Speed cameras...

Donbecker

...if I'm driving a rental and I get popped will I still get a ticket?

Think one on northbound scottsdale road this morning flashed me.

:bs:banghead

i believe so - i think the rental car companies are obligated to forward your information on to local law enforcement in the event of such infractions.

Yes they are-and they do. From one who knows....but you don't have to pay. It's as simple as ignoring the thing. ;)

Good luck.

M~

Guest Kens06

I wouldn't fret Don!!

Whoever rented the car, is not necessarily the driver at the time of the infraction!!

That is one of many reasons why the rate for POSSIBLE procecution is 23%!!

Last time I looked, that was the percent they were going to serve of the almost 16K photos!!

Ken

HOWEVER, do not accept or sign for a certified letter you don't expect and beware of the unknown person knocking on your door with papers in his had and not your pizza!!

Ken

yeah until they serve you thay have no proof that you received the ticket. if they serve anyone at your registere residence its as good as serving you though.

Let's turn this hypothetical then...

For example,

Let's say someone rents a car.

Let's say that the car speeds past a camera and is snapped.

Should this completely theoretical person just simply not sign for anything and not pay any notice of fines?

This theoretical person is probably more concerned about insurance versus $.

Guest Kens06

I would tell my imaginary friend that he is on the right track!

They also have to serve you within 120 days of the infraction!!

BUT!! That is just what I would do!! :drinkers:drinkers

I want someone with the time and $$ to challenge this shit, to get popped!!

I just don't get the idea of a private company making the decision on who gets prosecuted?? "OH shit out of state plates no reciprocal agreement, no money there!" in the trash...................

AHAH! "A local!! Get this over to the mailroom right away! Tag it certified, so if they don't sign we can send it to the server pile!"

If I get pulled over by a LEO! I probably was going more than the ticket, depending on how I treated him, and the conditions! The cameras doesn't carry a DPS badge and neither do the people screening the film! It's a company, at the city of Scottsdale's request, out to make a buck on a state roadway using their (Scottsdale) set in stone judgement of what is "Just and Prudent' speed!!

NO, I haven't gotten popped, the concept just pisses me off!!

And I live here!! :mad

Ken

i had a thought or 2 on this topic -

if the cameras are set to nab you at 11mph over - isn't that setting a bad precedence for other freeways

in some way isn't that saying that it is ok to drive 11mph over the posted speed on any highway

i had a thought or 2 on this topic -

if the cameras are set to nab you at 11mph over - isn't that setting a bad precedence for other freeways

in some way isn't that saying that it is ok to drive 11mph over the posted speed on any highway

anybody that is familiar with LE will admit to you that they rarily if ever cite for less than 11 over in any circumstance. In the my LE day I rarily cited for less than 15 and it had to be extremely hazardous then. Just to account for speedo (not bathing suits) error they give some over.

I will again go into the speed laws in AZ (except on the interstate highways) is "reasonable and prudent". You can be cited for under as well as over the speed limit depending on conditions. The speed limits are just a guide to whats "reasonable and prudent" under normal conditions.

i got nabbed by a red light camera a couple years ago. i was following someone in an area i was unfamiliar with. my cousin and i both said the same thing when we saw the flash go off. "damn that was a short yellow". i got to researching and found out the whole thing is run by an independant company that gets paid by numbers of infractions. i also learned that they shorten the time of the yellow light when thei install the cameras. scam if i have ever heard of one.

LOL! Ok, I'll give credit where credit is due... :thumbs You dog...Dawg! That's way funny though, good one. :smilelol I almost spilled my coffee when I saw it.

Guest kinyu

I was sent on a business trip to New Jersey and was nabbed by a toll booth camera (I didn?t know there were toll booths, so I just ran through it.)

The ticket made it all the way home to Phoenix :banghead

Guest Subseven

You know about this stuff? PhotoBlocker Some of you guys should try this out, get nabbed doing some ridiculous speed, and see if you get the ticket. It looks like it would work. But then again, it could be another rip off product?

You know about this stuff? PhotoBlocker Some of you guys should try this out, get nabbed doing some ridiculous speed, and see if you get the ticket. It looks like it would work. But then again, it could be another rip off product?

i'm not gonna be a guinea pig for that one - however, i think phil had someone else in the group pick him up a really good one that is actually sold by a LEO out west somewhere

i hadn't heard if he got it yet, but i'd be interested to do a few tests with a digital camera

i also heard that NEON would "burn" the image (the only legal color for the rear would be red) a red neon wouldn't be that bad - in fact, you could use it only when driving through towns with photo radar - this i would like to test as well!

