NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Kooks repair question

Togo

as many of you have probably seen already (the picture below)

i posted the following thread over in C5 Tech so i thought i'd throw it out to our trusted mechanics of ACE and see what they say......

What's the warranty on headers - and is it transferrable?

and who can perform warranty repair? and if i have a piece welded on - will that void the warranty?

i seem to have misplaced the AIR tube and the block plate off the passenger side header and want to have someone repair it rather than removing it (labor costs ya know) and then it won't be down while they remove the header and send it back for repair - it would be nice to get the original piece welded back in, but for all i care, a small piece of metal can be welded over that hole, i don't need an AIR tube - but it might be nice to have one for install at a later date

can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

so what say any of you - mechanics or people with kooks experience (or paperwork)

post-3-1143949903.jpg

92ZR1Wannabe

If the headers are stainless steel (which they look to be) It could be easily repaired via a patch , or whatever was there in the first place.

A TIG welder would be what i would use to fix it. And hell , it would probably be better then it was before (IE won't fall apart)

As for the warrenty question, Even if it WAS covered under the warrenty (which it may or maynot be ,, who knows) do you wanna pay to have that thing taken off , sent off , repaired , then put back on? All for a weld that will take 60 seconds to do? (Cause from that picture there looks to be enough room to hit it in place)

If the headers are stainless steel (which they look to be) It could be easily repaired via a patch , or whatever was there in the first place.

A TIG welder would be what i would use to fix it. And hell , it would probably be better then it was before (IE won't fall apart)

As for the warrenty question, Even if it WAS covered under the warrenty (which it may or maynot be ,, who knows) do you wanna pay to have that thing taken off , sent off , repaired , then put back on? All for a weld that will take 60 seconds to do? (Cause from that picture there looks to be enough room to hit it in place)

well tha's the problem - if it can be "repaired' i want kooks to authorize a repair center somewhere to perform the weld so that i don't have to remove it and send it back.

if they are out of warranty, even better - then i just need to find a welder to hook me up!

ADS can fix that......

But i guess you knew that anyway....

i most certainly did - but, i'm trying to find my way out of this mess "on the cheap" i mean if they have some sort of lifetime warranty, something like this should be covered - and i want kooks to foot the bill - but if they are out of warranty - how much could a spot like that cost to weld? $20? $50? can't be that much!

Have you talked to Kooks?

just sent an email to info AND Mr. Kook himself :eek

looking for info - hopefully they can assist - we'll see just how much of a stand up company they are! :yesnod

looks like GEORGE KOOKS himself is a member over at CF - and he replied

HERE so i will be calling him in the morning - and it looks like i found the paperwork from MTI for the purchase! :D

Guest AZ Power & Sound

Id repair it for $40... taking the header off is easier said then done from what I hear though!

hell I will fix it for free put some JB Weld in there and call it a day!!! hehehehe :lol

ha ha ha funny guy - would YOU put jb weld on YOUR exhaust manifolds? :toetap

hell I will fix it for free put some JB Weld in there and call it a day!!! hehehehe :lol

I have used JB Weld on exhaust manifolds. Of course it was on a 62 International, not a Vette. It will work! :yesnod

I have used JB Weld on exhaust manifolds. Of course it was on a 62 International, not a Vette. It will work! :yesnod

:huh

i was more thinking of kevins exhaust manifolds for his turbo setup - the headers on the car are stainless steel - i think the best route is tig welding - no JB weld for my car!

Guest AZ Power & Sound

i was more thinking of kevins exhaust manifolds for his turbo setup - the headers on the car are stainless steel - i think the best route is tig welding - no JB weld for my car!

tig or mig is fine... all the same once its on the header. I'll make the offer of $40 again if you want it fixed... all it needs is a small steel plate welded in place.

tig or mig is fine... all the same once its on the header. I'll make the offer of $40 again if you want it fixed... all it needs is a small steel plate welded in place.

thanks mike, i dropped it off last monday for that and a few other things, so hopefully it'll be done tomorrow or tuesday!