down and put some timing back in that car, oy.

Exactly! :thumbs

The race teams had a local weather station on hand for their tuning sessions; local track conditions were just over 100 degrees, 21% humidity and 29.6 in-Hg thru 9:30 p.m. We were running at 4700+ feet DA :banghead

Without having a modified shroud via a Vararam or equivalent, I see IAT's approximately 5 degree over ambient when in motion on the highway. Even with a modified air path for last night, you're at 100+ IAT's right at startup so nothing short of a chemical intercooler (meth) was going to help. With the factory setup, I need 80 degree ambient before I see no timing pulled for the stock IAT tables, which are set to start pulling at 86 degrees. I have a Halltech KillerBee/Bee Hive combo "CAI" but in reality the Bee Hive attempts to seal the air supply from the underhood hot air in an attempt to control IAT's...no modification to the factory "airbox/shroud" or ramair effect from this setup.

You can see from what I posted for IAT's while making the run, temps at the traps were still above 100 degrees. I wasn't monitoring my MAF readings, but at 29.6 you know I was driving in some really thin air.

Where I got KILLED for timimg was the launch and the first 660'( the area I can LEAST afford the timing pull, low TORQUE numbers for accelerating the car from a dead stop)...once I'm moving at a good clip the factory setup started performing and IAT's were at or near ambient....I wasn't going to see anything better than 16 degrees of timing. At that point in time the damage is already done...my 1/8 mile ET and MPH is REAL low at 7.80 and 92.96 MPH respectively. That's why I'm the only fool running during the summer and Tom and the other smart one's wait for fall and spring :lol:thumbs

Even with the Vararam, I log IAT about 6-8 over ambiant on the line and it takes to the 1/8th to get down to ambiant. When timing starts being pulled due to high IAT, you can't learn much because the consistancy is gone. Unless ambiant is less than 80 degrees, RT practice is all you can count on.

I went to Tucson last year and ran .4 slower than the week before at Firebird. Tucson is at 3075' el. and had 4500-4800DA compared to the 2000-2200 at Firebird. The good thing is that the disappointment in Tucson will be more than offset by the elation in Sac this year. :yesnod

Is it an HPTuners file? If so, post that sucker.

Parker,

Would you believe that this run was logged via the ODBII port via an app called Rev on the iPhone ?!!!!!!

The jet car crew and the race car guys couldn't believe it !!!! I hooked it to a fellow racer's ODB port on a Mustang C/S built by Steeda (?) to see how close the data was compared to his HPTuner equipped laptop logging and was impressed !!! I can only monitor 5 delta's on the screen at a time, and I only get 4 cycles per second but it tells me quite a bit on what's going on. I think I sold 4 copies of the app for DevToaster last night :banannadance:

Rev for iPhone

That is pretty cool.