:burnout

If I were you I would stick with the neons and other things that don't actually change the license plate. Plates are owned by the government and changing them would be defacing government property. The chances are slim that they would actually do anything about it but if you get snapped a few times in the same place I wouldn't feel to safe. Would be terrible to get some massive fine for damaging government stuff + your tickets.

I saw an ad at a gas pump the other day for the photo blocker....someone had written in silver on top of it that it didn't work.

Here is my latest idea for dodging the cameras...what about auto-darkening welding glass (like what is used on welding helmets)?

The switchover time is in the miliseconds. Wondering how long the reaction time for the cameras are...

I saw an ad at a gas pump the other day for the photo blocker....someone had written in silver on top of it that it didn't work.

Here is my latest idea for dodging the cameras...what about auto-darkening welding glass (like what is used on welding helmets)?

The switchover time is in the miliseconds. Wondering how long the reaction time for the cameras are...

Your average digital camera has a 1/500 second flash and shutter speed sync. Film cameras without electronic shutter control are usually about 1/125th of a second.

The flash goes while the shutter is open of course. I don't think the auto darkening would work as the film/digital ccd would already be exposed to the bright reflection off your plate and then the plate would dim. It would have to be fast enough that when the light from the flash goes through and hits your plate it cannot come back out.

Quoted from the Miller welding site...

Our mid-range welding helmet, the XLix is an excellent choice for hobbyists to professionals. The 1/20,000 second Performance Series lens provides excellent clarity and low-amperage TIG arc response

Other sites...

Since high-quality auto-darkening helmets provide UV and IR protection even when the helmet is not activated, you are always protected. However, for maximum comfort, look for a high quality helmet that has a response darkening time of 4/10ths of a millisecond.

Some companies measure how fast their helmet changes from shade 4 to 8 and then tell you their helmet changes in 1/25,000th of a second.

From the most expensive helmut I could find...

Intellisense technology: allows unit to detect welds less than 5 amps

Clear Vue light state: allows you to keep helmet down at all times

Fastest switching speed in the world 1/25000

All of the sites had the same 5 amp rating, I think the problem would be finding a camera with an almost 5amp flash..

Heres the largest lens I could find, and it's even solar powered.

xg-511.jpg

Auto Darkening Lense Fits Standard 4-1/2" x 5-1/4" Helmets Solar Shade 11

Viewing: 1.80" x 3.75"

Dark: Shade 11

Speed: .5 milliseconds

Dimensions: 4-1/2" x 5-1/4" x .197"

UV/IR Protection: Shade 13

Light State: Shade 3

Yours today for only $80.00 :toetap

• 1 year later...

i had to bring this back up to the top just to ask

is there any change in the SOP - if i just ignore it, will it go away????

(yes i got nabbed last night with a photo radar in scottsdale on pima just east / north of the 101) scared the sh!t outta me - i thought it was lightning!!!!

so what's the verdict? :bang

ignore any and all letters? i'm not expecting anything certified - any time soon, so i think i'm covered in that area

I got popped by one in the Chevy truck. The truck was registered in my company's name. I went to the court to sign up for a fun day of traffic school. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "I have a citation and would like to attend traffic school."

Court Clerk: "This isn't in your name."

Me: "I know, it's my company."

Court Clerk: "If it's not in your name you don't have to pay this. Wait to see if something arrives in your name."

Me: ~bewildered look~

Me: Turning around and leaving

She never even asked about who was driving. They sent 2 more notices to the company, then it went away.

Strange indeed.

Guest Kens06

At that location, you got hammered by one of Scottsdale's 'little white vans'!!

You were shot with REAL radar, not road sensors with mulitple autos in the same space.

I don't know if this is reviewed by a third party or not.

I wouldn't pay the fine after the first notice!!

Go back to earlier posts and follow those guidelines!!

See how much you were over and see if it's worth playing dodgeball!!

Ken

At that location, you got hammered by one of Scottsdale's 'little white vans'!!

You were shot with REAL radar, not road sensors with mulitple autos in the same space.

I don't know if this is reviewed by a third party or not.

I wouldn't pay the fine after the first notice!!

Go back to earlier posts and follow those guidelines!!

See how much you were over and see if it's worth playing dodgeball!!

Ken

never got a photo ticket before - i thought i was smarter than that! :leaving

will the first notice come via postal mail? and NOT by registered mail?