• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Two Fangs

• Bigfoot

• Ted Y

• FNBADAZ06

Steve@LPM

I thought everyone goes with the ZR1 gaskets? Same thing?

ZR1 gaskets are 7 layer IIRC. I beleive they make an specific gasket for the 6 bolt heads.

Guest LOUDMIKE

This sounds like an amazing build and they do make special gaskets for the 6 bolt heads in different thicknesses as well. Let us know if we can help in any way and if not let me know the date of the ACE build as I would like to see this beast!!

Two Fangs

Thanks, guys!

I am going to be running custom Cometics, they are spec'ed as a 7 layer MLS with a provision for the 6 head studs.

They are currently waiting on me, because I do not have the block back from Houston yet. Once we make sure that the stack up and deck clearance I have calculated matches the actual stack up and deck clearance, I can order them. If we have variations in stack up, then naturally we are going to change the gasket thickness to keep deck clearance as close as possible to the original measurement I spec'ed the motor at.

Cheers,

Parker

Man things sure have changed since I was wrenchin' on GTO's and Chevelle's in the day. Then we talked about dual point distibutors, carter vs. holley, cams, & header size. You lost me after O-Ringing the heads and ARP studs. I know all the hot block casting numbers, crank casting numbers, head numbers and all that's apparently useless info taking up valuable memory space inside my noggin. Sucks getting old. Your build sounds awesome. I will definitely follow the thread. Maybe I can replace some of my outdated memory space! Roger

Two Fangs

Roger, if it makes you feel any better, I have a crossram 302 Z/28 in the garage, too. I am a huge fan of motown muscle. Sean (Bigfoot99) has seen it. Thanks for your comment, and I look forward to showing you either one of them. Parker

Roger, if it makes you feel any better, I have a crossram 302 Z/28 in the garage, too. I am a huge fan of motown muscle. Sean (Bigfoot99) has seen it.

Yes, yes I have!!! :ED:

Roger, if it makes you feel any better, I have a crossram 302 Z/28 in the garage, too. I am a huge fan of motown muscle. Sean (Bigfoot99) has seen it.

Thanks for your comment, and I look forward to showing you either one of them.

Parker

The legendary DZ motor rated at a measely 290 h.p.! Yea I'd like to see that one too. Never owned one, always wanted one even though I was more into the cubes in those days. No replacement for displacement!

Grayeagle

There's a few of us here an there that got 'into' tunin Holley's, runnin the valves before hittin Central, an the like :)

My first tunnel-ram project car ..L-88 short block, LS6 heads, shaved, matched an ported, thin copper head gaskets, 13.5:1 compression ratio, ..the motor just ate the car over the few years I ran it :)

Posted Image

The center-squirters had 850 baseplates, knife edge throttle plates, smoothed entry areas ..flowed a bit more than '660' CFM :)

Posted Image

That Chevelle was the meanest car I ever put together ..just an Animal Cracker .. was mebbe a bit over 600hp on Daeco.

Could stand it up pretty easy for showin off -evil grin- .. or scarin the *crap* outta someone :)

7600rpm shift point for max hp, with max torque at 6600rpm .. ran a close-ratio 4 gear ..if I ran it to the shift points it was scary fast thru the gears..rarely had to.

There were others over the years.. but this one taught me all about usin a big air pump instead of a small one :)

-Frank

• 1 month later...

The new ID2000 fuel injectors arrived. With the E85 conversion and high boost level required to make over 1000 horsepower, being able to accurately deliver massive amounts of fuel is vital. These babies spray over 210 pounds of fuel per hour (2200 cc's per minute) each.

Posted Image

Here is a comparison of the stock Z06 injector to the new ID2000. The four small holes on the left are where fuel is metered through the stock injector. Compare them to the four enormous slots used for fuel delivery in the new injector on the right.

Posted Image

The new technology used with these injectors allows previously unobtainable minimum pulsewidth response and stability that will allow a stock idle RPM.

The new ID2000 fuel injectors arrived. With the E85 conversion and high boost level required to make over 1000 horsepower, being able to accurately deliver massive amounts of fuel is vital. These babies spray over 210 pounds of fuel per hour (2200 cc's per minute) each.

Posted Image

Here is a comparison of the stock Z06 injector to the new ID2000. The four small holes on the left are where fuel is metered through the stock injector. Compare them to the four enormous slots used for fuel delivery in the new injector on the right.

Posted Image

The new technology used with these injectors allows previously unobtainable minimum pulsewidth response and stability that will allow a stock idle RPM.

Geezus, McFly....210 lbs per hour/each ? At 100% DIC thats over 1600 lbs of fuel per hour for all eight...if gas weighs 6 lbs/gallon, that's 266 gallons per hour. :eek

Yeah, ha ha If I could drive it with the injectors at 100% duty cycle for any length of time, you could watch the gas gauge needle drop rapidly. The pump flows 800 gallons per hour at 45 psi, so at least I don't have to worry about running out of fuel :lol :lol

Final Effort

Have you replaced the fuel lines from the tank to handle the increased fuel volume ?

I have an entirely new fuel system, complete with supply and return lines, regulator and rails. It is designed to all work together. You can see the fuel system in post #22 on the first page of this thead. While it is a bit difficult to draw proportions, the fuel pump in that picture is about the length and diameter of a Nerf football. Cheers! :cheers

Soon, I hope. I have so many parts in boxes, I am running out of room to store stuff. I am waiting for the engine block to arrive from Houston, where I sent it for machine work. I will start filling this thread up with build pics when the block finally makes a grand entrance.

I have storage for all unobtanium vette parts...free. :yesnod You'll just have to clean the drool off.

Ha ha, thanks! I'll keep that in mind when the mean wife :wife: finally says enough is enough.

JNMMotorsports

It sounds like you and me are in the same boat lol. I've decided to switch to e-85 too. I'm going to either run three 255 Walbros or 2 DW300 fuel pumps and 160lb high impedence injectors.

ID1600's would be killer in your set-up. As Dean said, it's a sickness, LOL :chris

Those new Bosch injectors are sweet. I've tuned the 160lb and 200lb versions (ID1600 and ID2000) and while they do idle pretty clean they will ride the minimum pulsewidth at idle on most motor configurations. Dropping the base fuel pressure helps a little bit but they are still a very large injector and act like one even though they are pretty linear for their size.

It sounds like you and me are in the same boat lol. I've decided to switch to e-85 too. I'm going to either run three 255 Walbros or 2 DW300 fuel pumps and 160lb high impedence injectors.

That's the spirit!

Thanks for the input, Nic. It is good to hear from you. I agree, since the system is boost-referenced, and the injectors are so incredibly huge, dropping rail pressure at idle makes a ton of sense. I may send you an email to discuss the scaling of this thing, it appears the PCM is going to be scaled down in all g/sec tables about 75% :willy Since we can't renormalize these tables (thanks, HPT) low resolution and some lower transients are going to be a little cranky. I'd just like to get your thoughts on this.