Alpine Drive

Guest XLR8TNC5

Guest XLR8TNC5

Anyone interested in joining up with Doug and a few of his friends to take a ride through Alpine? I know he plans ot have his EVO ready by then and there will probably be a few more of those along as well, but he has opened up an invitation to all of us if we are interested. I know he had a great time with all of us on Saturday and he was a great copilot for me. So, let me know if anyone is interested.

STEVE< it is a SUNDAY drive.

Here is a pic he sent me of what the roads look like on the drive.....

post-7-1144073297.jpg

Guest UVETTYA

A SUNDAY DRIVE? YAHOO! :thumbs. Count us IN!

We took a drive through Alpine not too long ago. It's a very long trip, and we spent the night in Safford on the way back. Would this be an overnight trip? If so, there are a few neat resorts to spend the night at up there. One has several rooms with hot tubs in the room. :yesnod

If you like twisties, this is the cruise for you. About 70 miles of twisties, and there are huge signs posted that say the roads are NOT patrolled on weekends.

Did you hear that Phil, Mark and Chris? :leaving

Steve

I use to live in Clifton AZ and have traveled many times in the White Mountains. I use to know where the DPS always sat. It has been many years since I have been up there.

Looks like a fun time if I can make it.

Phil... :devil

Damn! That sounds like a great trip, but we will be in FL chasing the little white ball around the cow pasture. Have fun. :leaving:cool

Sounds doable. I think that I'm on call the week between this and the Prescott run. If that's the case I'm in for both. :cool Robert :burnout

and there are huge signs posted that say the roads are NOT patrolled on weekends.

Did you hear that Phil, Mark and Chris? :leaving

Steve

It's a trick :D

Guest XLR8TNC5

I will call Doug in the morning and ask him about the overnight idea.

I know I want to go. And I am pretty sure Mark will go as well. Looks really cool.I have never been through the White Mountains.

Tanya

Guest UVETTYA

Ok, let's go! I don't think a date was mentioned for the original cruise, but ef we plan a few weeks in advance, we can probably reserve hotel rooms in Alpine. There are some really nice resorts up there and the weather will be cool. How does Sunday April 23rd sound?

Steve

Ok, let's go! I don't  think a date was mentioned for the original cruise, but ef we plan a few weeks in advance, we can probably reserve hotel rooms in Alpine. There are some really nice resorts up there and the weather will be cool. How does Sunday April 23rd sound?

Steve

May 7th was the original date. We can do that or April 30th. The 23rd will not work for us.

Gary

I'm not opposed to April or May but it sounds like a great summer cruise. Weather's still apt to be a bit cold until the end of May or early June.

Guest UVETTYA

Ok then gang, I need some help here putting this together. I'm not much of an organizer.

Frankly I can go any Sunday, so it's you slackers that will make it hard to decide on a date. :D So let's have some input.

Forward looking we have May 7, 14, 21, 28. Eddie's right about the weather, but it won't be "cold" up there, merely cool.

If this goes too long without a general consensus concerning a date, then I'll just pick one and go with whomever can make it and the rest of you will have to be happy with watching the vid. :P

So I'll step up and suggest... May 21th. That's 6 weeks out. That should give everyone time to plan. If we get a head count soon enough, I'll have time to get info/pricing and reserve some rooms at one of the resorts up there.

Who's in?

Steve

I'm in for the 21st! Easiest way to do these things is through a date out and go with it unless someone comes up with a conflicting Vette event that will limit participation. If we do it on a Sunday most of us will probably have to make it a one day event. If I could make a suggestion we should go up one route and come back another. Get different scenery that way.

Guest UVETTYA

Eddie, the problem with a one day cruise is that, according to mapquest, from my house it's 5 hours and 267.37 miles. And that's one way. If you go up through Payson and Show Low and come back through Globe, or even the same way you go up, that's a 10 hr cruise not counting rest stops/ lunch etc..

Map:

http://tinyurl.com/zgwkm

If you continue on you have to come back down through Safford on 191 (which is mostly twisties all the way) it's another 3 hours and 142 miles just to Safford, and there are lots and lots of neat places to stop and take pictures and/or enjoy the view. This is, in my opinion, the best part of the trip.

Map:

http://tinyurl.com/ezjpx

And from Safford to Phoenix is another 3 hours and 165 miles.

So the total trip is 550 miles if you come back the same way or through Globe, and 575 miles if you do a round trip. That's why I would recommend an overnight stop in Alpine.

This isn't a cruise for wooses. :D But, it's absolutely georgeous scenery and great roads all the way.

Steve

well we don't have to do this run - we COULD do the run to that place we had lunch at with the group a while back - johnny angels - that's it!

we could do that one - it was a decent drive up through globe then back through payson or whatever!

that would be cool, and i'm down for a sunday drive!

well we don't have to do this run - we COULD do the run to that place we had lunch at with the group a while back - johnny angels - that's it!

we could do that one - it was a decent drive up through globe then back through payson or whatever!

that would be cool, and i'm down for a sunday drive!

Any of the above work for us.

Gary

Let me know if you decide to do the Show Low/Pinetop run again, and I will try to get a few vettes up here to meet you.

So is this going to turn into the Show Low cruise like last year?

So is this going to turn into the Show Low cruise like last year?

Sounds like it might be! The Alpine thing would take two days. Most of us can do it Sat/Sun but Steve and Mary Lou can only do it Sun/Mon. We know we can do the Showlow trip in one day and it sounds like most are okay with Sun.

Just think Dawg, you could combine it with another Flagstaff trip! :lol